New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Which is faster? iBook or Powerbook?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

EHUnlucky7x9

EHUnlucky7x9 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.66 Mac Pro, 2.0 CD Blackbook, 2.16 C2D iMac, 1.83 C2D iMac, 800 G4 iMac

Hey guys... I have 2 laptops at home and i need to get rid of one B/C I need cash. I just want to know which laptop is faster? and which laptop would I be better off keeping?

Laptop 1: iBook 600 Mhz, 256 mb RAM, 15 gig HD. Fully working/functioning condition.

Laptop 2: Powerbook 400 Mhz Titanium, 512 mb RAM, 10 Gb HD. The laptop functions properly, but the LCD is completely cracked and needs to be replaced.

I want to keep the faster laptop, but i don't know if the ibook runs as fast as the powerbook. I don't really care about the size of the screen. I know putting a new LCD in the powerbook is goin to take a while and cost much. So any help on deciding would be good. Thaanks guys!
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

Personally I'd go with the functioning iBook and bump up the RAM to at least 512 for starters. Maybe sell the Powerbook for parts?
QUOTE Thanks
EHUnlucky7x9

EHUnlucky7x9 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.66 Mac Pro, 2.0 CD Blackbook, 2.16 C2D iMac, 1.83 C2D iMac, 800 G4 iMac

But in your opinion, the G4 would be faster n the Powerbook would be a better keep if the LCD was working correct?
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHUnlucky7x9
But in your opinion, the G4 would be faster n the Powerbook would be a better keep if the LCD was working correct?
http://lowendmac.com/pb2/pbg4.html
http://lowendmac.com/pb2/ibook700.html

The Powerbook G4 is equal to and greater than the iBook G3 (I didn't look prior to see if both were G4s ). If the cost isn't too great to replace the screen, the Powerbook will be a more lucrative machine.

(Also the iBook would be a better sell as a fully functioning package.)
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

ibook but bump up the specs a bit
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

Powerbook is faster.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« So... It just came.. | Answer to an honest question. »