New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Stupid .dmg files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ligerzero03

So I got this G4 Mac Sawtooth, and the person that had it supposedly had OS X on it. So he gives me these 4 cd's with .dmg files on them, but the mac is crashed.. so I'm now wondering how I get the .dmg files into a format I can use to burn on my PC.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
ligerzero03

Help?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligerzero03
So I got this G4 Mac Sawtooth, and the person that had it supposedly had OS X on it. So he gives me these 4 cd's with .dmg files on them, but the mac is crashed.. so I'm now wondering how I get the .dmg files into a format I can use to burn on my PC.

Thanks
If you were given CD's with .dmg files of OS X installs, then you were given illegal, pirated copies. Unfortunately, nobody here will be able to assist you.
I would suggest looking on eBay or a similar auction site and try to find a retail version of the OS X install and go from there.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
johninc

johninc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200

psss....
try using someones elses mac, but I no theres a .dmg decompressor out there for pc.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligerzero03

Thanks
What exactly is on the CDs you're trying to get off of them?

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
thoughtCoat

http://www.computing.net/mac/wwwboard/forum/10311.html

Quote:
Ok. I have spent over a week trying to work this one out, and EUREKA! I've FOUND IT!

So many have said it cannot be done. but it CAN.

Ok. Here's how to open a .DMG file on a pc to access the files.

First, download DMG2ISO

http://vu1tur.eu.org/tools/download.pl?dmg2iso.exe

The run the file DMG2ISO shell, and select yoru .dmg file. Then name your output file and convert.

Then.... download daemon tools

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/port...Download&id=34

install it, and in the bottom right corner (running tasks) left click on it's icon, and select drive 0, and then find yoru NEW converted image (it will now be a .iso image since you converted it from .dmg to .iso).

NOW, you should see when you click 'my computer' a cd/dvd drive with the name of the file, like there was a cd/dvd in your machine (of course it is a virtual drive).

Now.... download Macdrive.

http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive6/

After installing Macdrive, you will be able to select VIEW MAC DISKS IN MY COMPUTER! And of course you have a virtual disc in your pc, which you get full access to!

Now just view all the files, and copy, and paste them to a new regular windows folder, or burn them straight to a cd/dvd and you're good to go! (I think you'll have to burn them straight to a dvd or cd in order for a mac to read them, but mac drive has this 'mac cd dvd' facility too!

:-). I had to spread this news as it took hours and hours of research to get this far, and I feel it is beneficial to the computing community.

:-)
QUOTE Thanks
ligerzero03

The cd's have MAC OS X, the os had crashed, and he made backups of them, but in .dmg format...(he really didn't know how to make direct copies.) And he wound up losing all the discs, and luckily found the backups the other night. I thought they were 1/1 copies of them, but I was wrong.
QUOTE Thanks
johninc

johninc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200

To burn the .dmg's using your pc: http://www.download.com/UltraISO-Med...ml?tag=lst-0-1
QUOTE Thanks
maz94protege

maz94protege will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo

how big are the files? if you can, just use a data copier. you can back up and data file....drag and drop files to the cd/dvd etc. I dont know why your trying to copy the files...but we dont need to discuss that. But anyfile that isnt a Music file....can be done on roxio or another DATA CD Copier program.
QUOTE Thanks
thoughtCoat

He already has the .dmg files as data on discs. He needs to mount them and extract the contents so he can rescue his crashed Mac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« downloading flash movies | Sony Ericsson k750i »