New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

i need an OS X vs. windows article!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

prostuff1

prostuff1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: My setup: 17in SD iMac G5, 1GB RAM & 12in iBook, 1.5GB RAM (Both computers standard config.)

I am starting a project for my freshmen english class and i thought that this would be a good subject to do it on. I need comparisons basically on the OS and anything that is good and bad about both sides.

Links would be very nice. adn teh longer the article the better.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
DCraver

DCraver is a jewel in the roughDCraver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac G5

Umm. How about a 3 word essay...

MAC IS BETTER!

That do ya any good? lol
QUOTE Thanks
prostuff1

Mac Specs: My setup: 17in SD iMac G5, 1GB RAM & 12in iBook, 1.5GB RAM (Both computers standard config.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCraver
Umm. How about a 3 word essay...

MAC IS BETTER!

That do ya any good? lol
That was my first thought but then i saw that it had to be 2-3 pages long. I could put one work on each page...but i might get docked points for that.

Good thought though!!
QUOTE Thanks
DCraver

DCraver is a jewel in the roughDCraver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac G5

Haha yeah. Just write the major stong points of OSX, Windows, Linux, compare and contrast them and summarize which one you favor for and why in the conclusion.

See? I gave you a good paper outline and I'm only in the 8th grade! I is so smartizzle, bizzle. f'sho, cuz. haha Tee hee hee.
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

Google is always your friend try this
CLICK ME!

Apple, think different
QUOTE Thanks
prostuff1

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflexion
Google is always your friend try this
CLICK ME!
Thank you. I used google and came up with most of those. I was just wondering if anyone on the forum had a preference for one or the other.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
homer_j

homer_j will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.

I am sure that there are plenty of peeps on here that can help you and work with both Windoze and OSX. I don't know if you have read this but I guess there may be a little bias in it..http://www.apple.com/switch/

I think that if I was doing comparisons that you are, I would look at the different level of users as I am sure that this will have some bearing on what OS is preferential.

If you are a user who want to be able to plug in and play and have no hassles of viiruses etc then you will probably find OSX better.

If you happen to work within Media, Design and Advertising then you might fing that mac's are the industry standard.

If you are a user that wants to fiddle about with your operating system and or want to be able to have choice in your machines components then you may go with Windoze..

I hope this helps

Just the road and my MBP.. wohoo.. No wireless networks - DOH! Oh well, wheres my ipod! :headphone
QUOTE Thanks
nicklwj

nicklwj is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5, 17.in screen. 1.8GHz, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.

hmm why not try xvsxp.com

nicklwj@gmail.com|Ugliness Shall Not Be Tolerated...
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Yeah - xvsxp.com has got to be the definitive guide out there....
QUOTE Thanks
falltime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
Yeah - xvsxp.com has got to be the definitive guide out there....

Except for that is horrendously biased towards OS X, and is hardly ever referenced by PC enthusiasts... the only people that ever seem to mention it's name are Mac users - which would lead most to believe that a large majority of the input and donations the site is receiving is from Mac users. Also if you visit the forums - most of the posters are Mac users. In fact, there’s a thread named "What do you appreciate about the OTHER platform?" and every single one of the posts references Windows.

It'd be easy to say that the reason behind the site's larger popularity with Mac users is that Windows users just don't care. Which I think is a great paradigm for the debate on a full scale.

Robert Rodriguez, computer geek extraordinaire and blockbuster filmmaker put it quite well in and interview discussing his preference for Windows PCs over Macs, when he said "....it’s just subjective, I prefer what suits me. Who knows where it comes from? Really... I mean, they start the debate, we just end it...."
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I don't know - I've read through quite a bit of xvsxp and it seems quite fairly balanced to me...
Although the author does admit he prefers macs, often I find myself thinking that he gives XP points on things I wouldn't have.

At least it's a good starting point to find a thorough comparison of the OS's.
QUOTE Thanks
nicklwj

nicklwj is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5, 17.in screen. 1.8GHz, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.

well i think it biased cos pc users know that their comps suck and they cant do anything about it cos of tight budget , work requirements , etc. theyd be mac users too yknow if it wasnt for those things and frankly they couldnt care about what they use because a computer is a computer by any other name. just that we lucky lot use better computers thats all hahaha

nicklwj@gmail.com|Ugliness Shall Not Be Tolerated...
QUOTE Thanks
falltime

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklwj
well i think it biased cos pc users know that their comps suck and they cant do anything about it cos of tight budget , work requirements , etc. theyd be mac users too yknow if it wasnt for those things and frankly they couldnt care about what they use because a computer is a computer by any other name. just that we lucky lot use better computers thats all hahaha

Robert Rodriguez is on a tight budget???????????

Maybe my standard of living is a bit skewed, but I'd like to think that the 10 million dollars he was paid to make Sin City would be at least enough to buy a decent computer.

Also keep in mind that there are millions of PC users out their that pay for way more for their PC's then they could ever pay for a Mac... A close friend of mine just purchased a X2 4600+ Manchester w/ dual 7800GTX's in SLI costing him well over $1800 for just the processor and video cards - NOTHING ELSE. After everything, his box ended up costing him around $4500, not inlcuding any kind of display.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Google Video | Cell Phone Problem »