New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Who are you? What do you do? How did you get there?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

edgefusion

edgefusion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram

I'm studying graphic design at Cornwall College (UK) hoping to go on to do a BA in graphic design and get a job in the industry.

QUOTE Thanks
Conehead778

Conehead778 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Imac G5 17 inch w/ 1 gig of ram, 6 gb ipod mini, and 12" Powerbook G4

Working on an Information Science Degree at the university of Arkansas at Little Rock
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Degrees: Associate of Arts in Art and Associate of Arts in Business Administration

Degrees in progress: Bachelor of Arts in Studio (graphic design+photography) and Bachelor or Science in Art Marketing (both will be completed Fall '06)

Currently work for a department in the school doing video editing.

From what people have told me BFA to MFA for art students is good b/c they are "professional" degrees but if you are good and have a good portfolio and experience as far as internships and good contacts you can make it with a BA and an MA. A degree is pretty much a degree any way you slice it. My father has a Master's in history and what he does, which is government related, is not anything for what he went to school for.

I want to be a freelance photographer and own my own design company. I also want to own a gallery which focus on up and coming artists.
QUOTE Thanks
hojkoff_101

hojkoff_101 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4Gb RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinblack
What if I don't know what Morrison's is :p
Then you're a spoon!

lil can I just ask, what made you do a degree in geography? You seem very into your computers. Whenever you answer one of my questions Im sure that most of it's not in English! Did you ever consider a degree in computer science or something like that?
QUOTE Thanks
lil

Hey there :flower:

If I got a pound for everyone who asked that, hehe. But I'll explain succinctly. This was not a decision of arrogance or "I am better than that", but I just felt a Computer Science Degree couldn't offer me anything I didn't already know or would soon learn, as it stands I can program in C, C++, Objective C, PHP, SQL, VisualBASIC, Visual BASIC for Applications and probably a whole kaboodle of defunct languages. My knowledge on databases is such that I wrote a whole system that now runs a successful business... And I have done all this without the need for a computer science degree.

Beyond this was my motivation for going to Uni' itself, it wasn't simply to expand my pay packet potential at the end of the day, I wanted to do something that I was deeply interested in and felt would expand me as a person in other ways. geography was that, I love learning about people, society and I adore travelling - I thrive on it. It was new, challenging and fresh, and ultimately for me more rewarding that sitting down in a room going through dumb ADA or Pascal programs I could do the computer bit in my own time whilst doing another degree that benefitted me as a person in ways that computer science would not have.

I'm good with computers, especially Macs, I like computers too, but my fingers remain in many pies :flower:

Vicky (...and that was the short answer...!)
QUOTE Thanks
Merlinblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by hojkoff_101
Then you're a spoon!

lil can I just ask, what made you do a degree in geography? You seem very into your computers. Whenever you answer one of my questions Im sure that most of it's not in English! Did you ever consider a degree in computer science or something like that?
What is a spoon
QUOTE Thanks
lil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinblack
What is a spoon
The thing I'm just about to tap your forehead with hehehe :flower:

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil
Education: BA (Hons) Geography
Employment: Ex-AppleCentre iLife Consultant, accredited to Apple Product Professional status.

Current Employment: Between jobs.... *sniff*
What do I do: Mac user, artist and writer, programmer and web design.

http://www.lilserenity.com

Vicky
If you are looking for employment along the south coast (well more specifically just outside Southampton) I could probably assist. Let me know if you are interested as you sound like the sort of person that my employers are always looking for.

It isn't Mac based but we have need of unix skills allied with strong programming in a wide variety of lingos, C, Ada, Perl etc. In particular we are currently attempting to persuade management that we need to embrace the web more fully by incorporating wikis and technical forums into our development arena and also to switch over to using UML based design tools allied with open source solutions for defect tracking and management (i.e BugZilla).

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
drummaman1

drummaman1 is on a distinguished road

School(s): SUNY Potsdam - Bachelors in Music Education
A+Certification - BOCES CWD (Ask me what the acronyms mean... ):rolleyes:

What I do: contract position - image quality technician
What I do...in ENGLISH - scanner operator ...FUN!

What I want to be doing: A professional recording and touring musician (drummer) :cool:

...I'm working on the last one. Easier said, and dreamt, than done.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Has Apple corrupted your writing skills? | Firewall »