New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Need PC suggestions! :(

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

prostuff1

prostuff1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: My setup: 17in SD iMac G5, 1GB RAM & 12in iBook, 1.5GB RAM (Both computers standard config.)

I am looking for a new computer for my grandparents. Unfortunanly i am unable to get them a macintosh because of one program my grandpa runs on the PC. He uses Farm Works to keep track of all the farm stuff and i cant find anything that would do the same for mac so... He will be sticking with windows for now.

So he said that he has a budget of about $1,000 and i need some suggestions on PC to look for. So what is the best for that money??

I might be able to convince him to let me build one but i have never actually put a who computer together before and i would hate to **** something up and not be able to fix it. I have done HD, RAM, video cards and that kind of stuff but i have never built one from the ground up.

So what do you guys/gals suggest??

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostuff1
I am looking for a new computer for my grandparents. Unfortunanly i am unable to get them a macintosh because of one program my grandpa runs on the PC. He uses Farm Works to keep track of all the farm stuff and i cant find anything that would do the same for mac so... He will be sticking with windows for now.

So he said that he has a budget of about $1,000 and i need some suggestions on PC to look for. So what is the best for that money??

I might be able to convince him to let me build one but i have never actually put a who computer together before and i would hate to **** something up and not be able to fix it. I have done HD, RAM, video cards and that kind of stuff but i have never built one from the ground up.

So what do you guys/gals suggest??

Thanks
Buy Virtual PC it will run Windows programs. Then you can still get that Mac. There are also a lot of bto PCs out there it just depends on what you are looking at wanting on the computer as far as hardware.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Virtual PC is horrible, way too expensive and runs so slow. Just find a pre-made system with an LCD. Building it nice if you are wanting a really high end gaming system, but you can't beat the value that Dell/HP/Gateway can provide in their low end bundle systems.
QUOTE Thanks
prostuff1

Mac Specs: My setup: 17in SD iMac G5, 1GB RAM & 12in iBook, 1.5GB RAM (Both computers standard config.)

Yeah i know about VPC but... i dont know. Guess i can look into it.

He is looking for a computer that will run Farmworks, internet, and some normal stuff, that is about it. It does not have to be anything to fancy.

He needs Computer, screen, keyboard and all. Should i be looking at one with AMD or intel. he wont be doing any gaming on it but... if i can get a decent one i might

Thanks for the help
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...im515min&s=bsd

Then Add some ram, pick an optical drive, and get the $50 option for a 17in LCD. Even if you get the X600 video card for it, you should be able to keep it under $900.
QUOTE Thanks
stillimation

stillimation is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...im515min&s=bsd

Then Add some ram, pick an optical drive, and get the $50 option for a 17in LCD. Even if you get the X600 video card for it, you should be able to keep it under $900.

WORD i am with him
QUOTE Thanks
rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

yeah, I'd do that. I'd probably get him 512MBs of ram to start
QUOTE Thanks
prostuff1

ok, well here is what i did on Dells Site

If you want to look at it just click on print summary and it should give a better list to look at.

That is just looking around, still need to do some more searching.
QUOTE Thanks
rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostuff1
ok, well here is what i did on Dells Site

If you want to look at it just click on print summary and it should give a better list to look at.

That is just looking around, still need to do some more searching.
we can't see what you did from that link. It just shows the default (bottom of the line) options for everything. Like when you loaded the page for the 1st time
QUOTE Thanks
trapzilla2002

trapzilla2002 is on a distinguished road

if you want a laptop, dell has a full line of laptops for under $1,000. I have a dell laptop and i use it for my mortgage business. i wanted something light for portability, but you can spend less for a little heavier/slower computer.

i am not happy with dell's printers though. even if they offer you one for free, it sucks as you can only buy the refills from them and have them shipped to you.

if they are doing one program and general email, surfing, etc, then the dell laptop is a pretty good deal. there may be other good deals, but i have had no problems with it.

for a desktop, i would suggest dell, gateway or just go to compusa and get one there.

good luck.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Speak English? | new ibook »