New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Help me spend/save money

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustProofCorn View Post
what do you guys think of this model Yamaha RX-V671BL AV Receiver
I am sure quality control is better than when I used them but their switching
key word was horrible I hope they fixed it. Our company quit using them because their amps were not compatible with our clients speakers as in all but
their top of the line seems to hate 4ohm loads where as the one I listed earlier
do.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Equipment Reviews | Home Theater

That's one of my favorite theater sites. Look up the units you like for the price you can afford.

Hint hint: look at the receiver I posted in my first comment

Here, I'll post it for you because I'm feeling nice: http://www.hometheater.com/content/p...21-av-receiver
It's Apple AirPlay compatible. It's an Apple fanboy's dream!

Here too:http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-10...8390807&sr=1-1

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

RustProofCorn has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
Equipment Reviews | Home Theater

That's one of my favorite theater sites. Look up the units you like for the price you can afford.

Hint hint: look at the receiver I posted in my first comment

Here, I'll post it for you because I'm feeling nice: Pioneer VSX-1021 A/V Receiver | Home Theater
It's Apple AirPlay compatible. It's an Apple fanboy's dream!

Here too:Amazon.com: Pioneer VSX-1021-K 7.1 Home Theater Receiver, Glossy Black: Electronics
I did look at the pioneer the onkyo and the yamaha they only reason i asked about the yamaha is because of the reviews along with the satisfaction by consumers on that particular product. when looking at a receiver (which i have never had one) what features are you looking for? i saw the air play i thought that was cool. also the pioneer seems to be the cheapest of the bunch

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge,
dig two graves."

Confucius (504 B.C.)
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
I did look at the pioneer the onkyo and the yamaha they only reason i asked about the yamaha is because of the reviews along with the satisfaction by consumers on that particular product. when looking at a receiver (which i have never had one) what features are you looking for? i saw the air play i thought that was cool. also the pioneer seems to be the cheapest of the bunch
I look at the amp section especially the output at 4ohm why because 99%
of all speakers 200Hz and below seem to dip down in and below that region
if the amp can't meet the demand then clipping occurs which takes tweeters and crossovers out. What is the output 20Hz to 20KHz with all channels driven at .05% distortion this will also give a hint to dynamics.
The next thing I look at is separate power supplies so the unit is not robbing Peter to pay Paul.
A good room correction program I prefer Audessey. With 5.1 or more its almost impossible to accurately do it by ear.
Input/output selection make sure it has what will meet your needs and some room for future additions. At least 5 HDMI inputs and 2 optical.
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

when looking for 4ohm if it says 8ohm is that better or worse?

the three units i am looking at:yamaha rx-v671;pioneer VSX-1021;Onkyo TX-NR709

dig two graves."

Confucius (504 B.C.)
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

Quote:
when looking for 4ohm if it says 8ohm is that better or worse?

the three units i am looking at:yamaha rx-v671;pioneer VSX-1021;Onkyo TX-NR709
There is no better or worse its the fact that speakers do to their design vary
in impedance across the frequency spectrum and in all my years of working
with them I have yet to see any that don't dip down into the lower ohms
some less than others. A lot of people don't give merit to THX certified but that is one of the requirements thats not saying a brand out there will not meet that spec if its not certified. Go demo as much as you can and let your ears be the final judge but remember it has to be the same component combination to mimic the sound you heard at home also room size and layout will greatly affect the sound.
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

Thank you for your input osxx!

unfortunately i live in a tiny podunk town in Alaska. if i ever did have a day off (my schedule is 7 days a week 24hrs/day) i could go to anchorage which is about a 4 hour drive but that is such a hassle. i usually end up ordering stuff online.

I know by my statement about working 24/7 people might call bs but lets put it this way. My last day off was may 30th. I took 8 days off in January to go to Hawaii. Total days off the year 2011 so far 9.

dig two graves."

Confucius (504 B.C.)
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

Quote:
Thank you for your input osxx!

unfortunately i live in a tiny podunk town in Alaska. if i ever did have a day off (my schedule is 7 days a week 24hrs/day) i could go to anchorage which is about a 4 hour drive but that is such a hassle. i usually end up ordering stuff online.

I know by my statement about working 24/7 people might call bs but lets put it this way. My last day off was may 30th. I took 8 days off in January to go to Hawaii. Total days off the year 2011 so far 9.
i understand but I don't think you could go wrong with the Onkyo and for speakers Klipsch for the bang for the buck. Subwoofer which I recommend in any system SVS is hard to beat for both quality and price plus their customer service is equal to Apple's.
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

Klipsch speakers may be a little out of my price range. Unless I saved for a while

dig two graves."

Confucius (504 B.C.)
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

ok i am making one of my purchases 14:30 Alaska time (thats an one hour ten minutes from now) and here is my question: Buying a mac mini should i get standard or server? it will basicly just be used as a backup for ipods(there are 4 in our house) iphones (2 of those) ipad 2(only 1) and to watch hulu plus and what not. i dont want to use my mac anymore for all these igadgets. what you think? can i get away with the base unit? it will be connected to a 55" plasma panny full time it will never be turned off and such

dig two graves."

Confucius (504 B.C.)
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold

If I were you, I would LOVE to snatch this up: Refurbished Mac mini 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (U.S.)

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggibar View Post
If I were you, I would LOVE to snatch this up: Refurbished Mac mini 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (U.S.)
how would that run with lion? lion is a big reason i wanted a mini

dig two graves."

Confucius (504 B.C.)
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

Quote:
how would that run with lion? lion is a big reason i wanted a mini
My MBP has the same processor, and it runs flawlessly!

QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

wow i was really considering this until i saw how hard it is to change the hdd i mean sheesh and it voids the warranty

dig two graves."

Confucius (504 B.C.)
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

Quote:
wow i was really considering this until i saw how hard it is to change the hdd i mean sheesh and it voids the warranty
Yeah, unfortunately, that's what almost always happens when you cram so much stuff in such a little place, along with being designed the way it is. That wouldn't stop me from getting it.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Setup Display Thread? | upgrade day »