New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Old Mac PowerPC G3 situation...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

phatts50

ok, so i inherited this old g3 that was running OS 8.5 and i found an upgrade to 8.6 online. i upgraded and now it says that my usb mouse (running off of a usb card, pci most likely) cannot be used because it requires too much power... so my question is:

If I get a copy of OS X, will the computer boot straight from the cd or would I have to find a serial or PS/2 mouse to use to set the startup disk to the OS X cd?

Specs for the G3:

300MHz processor
384MB RAM
30Gig hdd

Thanks all.
QUOTE Thanks
jhelm007

jhelm007 is a jewel in the roughjhelm007 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatts50
ok, so i inherited this old g3 that was running OS 8.5 and i found an upgrade to 8.6 online. i upgraded and now it says that my usb mouse (running off of a usb card, pci most likely) cannot be used because it requires too much power... so my question is:

If I get a copy of OS X, will the computer boot straight from the cd or would I have to find a serial or PS/2 mouse to use to set the startup disk to the OS X cd?

Specs for the G3:

300MHz processor
384MB RAM
30Gig hdd

Thanks all.
If your G3 has no built in USB ports, you should be able to use an ADB (apple desktop bus) mouse. These can be had cheap on ebay. then you can install updated USB extensions or drivers for the card or the usb mouse or whatever. If your G3 has built in USB ports, try those.

good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
jhelm007

jhelm007 is a jewel in the roughjhelm007 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatts50

Specs for the G3:

300MHz processor
384MB RAM
30Gig hdd

Thanks all.
Oh and as for your other problem if your G3 is blue you can install most any flavor of OSX, if it is beige I'm not sure it will run anything over 10.2 'Jaguar' so you need to check that out before you spend any $$. good luck.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Books | Router Suggestions »