New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Help With Tiger Install???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sirk74la

Hey~

So my fiancee just bought a new powerbook and has Tiger on it. She did not purchase the family bundle for Tiger, but they sales guy told us we could install from her disc's onto my powerbook since we live in the same household. The disc is saying it won't install. I called Mac and they said there is copyright protection on the disc so it won't let me...but I am thinking that there has be be a way around that and around having to spend another 150 bucks on the same software we just bought on her new powerbook. Any help???
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

Did you buy it from an Apple Store or from a reseller? I can't imagine a person at the Apple Store telling you you could use the restore disc on another machine like that.

I would go back to the place where you bought the PowerBook and find the guy who told you this could be done, and have him explain how to get around it. (Perhaps with a free/disounted copy of Tiger.)
QUOTE Thanks
ghostrida

If you could just provide a little more information. What are the specs for both you and your fiance's powerbooks? The factory discs for the powerbooks do appear visually to support only the type of powerbook that they shipped with, however if the models are the same i dont see the CD being suffisticated enought to enforce copy protection in that case.

It may not suppport, for example, installation from an Aluminum PowerBook to a Titanium one. If you see what I am getting at. Boxed CD's should install on all recent hardware.

In the end though the pirating of software even in the same household is usually frowned upon in these types of forums. sorry to be so lame. support apple if you can afford it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Very lucky day and for 5! | Am I a traitor »