New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Is Apple sending the wrong message?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

I was talking to several people at work about my local mall (has an Apple store) and they were all saying how crowed the IPOD store is!! Another person asked if I worked for IPOD (because I knew so much). It seems like your average person (using windows PC) doesn't even know Apple makes the iPod or computers for that matter. It appears like the "Halo Effect" isn't working quite as it's suppose to. What do you guys think?

QUOTE Thanks
aantoine90

aantoine90 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 12 inch 1.33 GHz 512MB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamindaines
I was talking to several people at work about my local mall (has an Apple store) and they were all saying how crowed the IPOD store is!! Another person asked if I worked for IPOD (because I knew so much). It seems like your average person (using windows PC) doesn't even know Apple makes the iPod or computers for that matter. It appears like the "Halo Effect" isn't working quite as it's suppose to. What do you guys think?
I agree with you there. It is very annoying when I people say 'I'm going to the iPod store' or something very similar to that. But what can you do?
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

at least its getting the brand out there, its not like they can rename the ipod to the apple can they :p

but while people are in stores i tend to give them a demo on a mac just to make them aware that we are more than about ipods

Apple, think different
QUOTE Thanks
lil

When I worked in an Apple Centre, I never heard of it being called the iPod store, but many people did not know we were here and often came in after going across the road to PC World (which was opened long after the Apple Centre was), compared to PC World it is tiny, but then we didn't have 50 types of router, and 250 types of ink lined up on the walls :flower:

That said, a healthy percentage came in for solely iPod related things.

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
iNAP

iNAP has a spectacular aura about

I prefer it this way

www.idadgraphics.com
I started using PS from finding this forum and all the help I have gotten here thru the years is immeasurable
thank you MacForums and all it's members
QUOTE Thanks
aantoine90

aantoine90 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 12 inch 1.33 GHz 512MB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNAP
I prefer it this way
Why, may I ask?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I think a lot of young people don't initially realize Apple is about more than just iPods, but later on when they are making their computer purchases, they'll be familiar with the brand and will be much more likely to get a mac...

Older people will probably still remember apple as a computer brand from 'back in the day'
QUOTE Thanks
johninc

johninc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200

Definately agree, it really pisses me off and its not just young people either.
QUOTE Thanks
iNAP

iNAP has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by aantoine90
Why, may I ask?
I think if Apple were as popular as Microsoft the brand would not be as trouble free as it is,( it's not perfect I know this).I could be wrong but in this case I would say less is more. Without getting into statistics and a long boring post, Apple has a slogan that I think says it all, "Think Different" think about that, it makes sense.

www.idadgraphics.com
I started using PS from finding this forum and all the help I have gotten here thru the years is immeasurable
thank you MacForums and all it's members
QUOTE Thanks
lil

Last night on BBC1 there was one of those Test the Nation Quiz things about 2005. It's the programme where you can see Phillip Schofield's rapidly progressing age on full view, his silver spikey hair and a sense that with everyday that goes by that Gopher is not coming back...

..but I digress and probably lost half the demographic with that anyway...! :flower:

On there, the celebs were quizzed about iPods and whether they had one and one celeb said she had three, when asked why she said

"...because Mac keep on coming out with them."

Interesting :flower:

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
johninc

johninc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200

Wish I had BBC, I watched it everyday when I was in Britain. Well if it was a celeb who has a close realationship with apple like Madonna or Bono then I wouldn't be surprised.
QUOTE Thanks
maz94protege

maz94protege will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo

Yea i walked into Apple a few months back, always thought the ipods were stupid and there was nothing good made by apple. then i suddenly bought the ipod mini...researched the mac and think its the greatest company ever. their stocks have greatly grew in the past 5-10years. and one of the smartest companies out there i think.

As far as people knowing anything about apple. They need to watch more tv and get into the "Grip" these days. But that leaves more ipods for us people who know about them...able to get one.
QUOTE Thanks
lil

Though 10 years ago they were teetering on the brink of bankruptcy...

And we have been here before kinda, where Apple has had a resurgance and then it going quiet again, such as when the original iMac G3 came along in 1998...

Maybe this time is a little different. Who knows?
QUOTE Thanks
jy106

I suppose the same thing has happened with microsoft's xbox, alot of people wouldn't know they were microsoft's creation.
QUOTE Thanks
to_tough_to_die

to_tough_to_die will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil
Though 10 years ago they were teetering on the brink of bankruptcy...

And we have been here before kinda, where Apple has had a resurgance and then it going quiet again, such as when the original iMac G3 came along in 1998...

Maybe this time is a little different. Who knows?
Considering I actually own stock in Apple I'd hope that wasn't going on, as it went from trading at $35 a share to $5 with announcement of the iMac G4 :black: ...

Anyway, I think the iPod is a double-edged sword these days for Apple and the MP3 player industry in general.

While it gets the Apple name out there, it doesn't help get rid of the misconceptions of the Mac ("but I won't be able to use *insert product here*, when they can, they're just to stupid to understand that they need a Mac version"), it's mostly just good for profits.

As for the MP3 player market, I wouldn't own two iPods if I didn't think they were the best out there , however many people aren't smart about buying one. Alot of people buy them and don't even know how to use them, they just want it because the iPod is "hip". It's really sad in a way. I'd much rather people actually want an iPod over other MP3 players on the market, rather than people just wanting one.

I'd use Windows... but I like the Mac OS more.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Converting Mac/Files to Palm | intel powerbooks - software compatability »