New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

New Vehicle and Speed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dmachine

dmachine is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Black Macbook Intel 2GHZ CD, 2GB RAM

I was told that with new vehicles it isnt good for the engine to do over 65MPH for the first 1,000 miles. Is this true?

Aluminum MacBook 2.4ghz 4GB RAM,Black iPod Nano 8GB,Black 30GB iPod, 16GB Black 3G iPhone
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Interesting question, whwn I was younger it was 55mph. It maybe true on a manual transmission, because you want to work through all of your gearing. Not sure on an automatic.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Fallooza

Fallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant future

it will tell you the manufacturers recommendations in the manual.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Yeah I heard the same thing recently, and the speed was 55-60.. so I guess anywhere around that is good. I am curious about it myself.
QUOTE Thanks
Fallooza

Fallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant future

i think it has more ta do with the rpms not the speed.
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

yes, its the rpms over a long period of time. Its best to visit alot of distant people and get alot of easy miles on the engine before you travel any faster than around 3500rpm for more than 10-15minutes. or so it would seem...
QUOTE Thanks
hollerz.mac

hollerz.mac will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Dual 2GHz PowerMac G5 + 20" Apple Cinema Display

yeah when i got my car brand new the manual said keep it below 3,000RPM for the first 600 miles. I did that and then gradually increased the RPM untill over 1,000 miles just to be safe.
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

its all aload of tosh anyway as nearly all car engines are pre-run in now anyway

Apple, think different
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

it is still good to break anything mechanical in a bit before you use it. my advice would be to not baby your car and to not race it. drive like an old woman for your first two oil changes (sorry for the stereotype).
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
twotone

Actually, you can go any speed you want, 5 mph, 150 mph.
You just don't want to keep it at the same speed for an extended period of time. In other words, change up the speed now and than for the first few hundred miles. It is true that modern engines are all broken in at the factory.
Don't baby it. It likes it!
QUOTE Thanks
sevenhelmet

sevenhelmet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum Macbook 2.4Ghz; Powermac G5 2.3Ghz dual

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotone
Actually, you can go any speed you want, 5 mph, 150 mph.
You just don't want to keep it at the same speed for an extended period of time. In other words, change up the speed now and than for the first few hundred miles. It is true that modern engines are all broken in at the factory.
Don't baby it. It likes it!
Yep- what you're all describing is the normal wearing-in period for the rings. My recommendation is to allow the engine a little time, perhaps 15 seconds after starting so the cylinder liners can warm up, and then for the first 600 miles or so avoid any "shock" loading, i.e. jamming on the gas, unless it is absolutely necessary (drivers here in Pensacola are INSANE!) If your dealer gives you RPM recommendations, try to stay within them. Actually for wear in periods, it is BETTER to run the engine at steady speeds. Start at a medium RPM, say 2500 to 3500 max depending on your engine (sportier engines tend to run faster, call it 50% of redline) and drive it at no higher than this speed for the first few hundred miles, then GRADUALLY increase your RPM "limit".

This applies more to rebuilds though, because as people have said, "new" car engines are factory run-in. Otherwise people would blow their engines all the time.

"Luck favors the prepared"
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all

Yeah Im looking to buy a Honda and so I was at a Honda dealership today and asked that question since it came up on the board today and the Honda dealer said that you do not need to do anything with a Honda.. so no breaking in period.. Now other makes.. I have no idea
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflexion
its all aload of tosh anyway as nearly all car engines are pre-run in now anyway
I agree. It is my opinion that manufacturers only recomend this as a ploy to lessen the chances of speeding and speed related accidents. Here in the US, the fastest posted speed limit on highways is 65 mph. Coincidence? I think not. They suggest that you do it for a long enough time, in hopes that you will forget about a "breaking in" period and just keep driving the posted limit.
Car engines are designed to run safely and smoothly. They are tested and pre-run. Sure, just as it is with any complex machine, breakdowns and mishaps can occur. But it has very little and next to nothing to do with how fast you drive during your first 3000 miles.
I myself, don't drive at excessive speeds. This is not to say that I don't speed, I have set the cruise control for 75 mph on long, highway trips. Yet, 75 mph is hardly excessive. As long as you are driving safely and paying attention to the road, it really wouldn't matter what speed you drive your car at.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
damontgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
Here in the US, the fastest posted speed limit on highways is 65 mph.
I know this is still true for the majority of the states, but some highly traveled roads got a recent bump. I-65 anyone? I know one highway in Florida that we used to take all the time has been at 70 mph for at least 5 years. I believe there may even be some ares where the posted limit is 75, but don't quote me on that.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Yeah some here in California at 70, up in Washington state also. There used to be some areas in Montana that did not have a speed limit.. no idea if they are still there though.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Celebrate Christmas? Post a pic of what you want! | someone posted a picture on here recently »