New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Did you get any Mac gear for Xmas?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamindaines
In Panther I think it still uses iSync
Still running Panther
QUOTE Thanks
Redbrick

Redbrick is on a distinguished road

Got an isight to go with my 15"PB. I like the camera design, but it's a bit large to hang off the laptop LCD panel. The slightest movement to the laptop, and the camera wobbles endlessly. (Even when screwed down.) For the money it really should be able to track the subject like the logitech, and come with a low light capability so an external light source is not required. The shutter should be able to close itself when not 'on air.'

Overall, nice design to go with my PB...and I'm greatful for the gift....just glad I didn't have to spend money on it.

...as for the ichat app...I wouldn't know where to start....it's a joke.

:spook:
QUOTE Thanks
Mactheknife

Mactheknife is on a distinguished road

What's wrong with iChat???
QUOTE Thanks
Redbrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactheknife
What's wrong with iChat???
It's intended capabilities....for steve to suck more $$$ out of us. That's my objection with ichat. The app is pratically useless unless you subscribe to the the ridiculous .Mac service. Yeah you could sign up for the free trial...but what good is trialware/crippleware? One should be able to use that ichat to logon to IRC channels at least or something of that nature...

In fact that concept of money grubbing has been my biggest gripe against apple. I love their hardware....they're all very beautiful as an object itself....and accept the premium price tag, but the hidden strings attached to them make them less appealing to me everyday. For instance...

ipod...steve really wants you to subscribe to itunes music store, but you don't have to...but it is more convenient.
ichat...steve really wants you to subscribe to .Mac service.
What's next? PB...steve really wants to charge you for switching it on???
It's getting ridiculous. Yeah, the're alternatives....but that's another story.

:dummy:
QUOTE Thanks
to_tough_to_die

to_tough_to_die will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM

Well...

The sister got a 60 gig Black to replace her 20 gig 3rd gen (she got it repaired after the battery settlement, but the guys at Best Buy completely ****** it up, it's so scuffed you can't even see the screen).

Mom got my Dad a 4 gig, black, Nano.

And I ended up with $250 toward my 20" Apple external Display for my Powerbook.

So in all that's two 3rd gen 20 gigs, one 4th Gen 60 gig Photo, and two 4 gig Nanos, one black, and one white. That's 5 iPod and a top-of-the-line PowerBook... man Steve Jobs must love my family...

I'd use Windows... but I like the Mac OS more.
QUOTE Thanks
Redbrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_tough_to_die
Well...

The sister got a 60 gig Black to replace her 20 gig 3rd gen (she got it repaired after the battery settlement, but the guys at Best Buy completely ****** it up, it's so scuffed you can't even see the screen).

Mom got my Dad a 4 gig, black, Nano.

And I ended up with $250 toward my 20" Apple external Display for my Powerbook.

So in all that's two 3rd gen 20 gigs, one 4th Gen 60 gig Photo, and two 4 gig Nanos, one black, and one white. That's 5 iPod and a top-of-the-line PowerBook... man Steve Jobs must love my family...
Not yet...steve is still waiting for your family to ALL subscribe to itnues music store....but wait...you need to get the isight too so you can also subscribe to the .Mac service. So...not so fast buddy!

QUOTE Thanks
djlee12

djlee12 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbrick
Not yet...steve is still waiting for your family to ALL subscribe to itnues music store....but wait...you need to get the isight too so you can also subscribe to the .Mac service. So...not so fast buddy!

I'm confused. You don't need to be a .Mac member to use iChat's video confrencing features? In fact, iChat is as much use to an AIM user as it is to a .Mac user. The only feature, at least that I've noticed, that AIM accounts are lacking are secure chats.

DJ Lee

Watts Up Productions
www.wattsupproductions.com
QUOTE Thanks
Redbrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlee12
I'm confused. You don't need to be a .Mac member to use iChat's video confrencing features? In fact, iChat is as much use to an AIM user as it is to a .Mac user. The only feature, at least that I've noticed, that AIM accounts are lacking are secure chats.

Not sure I understand your message, but my understanding and message is that I just discovered a .mac membership is required to effectively use ichat with isight.

You can use isight to do simple video recordings with QT.
QUOTE Thanks
EDIT-XTREEM

EDIT-XTREEM has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
It's intended capabilities....for steve to suck more $$$ out of us. That's my objection with ichat. The app is pratically useless unless you subscribe to the the ridiculous .Mac service. Yeah you could sign up for the free trial...but what good is trialware/crippleware? One should be able to use that ichat to logon to IRC channels at least or something of that nature...

In fact that concept of money grubbing has been my biggest gripe against apple. I love their hardware....they're all very beautiful as an object itself....and accept the premium price tag, but the hidden strings attached to them make them less appealing to me everyday. For instance...

ipod...steve really wants you to subscribe to itunes music store, but you don't have to...but it is more convenient.
ichat...steve really wants you to subscribe to .Mac service.
What's next? PB...steve really wants to charge you for switching it on???
It's getting ridiculous. Yeah, the're alternatives....but that's another story.

I got the new iMac g5 with built in iSight, the isight is pretty useless, other than for iChat and PhotoBooth.

And the remote is good but it is lacking features, have you seen some of the windows media centre remotes, you can do way more than the iMac remote, plus infrared (not bluetooth)(2006 now)

Over all though, great computer

Mac Pro (Early 2009) 8 Core 2.26 GHz, 6 GB Ram, 640 GB Drive. Dell 2408WFP.
QUOTE Thanks
Mactheknife

Mactheknife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Not sure I understand your message, but my understanding and message is that I just discovered a .mac membership is required to effectively use ichat with isight.

You can use isight to do simple video recordings with QT.
Not true at all. You can use .mac or aim and still use video chat with isight. I don't have a .mac account but I use my aim chat with it and the video chat is great.
QUOTE Thanks
EDIT-XTREEM

EDIT-XTREEM has a spectacular aura about

lets not complain about what are macs cant do, lets just hope that the intel mac have thoose features

Mac Pro (Early 2009) 8 Core 2.26 GHz, 6 GB Ram, 640 GB Drive. Dell 2408WFP.
QUOTE Thanks
hammerhead13

I got my 1st Mac, an iBook G4 1.33.
QUOTE Thanks
nateklaiber

got a 23 inch cinema display, an iSight for me and my wife, and my wife bought me a 60GB video iPod. Also, upgraded my 17 in powerbook to 2GB of RAM.

It was a nice Christmas.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactheknife
Not true at all. You can use .mac or aim and still use video chat with isight. I don't have a .mac account but I use my aim chat with it and the video chat is great.
Agreed. My free trial .Mac account expired, oh, 2 years ago now. I can do audio and video chat with iChat just fine without it.

Someone needs to learn a bit more about iChat before they start complaining.

QUOTE Thanks
G5MacMan

Happy New Year fellow Mac Users!
I am currently shopping for my belated desktop G5 present! It is time to move back to a desktop after using a Titanium 1GHz Powerbook for a few years. Just want something with more processing power when dealing with personal video, graphics and image-editing projects. Finding it hard to decide what to buy.
Apple has a great deal on refurbished Dual 2.7s' right now, or should I hedge my bet and go with one of the latest Dual Core models? Got to say @ $2100, the refurbished 2.7 seems to be the best bang for the buck considering its' processing power. I have had good luck with Apple refurbs in the past so that doesn't worry me. On the other hand, Dual Core is the future, right?

Wishing everyone a Happy 2006!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« In the beginning .... | convert mp3 player to hard drive for power book g4 »