New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Organizing Sales and Trades

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

I have several pieces of electronic equipment which I have posted on several internet classifieds too sell. I've just gotten a couple offers that I intend to accept, but I needed some help.

How do I go about making sure I don't get screwed. What is the etiquette for internet sales? Do I ship first and wait for payment, or vice versa? In other words, how do I get my money?
QUOTE Thanks
timswim78

timswim78 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powermac Dual G4 1.25 Ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs2sensen
I have several pieces of electronic equipment which I have posted on several internet classifieds too sell. I've just gotten a couple offers that I intend to accept, but I needed some help.

How do I go about making sure I don't get screwed. What is the etiquette for internet sales? Do I ship first and wait for payment, or vice versa? In other words, how do I get my money?
If you are trading online, you should absolutely be using a legitimate feedback system, such as heatware.com. Also, you should trade the items in a well-visited and well-moderated forums. I would suggest the For Sale / For Trade sections at http://forums.anandtech.com and http://hardforum.com. Both of these forums have rules to protect both you and the seller. Please make sure that you read them and follow them to keep things safe and fun for everyone.

Also, the trollhunters are a group of individuals that help people caught up in bad trades. Their website has great suggestions for being safe when buying and selling online. http://www.trollhunters.com.
QUOTE Thanks
hojkoff_101

hojkoff_101 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4Gb RAM

Try and use paypal. I got screwed out of my money and paypal totally refunded it for me. You can use paypal for any sort of money transfer it doesn't have to be ebay.

Wait to get all your money before you post anything! If the buyer sends cheque then wait for it to clear even if this means waiting 5 working days or whatever for it. Clearly state in your adverts that you're going to wait for money to be transferred before anything is sent. If they choose a slow method then thats there problem don't make it yours. Don't send stuff first. It leaves you very vulnerable.

Even if the sites that you post on look good it only take one waster to screw you so my advise to you is to be very very careful and cautious about this. If something sounds just not quite right then its probably not so just walk away.
QUOTE Thanks
Pizza God

This is the biggest problem. When I was on eBay, it was always payment first-either PayPal or by mail, and then it was Postal Money Orders only. If you are doing a swap, what I've done is agreed to send the stuff out at the same time and then we call from the post office with tracking info.

Nothing beats having somebody hand you cash, although if you don't care to meet people or on a tight schedule this is not a good alternative.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« The Perfect Operating System | what kind of car is this? »