New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

W00t.. just cuz I'm happy

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TeckniX

I wasn't sure where to post this up, but I figured I'd share my luv for my very first owned brand new mac LOL
It's actually really cool, but a very weird feeling when I look back at the money spent.
But here it is:

Machine Name: PowerBook G4 15"
Machine Model: PowerBook5,8
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.5)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.67 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz

System Version: Mac OS X 10.4.3 (8F46)
Kernel Version: Darwin 8.3.0

Although now I keep on wondering if I shouldn't change to the X11 window system anyone wanna give their input?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Congrats, that's a nice machine.

Why though would you want to chance to the X11 window system? There's like zero need to do that.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
lil

It doesn't quite work like that. Mac OS X has its own window server, essentially that's the Aqua user interface that you see every time you use your Mac, to replace it with X11, well that would be akin to essentially using Darwin (the BSD core of Mac OS X) - and loosing the beautiful UI and loosing out on some genuinely great 'native' Mac OS X programs.

If you hear things about Cocoa/Carbon - they're not the same thing (a misnomer if you will) as they aren't a user interface system per se.

X11 is there for apps you have compiled or installed that aren't Mac specific applications. As such it is there for when you want to run these applications such as GIMP, OpenOffice.org and other assorted bits, see the attached screenshot.

Aqua and X11

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PS3 Question | What KVM should I get? »