New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Refund problem - defective software

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

walky

walky is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac

Hi guys! This post may not belong here, but this is the closest I could get to subject.

I downloaded this Syncmate software from a provider called Cleverbridge, paid, the fee $39.95 and received a key. So far so right, right?

Not quite.
[The program is supposedly used to synchronize any iPad, iPhone or Android device (I have also a Samsung tablet) with your Mac.]

First thing that happened was that the key they sent me did not validate the software. Validation failed. The program then asked me to do it manually if I wished. I tried that, which required to go to the site https://activate.eltima.com from another computer (which I did) and download a file to a flash drive (ends with "bin" and does not work for subsequent validations. I have to repeat the process). I then had to get that flash drive with the file and upload to the program and it was activated... For the session.

I want also to ask you to try to connect to the link provided here and report what you see.

Once I turned off my computer (iMac running 10.6.8) and turned it on the next day, the program reverted to the trial version. Uffff!

I did that three times and had enough of that, so I contacted Eltima Software by e-mail. I had a few back and forths with someone who claims to be called Alex Campbell from Eltima Software and he asked me to provide some screen captures of the responses of the software and order number, etc... Normal things.

I provided everything and then he came back saying that I had downloaded a build which had that known problem and he directed me to a new download version. RESULT? Same story.

So, I decided to use Paypal, and asked for a refund, this is still and open claim with Paypal.

The program is supposedly used to synchronize any iPad, iPhone or Android device (I have also a Samsung tablet) with your Mac.

So, the latest thing is that it appears that don't want to refund the $39.95 to my account. They don't say anything about why they key I was sent does not work, what is wrong with it, and why they are not able to issue a working key. That is the usual way to validate your buy of a software. If the key doesn't work, what does that tell you?

I bought this software the 29th of December 2012 and I haven't been able to use it, unless I use another computer, download a file and then bring that file back to my Mac, which is cumbersome, and on top of it, only lasts as long as you keep your mac ON.

I AM POSTING THIS FOR TWO REASONS:

1- I could loose this battle and I want others to be aware of the practices of this two companies, Eltima Software and Cleverbridge, Inc. I am warning youO NOT BUY FROM THEM.

In any other world, a company would gladly refund you the money and keep a customer satisfied if your claim is proved (as I did, they even agree they had this problem) , but they don't. It seems they are delaying refunding until some time is reached, which I think is 45 days form the buy as per PayPal account.

I do mind loosing $39.95 to unscrupulous companies and I dread this becomes standard, although my experience till now had been excellent with other companies.

2- The second reason is to ask for help with data if you have gone through a similar situation where a software definitely does not work and the company refuses to treat you fairly. Have you had success through claims with PayPay? Have you had failing to validate software when downloading the program(s). Any information that can help me solve this amicably and fairly is welcome.

Thanks
I have posted the KEY because it doesn't work. It is invalid.

That is how sure I am that I have followed all their solutions in good faith and none have worked. It seems to me that the "server" they key is supposed to reach is not activated is not connected, up, or whatever is that makes a connection work. Their connection scheme fails and they have deviced an alternate, cumbersome way to "validate" the software for a short time.

Thank you very much.

__________________________________________________ ___________
FOR THE RECORDS:
cleverbridge, Inc. has declined your request for a $39.95 USD refund to
settle this dispute and has posted a new message in the Resolution Center.

Please log in to your PayPal account to view the latest message.

-----------------------------------
Transaction Details
-----------------------------------

Seller's Name: cleverbridge, Inc.
Seller's Email: paypal-us@cleverbridge.com
Seller's Transaction ID: 2BG35434F26432930

Transaction Date: Dec 29, 2012
Transaction Amount: -$39.95 USD
Invoice ID: 40113109
Your Transaction ID: 1NK246042X965134D
Case Number: PP-002-163-220-596

Buyer's Transaction ID: 1NK246042X965134D
Attached Images
File Type: png Response to activate.png (50.1 KB, 58 views)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Your post is clearly one that is off topic for any of our forums, therefore, I moved your post here to our off topic forum "Lounge" and edited your title for a better description.

I wish you luck with obtaining a refund through PayPal, but next time it might be better to use your credit card. I have found it much easier and less stressful dealing with my bank than with PayPal. Just my opinion.
QUOTE Thanks
walky

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Your post is clearly one that is off topic for any of our forums, therefore, I moved your post here to our off topic forum "Lounge" and edited your title for a better description.

I wish you luck with obtaining a refund through PayPal, but next time it might be better to use your credit card. I have found it much easier and less stressful dealing with my bank than with PayPal. Just my opinion.

OK, that is OK, good you found the perfect place for it. I just needed to disclose this information and will continue in other appropriate places. I am burning with disbelief.
QUOTE Thanks
cstg85

cstg85 is on a distinguished road

I know you opened a claim with paypal and emailed back and forth with the company, did you ever call them? I've been in a situation like this before and I called customer support, asked for a manager. Once on the phone I got their name, their direct extension and operator number (if they had one). Another tip, when you call them make sure you keep a calm tone of voice and be civil. Having worked in customer service in the past I always made sure to work with people that were calm and explained their situation. I wish you the best of luck with your issue.
QUOTE Thanks
walky

I elevated the claim to paypal. Paypal awarded it to them, without explaining why to me. Of course they are partners so the process of "elevating to claim" is a joke. From now on, i use paypal only once a year or so when there is no other alternative and have discontinued the practice of buying downloadable software.

I sincerely think that the copy of my software worked on their computers they tested, but it didn't in mine, not even in the cases that they explained it couldn't work ifi had such and such ON, which i reproduced and it still did not work. In those cases any reputable company will refund the money, if you have a special situation where the software doesn't work. I didn't want to cheat them for $40, not worth the trouble, don't you think?

It must be a cheap company that cannot let go of $40 and lets go of a dissatisfied customer. The only thing i didn't do was let them use my computer remotely to meddle with it. They didn't trust me, so i did not let change anything in my computer without my knowing what they would do. I followed all procedures that were available to deal with them to no avail. End of story. Bad company. Software cannot work on special situations (it is buggy) and they will not know why and do not care.

Thank you for your advice, i worked as quality engineer in customer returns for a computer company. I know about returns in a great company willing to understand customers needs and help them.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

This maybe be way off, but humour me please..... how are you installing the software?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
walky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
This maybe be way off, but humour me please..... how are you installing the software?
I Installed it by way of a trial downloadable version, then I ran the key I was sent and it wouldn't validate the software. Simple, no frills installation. I don't understand why you ask, this was explained, it was a dowloadable version, and furthermore, they sent me to another place to download a new version (because that was a "known" problem) which I did,. Didn't work either ... But this is history. The company has "bad customer service" written all over it. Lack of respect to a customer is more relevant to the situation. I felt robbed and raped. No consideration. This was my last "downloadable" software in my life.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't post to upset you, but maybe to resolve the issue.

I can understand you're frustration.

I realise you downloaded it but how exactly did you install it?

You presumably downloaded a DMG file, then what?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

I may be wide of the mark but it sounds as though you're running the application from the disk image (which is read-only). Hence, once you reboot the activation is lost.

If you drag the software from the dmg into your Applications folder, eject the disk image then run the software from your Applications folder you may find you can activate it permanently.

QUOTE Thanks
walky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
I may be wide of the mark but it sounds as though you're running the application from the disk image (which is read-only). Hence, once you reboot the activation is lost.

If you drag the software from the dmg into your Applications folder, eject the disk image then run the software from your Applications folder you may find you can activate it permanently.
Thank you for trying to help. I already deleted what I had installed and I will not try to debug the software for them. I have twenty (since 1993) years of using Macs and know my stuff, but the process is like this. I opened the disk image and installed the application into the Applications folder. I dragged the icon to the Applications dashboard or whatever the name is for the applications strip on the iMac bottom. I ran the software from that icon. The way it should. It was a trial version and was fully installed, though without the validation, everything else was exactly as bought software with a valid key (except without the key of course), no new program was bought with the $40.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

See, MrPlow was just trying to help. We have many people who come here and say they know their stuff yet try and run things out of the DMG or install the DMG in the Applications folder and not the actual App. Since we do not know you, we have to ask questions.

It does sound that you did it correctly. Just being sure.

Thank you MrPlow for helping!
QUOTE Thanks
walky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
See, MrPlow was just trying to help. We have many people who come here and say they know their stuff yet try and run things out of the DMG or install the DMG in the Applications folder and not the actual App. Since we do not know you, we have to ask questions.

It does sound that you did it correctly. Just being sure.

Thank you MrPlow for helping!
I know he wanted to help and I am sure that he is knowledgeable on Mac matters. I sometimes come across as "dry", I know. I am so disgusted mostly by the fact that the company seemed to doubt my honesty. Any of you can download the software and try the key that I published and if it works on your Mac, have a good time with it, because I wouldn't use it if it worked. My gift to anyone who wants to try it. And they said it could be used twice on two computers, so go and knock you off with my $40 for free. I am serious.

Thank you all for your comments, I still cannot understand a company that behaves that way, Thank you all for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I am not backing up the company either. Was just explaining why you were asked questions here. What they did to you sound very bad. Sorry they ripped you off.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

In your screen shot it said it could not contact the Update server. Do you have a firewall enabled? Anything else possibly blocking it from contacting their server? What version of OSX are you running?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

I have no use for the software but got the same trial you did and tried the code to see what would happen. I can shut down and reboot and it works. I have no use for it but maybe we can figure this out for you. I re-read your first message and you said 10.6.8? I wonder if that is the issue as this is 10.8.3 Lion here. I hope I did not do wrong trying the key but you said to do that and I figured I would see what would happen.

Like I said I have no use for the Key or software but just wanted to help you. Do they list a minimum version of OSX on their site?

Just checked and they say 10.6.6 Minimum so it should work. The fact that it's not contacting their server on your end bugs me like I said above.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New Apple User Interface | New cloud storage game in town.. »