New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

17" PowerBook or 15.4" MacBook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Everett

Everett is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 17", 1.67GHz, 2GB RAM, 120 GB HDD. Ipod 20GB

Hello all,

I have just placed an order for one the new 15.4" MacBook Pro cos I have been waiting a few months for the new macs to come out. Ideally I would have wanted the 17" Powerbook as a desktop replacement with the added functionality of carting it around if needs be. That aside, I have just seen the new products and there isn't a 17" equivalence to the PowerBook so i ordered the MacBook Pro, do y'all think its necessary to get the new MacBook Pro or get the 17" powerBook? It doesn't bother me that the Powerbook hasn't got iSight and a remote.

Secondly, since the new mac are about 3x faster, do y'all think this is a noticeable difference when playing games and opening apps.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
homer_j

homer_j will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.

Welcome to MF

if you have already ordered, could our comments change the fact that you have gone with the choice that you have?

I dont think anybody can tell you what the differences will actually be in terms of performance as nobody has used them. The 17" pb is an excellent piece of kit and nobody knows yet of they will bring a 17" version Mac Book Pro just as we don't know if they will look to replace the 12" verion with an equiv.

Your descision should be based upon whether the machine can do the job you need it too and not because the model is the newest

Just the road and my MBP.. wohoo.. No wireless networks - DOH! Oh well, wheres my ipod! :headphone
QUOTE Thanks
Everett

Everett is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 17", 1.67GHz, 2GB RAM, 120 GB HDD. Ipod 20GB

Thanks bro for your info. I think i will change my order and get the 17" book. They are indeed awesome.
QUOTE Thanks
livebig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett
Thanks bro for your info. I think i will change my order and get the 17" book. They are indeed awesome.
If you were buying used, I would say that its no problem, but as far as I remember, the old powebook costs almost the same as the new mac book. I say that the new powerbook will last you longer, as PowerPC applications will start to get faded out. And it is much more powerful.... The Powerbook G4 technology, although great, is still about 3 years outdated.

Would you buy 2002 Car for the same price as a 2006 Car?
even if both were brand new.
QUOTE Thanks
jram

jram is a jewel in the roughjram is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I say that the new powerbook will last you longer, as PowerPC applications will start to get faded out.
Mac will be supported longer than he'll have the new 17in PB.. What do you think everyone is going to go out and buy one?? With that said, the new Macpro is 15.4 in, that isn't that much difference.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Risque Apple Advert | apple developer student discount sucks all of a sudden? »