New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

New to Mac-Forums? Introduce yourself!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Puntaspilli

Puntaspilli is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" (late 2011), MacMini (late 2009), iPod touch 4g

Hi, I'm from Italy, i don't speak (and write i suppose) english very well and now i just watching an old Orson Welles movie on tv ( for the press the movie is "I TARTARI"),(i think this movie will be very baaaad..... well see).
So, i love my Mac, and i love to talk about it.

Greetings, ME.

.:: Punk-Rock Saved my Life !! ::.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravichayal View Post
Hi Friends,
My Name is Ravi,
Ravi Chayal
Hi and welcome to M-F Ravi. Don't be shy so add your knowledge to this community, and if you do the forum got that so much better.
Enjoy

Cheers

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
Mike416

Mike416 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27 - i7 2600 3.4GHZ, 24GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 2GB GPU | iPad 4th gen | iPod Video 4th gen 60GB

Hello. New user - recent switcher! Though I am using Bootcamp because I have to run design software in Adobe Suite, I am promising to make every attempt to fully get into the Mac headspace and explore OS X (Lion), I'm a keener - learning all shortcuts, liking the swipes and gestures in trackpad mode. (Very smooth and satisfyingly similar to using smartphones). I wanted to say THANK YOU to the great people who already replied to a couple of my "please help me" posts - fantastic speed and quality of replies. Cheers everyone.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike416 View Post
Hello. New user - recent switcher! Though I am using Bootcamp because I have to run design software in Adobe Suite, I am promising to make every attempt to fully get into the Mac headspace and explore OS X (Lion), I'm a keener - learning all shortcuts, liking the swipes and gestures in trackpad mode. (Very smooth and satisfyingly similar to using smartphones). I wanted to say THANK YOU to the great people who already replied to a couple of my "please help me" posts - fantastic speed and quality of replies. Cheers everyone.
Hi and welcome to the forums.
First off don't go chucking away your Windows if you are still in need of it. There is quite a % of members here run BC or a virtual machine to run Windows.
Although this is a Mac Forum there is a separate sub forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac that deals with "Windows on a Mac". DOH Re-read that but will leave in anyways lol
We won't bite your head off if you mention Windows here

Cheers

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
damon81

damon81 is on a distinguished road

Hi all. My name is Darell Barney and I'm from New Orleans. I am new to the forum but not at all new to macs. I do look forward to learning from y'all.
QUOTE Thanks
TBABill

TBABill is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone. I'm Bill and a new Macbook Pro owner/user. After using PC's since around 1993, it was time to seek reliability. We run 7-8 computers at my house and my system and network admin duties just never stop. I run Linux on a couple machines for a bit more reliability, but the family has not embraced it because it cannot run some of their favorite software and games. As a result, we have a mix of Win XP, Win 7, Linux (Ubuntu, Mint, Ultimate Edition, Debian) and now Mac.

So far so good. Enjoying reading through the forum and looking forward to interacting as I learn more and become more familiar with my Mac. It's an incredible machine so far and nothing I have ever seen can touch it in terms of beauty and ease of use. Having a strong Linux background certainly helped the transition because much of the setup, file system, etc. is similar. It almost feels like Linux with a different desktop environment, but even that line is blurring with Ubuntu and others sharing many commonalities (software center similar to app store, iCloud similar to Ubuntu One, file system similarities (home, root, etc), system tools and settings app and many others. OS X looks visually like a Linux distro done right, but functionally it is so simple to use and everything works perfectly so far including my HP Printer auto detect and setup.

Good stuff!
QUOTE Thanks
wirepuller134

wirepuller134 is on a distinguished road

Good morning everyone. New to Mac myself. We have been Linux (Centos, Fedora, Mythdora, Debian, and a little Ubuntu) users for years. We do a lot of community repairs for low income families on PC's. About 2 weeks ago a 13" Macbook (mid 2007 model) came in. It took a bit of googling (that's how I found this forum) and 2 chats with Apple to get it working. Basically they had dropped it, and the hard drive had failed and no back up media, so it was stuck on the white screen of death and no startup sound. We were impressed with the quality of the hardware and support Apple offered, so we went and purchased a couple Macbook pro's. the transition has been easier than I thought, we can use most of the same tools we use for what we do. My wife is having a bit of trouble, she prefers Gnome 2, she has the same issues with Gnome 3...... but to sum it up, with the help of post in this forum we were able to help a family and introduce us to a whole ecosystem we didn't even know existed.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Welcome all new users to Mac Forums.
QUOTE Thanks
Daifne

Daifne is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17" i7 2.4 Ghz 8GB Ram

Hi everyone.

I just received a Macbook Pro 17" on Friday. This officially marks my return to the world of Apple. I got my first one in 1992 which was a LC III, followed by a Centris 610. I had to leave for one specific program and so got a PC in 1999. Stepping into the Windows world did lead me to starting my own computer repair business and doing rather well at it.

Somewhere along my travels in that world, I was given a white and blue G3 that I messed with, upgrading and such, but it was outdated then and my PCs overpowered it greatly. I'd been wanting to put my feet back in both worlds, so, as I Friday, here I am. It's all coming back. I do love Macs.

Right now, I'm just going through the forums to pick up tips. Things have changed since OS 7 ;-)
QUOTE Thanks
TrailWolf

TrailWolf is on a distinguished road

Hi I'm Scott and this is my first Mac. It's a Mac book Pro 13.3". I bought this 3 weeks ago and coming from a PC I'm still not sure I made the right decision. Not pleased with the proprietary aspects of Mac. Now I can't view You Tube videos, it stopped all of a sudden. I really don't real like dropping from 64 to 32 bit to solve this problem. Well, I'll keep trying to get use to this platform, but I'm finding it very frustrating at times after using PC's for 25 years.
QUOTE Thanks
JAM3Z

JAM3Z is on a distinguished road

My name is James. I've owned several macs and I'm a dedicated apple fan.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

A hearty welcome to our new members! Enjoy your time with us and be sure to read our guidelines and Sticky notices at the head of each forum.
QUOTE Thanks
Lastmboy

Lastmboy has a spectacular aura about

Hi. I'm new to the forums, and finding lots and lots to read. I haven't fully switched, yet, although I got my feet wet with the iPhone and iPad 2 (now the "new" one, as well). I'm a windows business application programmer, and have been for 25 years. I used to be quite "anti-Apple" for many of the same reasons that I now really like Apple products. Being a programmer, I wanted to always be able to get under the hood and tweak. Now... I'd rather just be productive rather than having to spend all my time "tweaking" and fixing.

Case in point... I'm running Windows 7 on a fairly decent piece of hardware. Intel Core I7 quad at 3.00 ghz with raided (striped) Intel SSD drives for the system and two 1.5 TB 7200 rpm drives for data. 12gb of fast triple channel ram. Maximum cooling. This is networked to a quad core file server with a stack of drives totaling around 12 TB. The thing boots up in seconds... but that's where the fun ends. It worked spectacular for a few weeks, then the problems started. Sometimes an app will open instantly. The next time it takes 2 to 3 minutes. All sorts of network problems and timeouts. Explorer (Internet and File) crash at least once daily. I turned off every possible setting regarding Windows updates, but it still picks up updates and reboots itself right when you don't want it to. Every second time I try to shut it down, it hangs and I have to power it off. All sorts of delays and performance issues. Anyways, I could go on and on, but you get the idea. My point being, it's somewhat irrelevant what hardware you have if the OS you're using is hideously unstable.

My buddies can't figure out what I'm talking about. They say they have no problems. I went over to one buddy's house, and his pc crashed 3 times, locked up once, and had to be cold booted once just during the 2 hours I was there. I started laughing and said "You aren't having any problems?". He said "No, just little stuff like this that I'm used to".

That's when I realized that us Windows users have trained ourselves to just "live with" all the hassle, and stop realizing that it could ever be better. Therefore, I'm very seriously contemplating a 27" iMac, and hoping that perhaps life CAN be better. I love the way my "i" devices just work, simply and elegantly. From what I've seen of MacBooks and iMacs, it's pretty much the same. Less time spent mucking around with issues and googling for some type of fix or patch, and more time doing what I want to. I've been harassed over the cost of the Macs. I heard one guy reply to those comments, asking if their time was worth anything. Mine sure is. If I can save 5 hours or so a week in lost time spent trying to figure out problems, patches, and freezes, and searching the web for some type of help, I'll have more than paid for the difference in the first month, and the Windows machine starts to look way more expensive due to lost time in the following months and years. Anyways, that's my theory. Hopefully it all works out. If nothing else, I sure love how the Apple hardware and OS seem to work and I love learning new things. The gestures just seem so smooth and natural. Everything looks cool and seems easy.

My plan is to go as cold turkey as I can. Being a windows programmer, I will have to run a couple of Windows apps (e.g. there is no longer an OSX version of PowerBuilder), but I'm going to avoid it if at all possible. I've been going through all my apps to see if there is a Mac version, or a Mac app that will replace the functionality. So far so good. Only a couple that I won't be able to replace.

Anyways, I've been having fun reading through everyone's thoughts on here and discovering all the assistance provided for us newbie switchers. I'm thinking I'll maybe chronicle my experience as I go through the transition.

Sheldon
QUOTE Thanks
Meewee

Meewee is on a distinguished road

My name is Becky. I am from Cincinnati area. I have degrees both in Web design and Information Technology. I have been using Macs for a number of years. I have worked on both. I am teaching myself game programming
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastmboy View Post
Hi. I'm new to the forums, and finding lots and lots to read.. . . . . .

My plan is to go as cold turkey as I can. Being a windows programmer, I will have to run a couple of Windows apps (e.g. there is no longer an OSX version of PowerBuilder), but I'm going to avoid it if at all possible. I've been going through all my apps to see if there is a Mac version, or a Mac app that will replace the functionality. So far so good. Only a couple that I won't be able to replace.

Sheldon
WOW and welcome to the forums Sheldon . . . .
Great story and remember there is always BootCamp or or a VM to run Windows if need be. Best of both worlds and plenty of threads to help you through if need be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meewee View Post
My name is Becky. I am from Cincinnati area. I have degrees both in Web design and Information Technology. I have been using Macs for a number of years. I have worked on both. I am teaching myself game programming
Hi and welcome as well Becky.
Look forward to the knowledge you can pass onto us here.
Enjoy your stay

Cheers

MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ill Health | How can I get MS Office for free? »