New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Router Suggestions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nolgster

nolgster is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: powerbook g4

I was using a Linksys 2.4gHz 802.11b router up until yesterday. The router is r.i.p now. I am planning to get the same kind but was wondering if there is something better than that. Is there a newer linksys or anything from Apple. Any suggestion is appreciated. I'm using a PowerBook G4 w/ tiger.

Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
timswim78

timswim78 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powermac Dual G4 1.25 Ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolgster
I was using a Linksys 2.4gHz 802.11b router up until yesterday. The router is r.i.p now. I am planning to get the same kind but was wondering if there is something better than that. Is there a newer linksys or anything from Apple. Any suggestion is appreciated. I'm using a PowerBook G4 w/ tiger.

Thank you
Linksys is a good brand, from my experiences. However, I also bought a bunch of close-out ATT routers for $11 and have installed them at several people's homes without a hitch.

As long as you stick with a name brand that is 802.11g and has WPA, you should be just fine.
QUOTE Thanks
briang

briang is on a distinguished road

in my experience, d-links don't play well with macs, at least the di-624 doesn't. i use a netgear, i like it.
QUOTE Thanks
Biturbo V12 AMG

Get a linksys you can find a G router in the paper for about $50 and that usually comes with a rebate also.
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

i would go with linksys too. i have had a wrt54g for a year now and i have not had a problem.

QUOTE Thanks
toulouse

toulouse is on a distinguished road

We have a battered D-link 614+ and Airport Express and my iBook connects to either just fine. I use the Airport for wireless though cuz it's 802.11g. The d-link is b. And just to make things really convoluted I have the cable modem connected to the router, a pc and the airport exp come off that and everything works fine, including the printer attached to the Airport.

.:Rien n'est si désagréable que d'être pendu plus gran que votre petit ami:.
QUOTE Thanks
homer_j

homer_j will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.

another vote for netgear, got 2 macs and a xp laptop runing from it fine

Just the road and my MBP.. wohoo.. No wireless networks - DOH! Oh well, wheres my ipod! :headphone
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Old Mac PowerPC G3 situation... | iBook Converter to Tablet »