New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Problems wireless networking, PC and Mac, please help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsutiger123
is there some way where i can find out the IP address on my mac, then go to the XP computer and tell it to connect to that one. What is the DHCP server and why cant my XP computer connect to that? that seems to be the problem

I would assume OS X would turn on a DHCP server when you turned on Internet connection sharing. Go to the network setting, you can find the IP address.
QUOTE Thanks
ligerzero03

A Macintosh computer, with the Apple AirPort card installed & connected to the internet either through the Ethernet or USB port, can share its internet connection with other computers, without the need of an Access Point or a Base Station.

On the computer sharing its internet connection (i.e. the one with the Apple AirPort card installed):
In OS X (System Preferences:Sharing:Internet:Start), turn Internet Sharing on.
In OS 9.x, start the Software Base Station feature of the AirPort application.

Now, you can connect your other computers to the internet using our 802.11b wireless products (PC Card, PCI Card, USB adapter). Open MacWireless Control Panel. The sharing computer should show up in 'Select from list...' in MacWireless Configuration window. Also remember to select MacWireless in 'Connect via' setting of your TCP/IP Control Panel.
QUOTE Thanks
ligerzero03

I just found that info...it seems like they make it sound like mac only.
QUOTE Thanks
lsutiger123

one thing i noticed: when i look at the available networks in the XP network connections, all of the available ones say 'wireless network' while mine says 'computer-to-computer network.' does that mean i need to be directly connected via a cable to the mac? if so, how can i setup a wireless network from my mac
QUOTE Thanks
ligerzero03

computer to computer is an ad-hoc network, which means it's meant for just your mac connecting to one more computer...not any others.
QUOTE Thanks
ligerzero03

lsutiger123 do you have aim?
QUOTE Thanks
lsutiger123

i do my name is bigboy7267
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I got it working over here with a XP Gateway laptop with Dlink WiFi card. You have to go to services under Sharing and enable Web Sharing. Also it kept getting the stock IP in XP till I kept messing with it, then it got an IP from the Mac and works like a champ. It also seems to do DHCP quite well as I fired up another system and both have one number different IP address's and surf the net just like they were connected directly or with my access point I normally use.

It will work. Let me know if you still have problems. XP seemed to take a long time to get the proper IP from the Airport.
QUOTE Thanks
lsutiger123

well the XP keeps getting an IP address but it wont let me use anything having to do with the internet. Is there some way that you assigned the mac IP to it?
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsutiger123
well the XP keeps getting an IP address but it wont let me use anything having to do with the internet. Is there some way that you assigned the mac IP to it?
Whats the IP that it is getting? post all the info you get when doing ipconfig.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Did you turn on Web Sharing under the Sharing in System Properties? It's under Services. Make sure it's checked or Apple says it will not give you an internet connection unless it's checked. What is the IP your windows XP box is showing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sharing1.jpg (48.3 KB, 5 views)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Just found this (its amusing) | SpeakMac »