New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Unable to move installers from desktop to folder

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

darkdecoder

Just wondering if anyone knows why on OS X Tiger when after you download certain items to the desktop and install them (such as msn messenger, gmail notifier and other various), you are unable to move them (the installers that is) from the desktop to a folder? It seems to only create an alias into the folder you try and move it to. I've checked to see if the item is locked, but doesn't appear to be. This has me stumped.

Also with programs such as msn, once installed leaves another constant icon on the desktop which dissapears everytime the computer restarts resulting in having to open the .dmg file everytime I need to use msn. The option of keeping an alias on the dock for msn is impossible too.

Is there something I'm missing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Not sure about the first part, but the second part is that you don't have the application installed yet. What you have is what I called a virtual disk. Drag a copy of the application from the white disk icon to your application folder. Once that is done, you will have installed the application. Then you will not need the .dmg file or the virtual disk.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

RMAN got the second part well. For the first part open up Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility. Click your hard drive and then "Repair Disk Permissions". When it is done your problem should be solved.

QUOTE Thanks
darkdecoder

Hey RMAN, I tried doing as you said but it's still creating the "virtual disk" concept on my desktop. When I try to move the white disk icon into the applications folder it simply creates an alias, even after Benjamindaines's suggestion to "Repair Disk Permissions." So I'm not sure where to go from here.

Any other suggestions? Has anyone else ever come across this?
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Something to consider...
Create a downloads folder in your home folder. Tell everything to put downloaded items there (Safari, etc). OS X treats the desktop differently than other folders.

Why drag the "white disk icon" to the Applications folder? Double-click on it..A disk image will mount in the FInder. Drag or install the application itself to the Applications folder, then unmount the image and trash it or save it somewhere else (I burn mine to CD if it's something I want to keep).

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
darkdecoder

Ok I figured it out and basically what everyone was saying was just about right but instead of dragging the white disk icon into the Applications folder, you double click on it. Opening up a window with the MSN icon. You then drag that icon into the Applications folder and you're all done.

Something simple which took me awhile to get my head around. My brain works slowly sometimes *sigh*.

Anyway, thank you to everyone who posted and provided some very useful advise. Much appreciated.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Intels?????? | Store »