New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

I Bought A Windows PC....Is Something Wrong With Me?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ctrl-Opt-Del

Ctrl-Opt-Del is a jewel in the roughCtrl-Opt-Del is a jewel in the roughCtrl-Opt-Del is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Not got one, yet...

Honestly, OP - in the nicest possible way - it kinda feels like you're trying too hard to fit-in here...

This is an OS X (& other Apple software/hardware in general) appreciation site, not a Windows (and/or Microsoft) bashing site, per se. Discussion of "the other OS" is fine, where appropriate. Indeed, there is an entire forum dedicated to running Windows - among other OSes - on Macs in addition to OS X (or even, hypothetically, instead of OS X or classic Mac OS). There's no sin, even here, in using a PC rather than a Mac.

Of course, if you decided you preferred Windows to OS X & then came back here to bash Macs, you'd obviously not be very popular; but you'll not win any friends here by being an over-eager fanboy either. It grows tiresome surprisingly rapidly...

Enjoy your computer; and if you get too fed-up of it just swallow your pride, sell it on, and use that money to buy yourself a nice cheap second-hand Mac & an economy (Pentium 4/512MB RAM/WinXP type machine, like you can get on eBay for the same price as an Apple TV box these days) PC for the one purpose you've found Macs lacking in.

Best of luck

For my purposes as an engineering undergraduate; Windows is respectable (& generally necessary), Linux is admirable (& often useful), OS X is enjoyable (& requires no further justification, although plenty could be given)!
QUOTE Thanks
hookbill

hookbill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl-Opt-Del View Post
Honestly, OP - in the nicest possible way - it kinda feels like you're trying too hard to fit-in here...

This is an OS X (& other Apple software/hardware in general) appreciation site, not a Windows (and/or Microsoft) bashing site, per se. Discussion of "the other OS" is fine, where appropriate. Indeed, there is an entire forum dedicated to running Windows - among other OSes - on Macs in addition to OS X (or even, hypothetically, instead of OS X or classic Mac OS). There's no sin, even here, in using a PC rather than a Mac.

Of course, if you decided you preferred Windows to OS X & then came back here to bash Macs, you'd obviously not be very popular; but you'll not win any friends here by being an over-eager fanboy either. It grows tiresome surprisingly rapidly...

Enjoy your computer; and if you get too fed-up of it just swallow your pride, sell it on, and use that money to buy yourself a nice cheap second-hand Mac & an economy (Pentium 4/512MB RAM/WinXP type machine, like you can get on eBay for the same price as an Apple TV box these days) PC for the one purpose you've found Macs lacking in.

Best of luck
Well, whether or not you think I'm trying to fit in or not doesn't matter. I wasn't saying anything in regards to PC vs MAC, quite honestly when I started the thread I was literally in a state of shock over what I had done.

Now that it's been a couple of weeks and I've got a little familiar with this OS I would say that I prefer a Mac Lion OS but not to the point where I need to swallow my pride and get another Mac. I still have my iMac sitting on the desk next to me. It was not problem free, but it wasn't a big problem when I did have an issue.

I miss my magic mouse tremendously. When I first got this machine I was trying to switch browsers, home pages etc. to what I wanted and it fought me tooth and nail. Everytime I reboot it says it has files to burn to a disk but these files are nothing more then an iTunes short cut.

But overall I'm OK with it and until I get another Mac somewhere down the road. I won't be comparing OS. Anyway I still have my iPad. I'm still very much a Mac person. Don't post here much anyway.

So thank you for your commentary. Good luck to you and I wish you all well.

Proud Owner Of the TiVo S3 and TiVoHD
Mac Snow Leopard 24" desktop 1tb hard drive
QUOTE Thanks
dauber

dauber is a jewel in the roughdauber is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04

Hey, don't feel bad...I've purchased two PCs in my life -- both used to ensure that Microsoft wouldn't get my money. (Also, both dual-booted so that the default OS is Ubuntu.)

But really, I find that I DO need a PC within reach, as 1) I'm a freelance computer tech, and having the PC around helps me with troubleshooting, and 2) much as I love my Macs, there isn't an audio ripping program out there that can hold a candle to Exact Audio Copy in terms of accurate, glitch-free rips. I take my music seriously, so when I put my CDs onto my iPod, I need to have the best I can get.
QUOTE Thanks
G4 ibookboy

G4 ibookboy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: g4 ibook 1.2/512 leopard, 2007 MacBook 2.0 c2d lion, 20" imac 1.8 cd , 2010 mac mini

about a month or 2 ago I had to buy a windows laptop... my iBook was stolen at the local coffee shop. couldn't find a decent used mac on my area's craigslist so I bought a acer that has windows 7 on it. it works decent which was a surprise since it has windows on it and microsoft is generally crap. I still use the acer but couldn't wait for the day I found my current laptop a 2007 macbook with lion. I am much happier with os x and don't miss constant windows updates and anti-virus updates a few times a day.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4 ibookboy View Post
it works decent which was a surprise since it has windows on it and microsoft is generally crap.
Are you conflating Windows and Microsoft? If so, I (and many others) would likely disagree. Microsoft, like every company, has developed good and bad things.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Microsoft, like every company, has developed good and bad things.
Just to be argumentative (I'm still low on coffee), what would some of those good things be (other than MS Basic)?

Every other good product that I can think of they didn't really develop per se, but copied (MS Word, Excel, Office in general).

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
Just to be argumentative (I'm still low on coffee), what would some of those good things be (other than MS Basic)?
I like the Xbox - I had the original and loved it. Visual Studio is also a pretty decent development tool. I also like WP7/7.5. Some good games have also been made under the MS umbrella (in some form) including Halo and Age of Empires. Office for the Mac isn't bad either. And, although not related to their products, they've got a fairly good reputation for their treatment of LGBT individuals.

Quote:
Every other good product that I can think of they didn't really develop per se, but copied (MS Word, Excel, Office in general).
Did they not buy Office from someone? I may be wrong on that one.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Some good games have also been made under the MS umbrella (in some form) including Halo and Age of Empires.
Oh now you REALLY can't give MS credit for those. Halo was under development by Bungie long before MS bought Bungie out, and they bought them out specifically for Halo to launch with the XBox. As of AoE, they only published it… the actual development was by Ensemble Studios.

That aside, I do disagree with the sentiment that everything MS makes is garbage. For example, I use and prefer their "Natural" wireless mouse. No one else makes one that I find as comfortable to use. My sole dislike is this massive wireless dongle it needs. I wish they'd re-do this in Bluetooth, or with the really tiny dongle like Logitech has these days.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu). Also advise us if you have any antivirus or "cleaning" software installed on your Mac. If you are using MacKeeper, you are hereby advised to uninstall it.
------
Links to commonly recommended software and instructions: Onyx | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | How to reveal the User Library
------
Having issues with Safari? Adware is on the rise. See this guide on how to remove it: The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Oh now you REALLY can't give MS credit for those. Halo was under development by Bungie long before MS bought Bungie out, and they bought them out specifically for Halo to launch with the XBox. As of AoE, they only published it… the actual development was by Ensemble Studios.
With regards to Halo - fair enough. They certainly had a hand in it and more so now with 343 but weren't the main developers. As for AoE, Ensemble (the developers) were bought out by MS in 2001 so part of the franchise was developed under their name.

Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I was really just being argumentative . . . and I was aiming at new products developed by MS rather than copies or updates of existing products.

FWIW I do use and enjoy the following MS products, prefering them over alternatives

MS Word
Excel
MS Project

I have never touched an XBox, but would probably class it as a PlayStation clone in keeping with the original intent of my post

Don't recognize WP7/7.5. What is that?

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Don't recognize WP7/7.5. What is that?
Windows Phone 7 or 7.5. Having given it a run around and seeing what MS is doing with it, I have to say that I like it. I really do wish that it was a widely adopted third option in the market. Unfortunately, it looks like MS is going to run into Android-esque fragmentation issues.

Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Aaah! I see.

I wouldn't even consider a Windows phone . . and that has nothing to do with Windows itself (at least directly). Integration of contacts, messages and reminders between my iPad and iPhone is a must.

As long as I use an iPad I will also use an iPhone. So, there is one scenario for me switching, if I trade my iPad for a Surface Tablet.

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
I was really just being argumentative
Ah, I see I've been rubbing off on you. I get the feeling that in real life, we'd either get along really well or not at all.

Quote:
Aaah! I see.

I wouldn't even consider a Windows phone . . and that has nothing to do with Windows itself (at least directly). Integration of contacts, messages and reminders between my iPad and iPhone is a must.

As long as I use an iPad I will also use an iPhone. So, there is one scenario for me switching, if I trade my iPad for a Surface Tablet.
You know, there are other services other than iCloud. (Me being argumentative this time!)

Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Ah, I see I've been rubbing off on you. I get the feeling that in real life, we'd either get along really well or not at all.
You mean this isn't real???

I took my BP this morning so I'm still kicking.

Regardless, I assure you I am just as charming (or annoying) when I am physically present.

QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
With regards to Halo - fair enough. They certainly had a hand in it and more so now with 343 but weren't the main developers. As for AoE, Ensemble (the developers) were bought out by MS in 2001 so part of the franchise was developed under their name.
Developed under their name by a studio that was allowed to run independently as if they had never been acquired. Or so I gather from the Wikipedia entry. So no… I don't see how MS can be credited with anything more than funding the existing development team.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu). Also advise us if you have any antivirus or "cleaning" software installed on your Mac. If you are using MacKeeper, you are hereby advised to uninstall it.
------
Links to commonly recommended software and instructions: Onyx | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | How to reveal the User Library
------
Having issues with Safari? Adware is on the rise. See this guide on how to remove it: The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac to PC to Mac to PC and back again | Bought one for my parents »