New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Anyone fixing apple products?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

I am working on my friends iPhones,macs, and iPods. is anyone else doing this?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitjetta View Post
I am working on my friends iPhones,macs, and iPods. is anyone else doing this?
Depends what you exactly mean by "fixing". If I have a computer that has a problem...or if I buy a broken computer...then I'm trying to fix them.

If you mean...fixing Mac's for profit...then that's a different question.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

For a profit. Right now i am replacing an lcd in my friends iPhone 3g and replacing the battery in my friends iPhone 4.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I used to repair PCs and other consumer electronics on the side when I was working full time for the US Government as a computer and electronic tech. It can be profitable and at the same time it can also be a headache.

Rounding up parts and having half your home office cluttered with stuff to be repaired gets old real fast. Especially when your better half thinks you can put your time to good use - as in accomplishing the "honey do's".
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

I can see how it gets old. I am 16 now and iot is a good way to make money. It also makes me nervous thinking I could mess something else up also.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's a great way for a 16 year old to earn some extra cash. Just make sure that up front the folks whose items you're repairing know you're doing it in your spare time and that you're not a certified repair technician. Regardless, if you do good work, you'll get plenty of business.
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

I just do this for my friends and family. All of them have either iOS devices or macs. I replace mainly screens on the iPhones and they know what i am doing to them.All of the things that i am working on are out of warranty also. It is really fun. I have to say my favorite repair is the graphics card on the ibook g3's but i don't like how hard the bottom cover is to get off.
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

Here is the 3g that i just replaced the lcd in. [IMG][/IMG]
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Nice work. Where are you buying your parts from?
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

I usually get amazon gift cards and then I buy them from amazon. I am not old enough for a debit card yet.
QUOTE Thanks
Ttaylor394

Ttaylor394 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '10 21.5iMac self update-1TB 16GB-'12 MBP13 self update 1TB 16gb-32GB&16gb iphones-32GB iPad,

don't ever get one either.. ESPECIALLY a credit card... if you end up with one.. don't get married..

21.5"iMac i3 3.06:running 10.7  500GB HD  16GB DDR3  Magic Trackpad  Black iPhone4 32GB  White iPhone4 16GB  Apple Extreme Airport Base Station 
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

I am not going to be replacing the headphone jack in an iPod touch,a whole new display for another 3g and a new display in an iPhone 4.
QUOTE Thanks
jetmech1

jetmech1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB

I buy, sell and repair Apples and Windows PC's. Macs are my obvious favorites. It has been a good side business for me. I got into it after I got laid off from DHL in 2009. Helped out during the unemployment.

Mac Mini - 2.5 GHz i5 - 8 GB - 128 GB SSD & 1 TB HD - 2 Apple 23" LCD
15.4" Unibody MBP - 2 MacBook Airs
2 iPads, 3 iPhones, 3 iPods, 1 Apple TV
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

***** tip of the day*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaylor394 View Post
. . . . a credit card... If you end up with one.. Don't get married..

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
dauber

dauber is a jewel in the roughdauber is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04

I know how to do a lot of Apple repairs; as a freelance computer tech, though, I've yet to actually have any work doing it. I had to turn down an iPod repair because the screen was damaged and they couldn't wait for me to order one.

But I've only worked on my own stuff so far:
- Tried to repair the SuperDrive in my MacBook. (I'm sure many mac-forums users are familiar with that unbelievably large thread on Apple's discussion boards about SuperDrive problems.) Still didn't work.
- Later on I just took out the SuperDrive, threw it out, and replaced it with a hard drive.
- Repaired the headphone jack on my 30-gig 5th-gen iPod.
- ATTEMPTED to put a new hard drive in said iPod, but I blew the motherboard in the process. (Seriously, ALWAYS wear an antistatic wrist strap!) But hey, it gave me an excuse to get the 160-gig iPod Classic.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How's That 401K Looking Now??? | Anti-Mac Work Colleague »