New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

I have to say...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

I have to say that this is one of the more dissapointing MacWorld expos that I can remember. Ok so we got new intel PowerBooks and iMacs, well that doesn't do me any good. Im not going to go out and buy all new computers just because they're intel processors in them and there is a "MacBook" with Front Row. iLife '06... Im still on '04 and don't have any plans on upgrading. And to top it all off no BlueTooth Mighty Mouse, which buy the way had to of been the most wanted Apple product for the MacWorld expo.

Well I'm dissappointed. Please share your thoughts.

-Ben

QUOTE Thanks
macAttack

macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

macbook? what a lame name!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

They need a Spreadsheet in iWorks. The BT Mighty Mouse is something so many want. So in those ways I am disapointed. The new macs are nice, especially the new MacBook, but the iMac Core Duo while nice, I, even if I could sell my new iMac G5 which I love, will not be buying one. This machine is VERY fast with everything I do. And yes I run AMD 64 systems also and they are very fast, but in most things I do, and trust me, I do a lot of demanding stuff with my computers, the G5 iMac iSight keeps right up.

It's Games where the AMD 64 really shines, and I have one set up just for that.

The new Mac Book though was needed as the G4 is getting old and needed an update.
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice

Another thing that burns me is that there still is not (very needed) iPod update.

QUOTE Thanks
lil

Great things could have happened. And time will tell over the course of the year whether they still will.

Personally I am really intrigued by iLife 06 which was my highlight product personally, since I get so much use out of the products, plus I can put my .Mac account to use which I have had since getting APP in September, and not yet used it at all!

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
macAttack

macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

ben what do u mean by ipod update? for the older generations?
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Quote:
Originally Posted by macAttack
ben what do u mean by ipod update? for the older generations?
Life a firmware update for the video/nano ipods.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil
Great things could have happened. And time will tell over the course of the year whether they still will.

Personally I am really intrigued by iLife 06 which was my highlight product personally, since I get so much use out of the products, plus I can put my .Mac account to use which I have had since getting APP in September, and not yet used it at all!

Vicky
Agreed, I am also impressed with iLife 06. I just wish they added more to iWork. Maybe they will soon.
QUOTE Thanks
lil

Agreed again on that count, there should be a spreadsheet app....

Maybe next year eh

Either way some of the new stuff does look good, I do like iWork but it needs a spreadsheet for me to basically stop using Office to create *new* documents for myself (I'll always call on Office for stuff from outside or stuff needing collaboration between parties).

Either way, iWeb does look great for those not clued up to web design, Garage Band's podcasting stuff is neat, iMovie's improvements look great, iDVD looks better still and the new stuff in iPhoto had me going 'me want, me want!'.

Photocasting is also a very great, and quite cute idea. iLife always impresses my friends and relatives when they see how easy it is to be productive, followed with

"So you can get this on Windows too, right?"

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

I was hoping for Intel iBook or I guess what would be consider a MacBook (non-pro). I just wouldn't use a laptop enough to justify spending that much money on it, but if I was going to spend $2000, that MacBook Pro seems to be pretty amazing.
QUOTE Thanks
lil

Well an Intel iBook would have upstaged the PowerBooks, it would not have been a good idea.

And it sounds like an iBook G4 will more than satisfy your needs.

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

i was dissapointed not to see an update on the minis really i thought that they would have given them an update, nothing to major though

Apple, think different
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Looks like the mac mini and the iBook will update the next time. Most likely before summer.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
lil

Well as Steve said, all the models will move Intel within this year.

Which means most realistically, the Mac Mini and iBook and other Mac Book models will be here in time for Microsoft's Windows Vista, I expect the Power Mac or its intel equivalent using Conroe due for later this year will be the last one to switch over.

Given the intel Mac Mini didn't debut, perhaps it signifies pieces of the jigsaw are not in place, such as Front Row 2 or whatever not being ready, ITMS not having movie downloads yet, or the tv tuner not being ready; and thus it is better to wait until those bits are ready.

Plus the Mac Mini will likely use a Single Core Yonah, much as the iBook or their successor will.

And take heart that this Mac Book thing has Front Row capability, a sign that the iBook and Mac Mini are going to get this capability almost certainly - though I doubt the high end Power Macs will.

Considering the switch was officially noted in June '06, announcing new Intel iMacs and Pow... Mac Books today is actually pretty good going in my books.

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil
Well an Intel iBook would have upstaged the PowerBooks, it would not have been a good idea.

True, I wouldn't have thought the lowest model Core Solo would have been as fast as the highest model PowerBook, but it looks as if it is.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Where to get up-to-date info from the MacWorld Expo keynote tomorrow? | Watching the Mac Expo/ Keynote Adress »