New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Advice with upgrades...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mraya

mraya is a jewel in the roughmraya is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB

I'm thinking about doing some upgrades to my PC, wich is mostly used for games (EQ2). Right now it has:
- AMD64 3200
- ATI Radeon 9600 w/ 128mb
- 1gb of RAM (512mb PC2700 x2)
- 80gb HD 4200rpm (i don't know how much cache)
So my question is wich one should i change (besides the CPU and the motherboard) and/or wich one should improve the performance better? I want to keep the price around or bellow $100, but i'm not sure wich change should have the best effect. Thanks for any advice.

[is pointless to click here]
QUOTE Thanks
chouk

chouk is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook g4, 14'', 1.33 Ghz, 60gig, 768ram, Mac OsX 10.4.3

i would go better gfx card. Nvidia 6800gt, 7800gt?...
and maybe an affordable 7200rpm h.disk.

QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Pick up a Radeon 9800 Pro 256bit for under $100. You might have to buy used/refurb, but I think that would be the best upgrade for the money.

Are you sure you have a 80gb 4200RPM drive? Thats really odd for a desktop. I would check the black friday deals to see if you can get a cheap/free 7200 rpm drive.
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

GFX card first then the Hard Drive if you can afford it, then make a ghost image of your current set up so you can just copy it across onto a new drive

Apple, think different
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

I agree with mynameis. The video card would give you the most improvement in games. The AMD 64 CPU, even the 3200 is quite fast. The Radeon 9800 sounds like a winner. I upgraded from a 9600 to the 9800 Pro and it was a big improvement in gaming.

Are you sure that Hard Drive is not a 5400 RPM drive? A 7200RPM Drive would help loading times but the Video Card would really give you better gaming performance at higher resolutions. EQ2 is a very demanding game.
QUOTE Thanks
mraya

mraya is a jewel in the roughmraya is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB

Thanks for the advices, i will upgrade my video card next week and i think i'll be able to upgrade my hard drive a little later. My hd is 3 or 4 years old, so i think is time to change it anyway, i spend all my day re-installing WinXp wich help me a bit with the performance and also make me love my iBook even more, i wish i could get rid of these [insert here extrange names in forbiden languages] PC, but my brother refuses to let it go.

[is pointless to click here]
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16814102362R
then check bfads.net for a HD deal. CompUSA has 160gb SATA for $20 AR, Best Buy has a 120gb for $30 AR, and Staples has a 200GB for $30 AR.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I think one of my neghbors is on my wireless network | superdrive help »