New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

New to Mac-Forums? Introduce yourself!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sryoder View Post
My name is Steve and I've been using Macs for quite awhile. Currently own 2 MacBooks, both running OS 10.6.8. I'm retired and my wife and I have no permanent home anymore. We live most of the time on a sailboat in Mexico and the rest in a Toyota mini-motorhome. Our MacBooks are our main means of communication and entertainment.
Man, that sounds like the life! Welcome, Steve. Glad you found us here.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sryoder View Post
My name is Steve and I've been using Macs for quite awhile. Currently own 2 MacBooks, both running OS 10.6.8. I'm retired and my wife and I have no permanent home anymore. We live most of the time on a sailboat in Mexico and the rest in a Toyota mini-motorhome. Our MacBooks are our main means of communication and entertainment.
Welcome Steve to Mac Forums! Sounds like you are living the good life!

Anyway if we can ever be of help to you here at Mac Forums, just let us know. Again welcome!
QUOTE Thanks
HollyW82000

HollyW82000 is on a distinguished road

Hi, my name is Holly and I have just returned to Mac after a hiatus of 2 1/2 years. I started out using a PPC Mac Mini in January of 2005, after many years of being a PC user, and ran that little thing till it ran out of technology. As of two days ago I came back with a new MacBook Pro. Am still setting it up but have found little changed from Leopard to Mavericks. I'll still be running my Lenovo but the Mac will be my favorite child.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyW82000 View Post
Hi, my name is Holly and I have just returned to Mac after a hiatus of 2 1/2 years. I started out using a PPC Mac Mini in January of 2005, after many years of being a PC user, and ran that little thing till it ran out of technology. As of two days ago I came back with a new MacBook Pro. Am still setting it up but have found little changed from Leopard to Mavericks. I'll still be running my Lenovo but the Mac will be my favorite child.
Hi Holly - welcome to the forum!

Wife & I are 'switchers' since the spring of last year - I use a MBPro & she has the iMac, plus a new AirPort Express router - donated our Dell PC to a local charity, so we are PCless! Dave
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Welcome to the forum and welcome back to Mac. Enjoy your stay.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Ronaldinosa

Ronaldinosa is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mbp 13" Retina , i5 Haswell , Intel Iris , 8gb Ram , 256 Ssd , OS X 10.9.3

Hi , my name is Ron . Ive just come over to the world of Mac and Mavericks after a lifetime of pc's and Windows. I purchased my first Macbook Pro 13" , i5 , 256ssd , 8gb Retina last weekend and must say I've been hugely impressed with the machine itself , Mavericks and generally just how easy and for the most part obvious things are to pick up . I seem to be one of those rare users who enjoyed Win 8.1 but this just makes microsoft look many many years behind . My past machine was no slouch , in fact the spec was in many ways very similar to this Mbp , the only real difference being the display and Ssd instead of Hdd . But on paper is where the similarities end . This machine is light years ahead in so many ways . I'm really pleased with the switch and looking forward to many years of enjoying what i previously thought of as 'The Dark Side'
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Welcome to our forums Ron. You made a great choice for your first Mac. And, it is unusual to hear someone say they actually liked Windows 8.1. Most of us in these forums are either past Windows users or use both systems - Mac at home, Windows at work. Enjoy your stay with us and stay tuned. Lots of great information from our members. Be sure to read through all our Sticky posts which you'll find at the top of each forum

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
lclev

lclev is a jewel in the roughlclev is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Early 2011, i7, 16GB, 1TB HD; MB Air 13", Mid 2013, i5, 4GB, 256GB SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldinosa View Post
.... I've just come over to the world of Mac and Mavericks after a lifetime of pc's and Windows. ......
......This machine is light years ahead in so many ways . I'm really pleased with the switch and looking forward to many years of enjoying what i previously thought of as 'The Dark Side'
Hi Ron!

I, too, have recently come over to "The Dark Side!" Best decision I ever made. I had been a PC person for over 30 years. I still have PC's at work but I am slowly integrating Apple products there. Welcome to the forum. You can learn a lot here.

Lisa
QUOTE Thanks
Ronaldinosa

Mac Specs: Mbp 13" Retina , i5 Haswell , Intel Iris , 8gb Ram , 256 Ssd , OS X 10.9.3

Thanks for the warm welcome guys and gals . I must admit there was an initial period of panic and doubt , when i couldn't find anything , but i think that passed within an hour . Im looking forward to integrating myself into the 'family' and pestering you all for help.
Lets start off with , my macbook came with the firewall set to off by default , Whats your thoughts ? Also , i'm impressed with the software that comes pre installed and will use numbers and pages on a daily basis - although i may install Office at some point . Whats on your must have list of programs you have installed ?

Last edited by Ronaldinosa; 06-14-2014 at 04:51 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Lets start off with , my macbook came with the firewall set to off by default , Whats your thoughts ? Also , i'm impressed with the software that comes pre installed and will use numbers and pages on a daily basis - although i may install Office at some point . Whats on your must have list of programs you have installed ?
Having the firewall off in Windows would be a foolish thing to do, however, keeping it off in OS X is the default. (Please read through our Sticky Post on viruses and malware.) If you feel safer by turning the firewall on, that's OK. No harm in keeping it on....

The free iWork suite (Pages, Numbers, and Keynote) can be used in lieu of Word, Excel, and Powerpoint. If you have a lot of interaction with other users especially in the business world, then it may be a good idea to obtain Mac Office. However, since MS will likely release a new version of MS Office this Fall, I would wait before purchasing it.

As far as the must have applications go, everyone has a different perspective on what is "must have". Stay tuned and keep an eye on the forum area that has your interest which will help you decide on what applications you need. The Mac App Store is the best place to shop for applications. There are also some very good individual apps that are not in the Mac App Store.

And a last bit of advice: Make backups! Time Machine is included with your Mac and works with an external hard drive. Take advantage of it.
QUOTE Thanks
Ronaldinosa

Thanks for that . On my Windows based laptop i used to backup on my documents and photos to Onedrive . Can Time machine be configured to do that rather than my purchase an external hard drive ? I can get Office from work so i'll just wait until the new version is released. Ive switched the firewall on just for peace of mind , and added Adblock to Safari but apart from that I'm running standard.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Time Machine can be configured to backup to a network drive (not easily though) but much more conveniently to an external hard drive. I don't believe there is a work around that will allow Time Machine to backup to OneDrive or DropBox, etc. External hard drives are not expensive and offer the best protection for your data. Your Mac uses the same type of SSD that is used in PCs and although an SSD is less likely to fail for the same reason a spinning hard drive, they can fail.

BTW, did you purchase Apple Care for your new MacBook Pro retina?
QUOTE Thanks
Ronaldinosa

Thanks , i can just as easily do what i did before and backup directly to onedrive manually.
When i bought the Mbp it came with two years warranty , Apple care after that came in at 199 which i thought was quite expensive - i guess its cheap if it goes wrong though.
QUOTE Thanks
Gavvo

Gavvo is on a distinguished road

Hello all, after being a Windows user for the lifetime of my computer/laptop owning days I've bought my first MacBook. It's a second hand IMMACULATE mid 2012 13" MBP with nearly every Adobe program on there I know of and I'm not gonna lie...I LOVE IT. I even sold my beloved motorcycle to buy it.

It was originally bought for music production (trance) and I'm well impressed with its handling of the VSTi's I use and it's ability to do everything else at the same time is like nothing I've ever known a higher spec Windows machine to do.

Anyways, enough of the intro and waffling...
I've not really had time to delve into the richness of OS X Mavericks, or even the Macbook itself to be fair, is there any cool tips and tricks I should know about that will make using my mac even more enjoyable/easy?

Also, as I'm on the go all of the time, is there any decent hard cases with straps that people use that don't cost a bomb?

Cheers in advance.

Last edited by pigoo3; 06-18-2014 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Post merged with intro thread.
QUOTE Thanks
lclev

lclev is a jewel in the roughlclev is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Early 2011, i7, 16GB, 1TB HD; MB Air 13", Mid 2013, i5, 4GB, 256GB SSD

Welcome Gavvo,

I too am a recent Mac convert. I still have Windows at work but my personal equipment is all Apple. Check out this link for tons of information to help take care of your MBP.

Sage advice for the new Mac switcher

If you follow the advise found in the above link and keep up with a little maintenance your mac will last you many years.

Lisa
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Old Apple Mac vs. PC Ads | Sorry to be a bother, but I am new. »