New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Sharing data...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

crybaby

Hey

My first post, it hurts a little bit.
I have a Powermac G5 and a PC that I have built. Most of my time is spent working on my mac but I download music using PC apps on my PC. I have about a 120GB of mp3 on the PC.
What I would like to do is to be able to continue with the same set up but to be able to open all that music in the iTunes library.
What way should I go about it, a external HD or should I network ...anyhow remember that you are talking to a noob so don't hold back.

I have a wireless B net work in my home and I have some spare externals laying around but any other suggestion would be welcom!!!
I would likt to leave the data on the internal drive on the PC but I guess I can make an external out of it.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chouk

chouk is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook g4, 14'', 1.33 Ghz, 60gig, 768ram, Mac OsX 10.4.3

you should network both pc and mac. you can check my own tutorial here. hehe
http://www.chouk.co.uk/macsharing/

If you want to share your itunes music, the itunes on your pc and mac should be open.
SInce all ur musics are on your pc, go to itunes>preferences>sharing. Check the "share my music".

Back to your iTunes on mac, go to preferences>sharing and check "look for shared music"

Once it's done, go to your mac and you should eventually be able to see all ur pc's music files. BUt dont forget that your itunes on pc should be open.

QUOTE Thanks
Fallooza

Fallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant future

5.Connect your ethernet cable between your pc and mac. After a while you should see some folders in your network.
Be patient. It might take some time before you see folders popping up in yhe network.
Voila! You can now mount your drive on your mac

i wish i would have had that link when i networked my mac and pc!
QUOTE Thanks
crybaby

Wow. Thanks for the fast response.
Another question. The way my network is, I have a dsl modem with a 5port switch attached to it that has my mac, pc etc on it. The wireless mac and pc are on the second floor but I'm not worring about those.

Anyway to network them using that set up (PS i did not read your tutorial yet)
QUOTE Thanks
crybaby

So???
QUOTE Thanks
crybaby

I just wanted to add that i would like to keep the files on the PC and just accsess them from the mac, is that possible??/
QUOTE Thanks
Fallooza

Fallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by crybaby
So???
Just cus you got one quick response, does not mean you will always get one.
QUOTE Thanks
chouk

chouk is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook g4, 14'', 1.33 Ghz, 60gig, 768ram, Mac OsX 10.4.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crybaby
I just wanted to add that i would like to keep the files on the PC and just accsess them from the mac, is that possible??/
i've already mentioned the steps above. And if you don't want to read my tutorials either, good luck.

QUOTE Thanks
crybaby

No I just said I have not read it yet. Now I have but it's not really what I need I have an internet connection and I can not use the ethernet ports since I would not be able to connect online.
I said I appriciated your fast response and I do ...so ..can you help me with this or???
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« WoW question | Your Programming Tool »