New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

convert mp3 player to hard drive for power book g4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hup234

I'm a newbie to this forum, and would appreciate your guidance.

I was given a new 20gb Dell XMP3 player. It's a sad cousin to the IPod which I already own. So, I'm wondering whether it can be converted to an external hard drive for my powerbook g4 running Tiger.

Finder didn't recognize the player when I plugged in its usb cable.

Any ideas?

Pls advise if this post would be more appropriate on another forum

Thanks

Hup
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Have you checked the Rio site for compatibility and use with Mac OS X?

QUOTE Thanks
hup234

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss
Have you checked the Rio site for compatibility and use with Mac OS X?
I'm pretty sure that the Dell mp3 player is not compatible with mac. I'm wondering whether I can re-configure it to make it compatible. What do you think?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

My guess is that if you plug in player and it doesn't mount as a drive by itself, the Mac is not recognizing it for whatever reason. Is there any setting on the player itself or in the documentation on how to set it up as a Drive? Have you looked at Disc utilities to see if the drive shows up there?

QUOTE Thanks
zap2

Check Dell.com but i doubt Mac Support

Return it and buy a Screen
QUOTE Thanks
hup234

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss
My guess is that if you plug in player and it doesn't mount as a drive by itself, the Mac is not recognizing it for whatever reason. Is there any setting on the player itself or in the documentation on how to set it up as a Drive? Have you looked at Disc utilities to see if the drive shows up there?
Just checked Disk Utility. I doesn't show up. No available documentation on the subject, and it's not listed as an option in the Dell's settings.
Good suggestions. Pls keep em coming.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Did you get any Mac gear for Xmas? | Building a G5 »