New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

New to Mac-Forums? Introduce yourself!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sllewk

sllewk is on a distinguished road

Good morning all from a newbie here in England, I have not long aquired an old Apple Mac Mini vintageSeptember 2006 and later in the year will be getting a new one. I must say that the whole concept of the Apple Mac is very good indeed provided you tread very carefully, I unwittingly downloaded MacKeeper and had lots of trouble getting rid of it I will add that I learned a lot from that and will be more careful about what I download in future. I find these forums are brilliant and are loaded with superb information.Thank you for all that info on these forums.
Keith in DERBY England.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Welcome to the Mac Forums.

We have a number of our members who live in the UK and participate on a regular basis. Feel free to ask questions and of course contribute your experiences whenever you can.
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

MBP17•David is a jewel in the roughMBP17•David is a jewel in the roughMBP17•David is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP17 2010 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9.4 • MBA11 2010 4GB 128GB 10.9.4 • TC 2TB • TV • iOS bunch

Hi, I'm David, not exactly new to Macs, and certainly not to -nix, however I've been too lazy to join the forum before

Perhaps not typically, I moved to Apple from Linux, and am still running a few of my old favourites, now on Mavericks

Fortunately, don't need to sudo anything nowadays, so, unfortunately, beginning to forget the CLI stuff. VirtualBox helps, if I can drag myself away from OSX desktop long enough LOL.
Oh, and I miss the Linux rotating cube screen change. It was way cool ... there, I said it

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks
drksmani

drksmani is on a distinguished road

hi
My name is kalyanaraman subramanian. Am 48 and seem older to some of the new posts i read here just now but i joined to know more about Macs. I possess iphone 5 32 gb and ipad4 3g + wifi 64 gb. Will be getting a mac book air this month. Have been used to windows and switching to mac coz its cool.
QUOTE Thanks
lclev

lclev is a jewel in the roughlclev is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Early 2011, i7, 16GB mem, 1TB HD; MB Air 13", Mid 2013, i5, 4GB mem, 250GB HD

Welcome drksmani!

Don't worry about the age.....I have a decade on you and I plan to never get old :-)

I have just purchased a Macbook AIr 2013 13" and I love it. I am sure you will love yours. There is a learning curve when you get a mac computer. Just keep reading and posting questions on the forum. There are lots of really friendly people here that will give you all the help you need.

Again welcome,
Lisa
QUOTE Thanks
wlmarks

wlmarks is on a distinguished road

Hi, my name is Bill and I switched to Macs in 2008 with an iMac. I now have a MacBook Air, an IPad2 and a new MacBookPro Retina. I have the iMac set up with a second monitor so I run Windows XP and Maverick at the same time using Parallels. I also have an old Windows machine in my basement as a paperweight.
QUOTE Thanks
Luvntravln

Luvntravln is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP anti-glare; 16GB Ram; 2406G & 4803G SSDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlmarks View Post
Hi, my name is Bill and I switched to Macs in 2008 with an iMac. I now have a MacBook Air, an IPad2 and a new MacBookPro Retina. I have the iMac set up with a second monitor so I run Windows XP and Maverick at the same time using Parallels. I also have an old Windows machine in my basement as a paperweight.

Timing is everything!

Hi, I have to put Windows on my laptop because I need to run a Windows based medical program that does not come in a MAC version.

Why did you go Parallels instead of BootCamp?

I plan to disconnect from the internet anytime I am in a Windows environment as I do not want to get into any virus/antivirus software.

All suggestions appreciated.

Welcome!

My images – “NATURE INTERPRETED” – can be viewed at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com
Details of our adventures are posted at http://www.travelpod.com/members/luvntravln
QUOTE Thanks
Phans

Phans is on a distinguished road

I'm here.
I use an outdated mac mini running mac os x snow leopard 10.6.8.
QUOTE Thanks
rtpeter1

rtpeter1 is on a distinguished road

My first post on here. Trying to figure things out. Converted from Windows two years ago with a new MacBook Air 13" and now recently bought a new Thunderbolt Display (27") because of failing eyesight. Works great but I'm still learning my way around the Apple system. Also have an IPad 2 and a IPod Touch. No smartphone, but a tracfone, because I don't want to pay the monthly fee for the small amount I use the phone. I just read on here the question from Gina about how to stop the startup sound and she was told to use sleep instead of shutting down. That is what I will do. I just didn't know that was considered normal and acceptable. Good practical advice. Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
wlmarks

wlmarks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvntravln View Post
Timing is everything!

Hi, I have to put Windows on my laptop because I need to run a Windows based medical program that does not come in a MAC version.

Why did you go Parallels instead of BootCamp?

I plan to disconnect from the internet anytime I am in a Windows environment as I do not want to get into any virus/antivirus software.

All suggestions appreciated.

Welcome!
I went with Parallels because it was demonstrated by a sales rep for Apple products at best buy. So far it has worked perfectly with my setup through many upgrade since 2008.
QUOTE Thanks
shakey55

shakey55 is on a distinguished road

Good morning all, I am new here and have just purchased my first MacBook Pro, having converted from a windows laptop, which died and was unrepairable.

I am keen to learn as much as I can about MacBooks and especially imovie (10).

I hope all you experts will be able to help me from time to time with your knowledge and expert skills.

I live in Sydney, Australia.

Feel free to contact me if I can help in any way, but not the best in computers (learning)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Welcome shakey55. Lots of helpful folks around here. Including some great guys from Australia! Fair Dinkum.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
eggenmona

eggenmona is on a distinguished road

Hello to all! I just joined this forum and appreciated a timely answer to my first question from moderator chscag - Thank you!

I have been using macs, iPods and iPhones since about 2005, and gave each of my kids a macbook when they left for college. So I am a good apple consumer. I really appreciate forums when I need them, like today, so to whoever answers my (sometimes stupid) questions, thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
carlhataway

carlhataway is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro, dual2.4GHz, 32GB, 4x4TBHDD, ATIHD5870, SuperDrive, PioneerBDburner, iPhone5S, iPad Air

Hello all,
Newbie here! Have owned my Mac Pro now for three years and finally getting the Microsoft out of my system and out of my life . . . sort of a detoxification of sorts, and what does my wife get me for Christmas but an Xbox One, so here goes MS again . . . but what a neat game especially on the 84" HDTV she got me for Christmas 2012!!

I hope to be a positive factor in this forum and will always pay attention to those who know more than I.

Thank you,
Carl
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Hi Carl, welcome to the forums, always good to get some new faces here and we hope to see alot of you around. This forum is about everyone chipping in and helping out, so any advice or even any experience you've had will be appreciated.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple Certification Questions/Journey | Got lucky today... »