Thread: UNIX Doomed?

Specs:
    iMac G5 20'' 2.0GHz 2gb Ram 400gb HDD
    UNIX Doomed?
    I read recently that in the next 10-15 years UNIX systems will be totally dead and the only two OS'S remaining will be Windows and Linux, is there any truth in this?

it may change but it's not doomed. The only one I know that can see that far ahead into the future is dead
    www.idadgraphics.com
    I started using PS from finding this forum and all the help I have gotten here thru the years is immeasurable
    thank you MacForums and all it's members

Specs:
    12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
    unix isnt doomed as it were i just dont think that many companies will upgrade to unix in the future as most linux distros will do what they need now.

unix has lead the way for a long time so yes age has started to appear but its not doomed

Apple, think different

Specs:
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" • iPhone 6 • iPad Air • and many iPods
    That's the beauty of being a technology writer-- you can say anything and if it comes true you're a visionary. If you're wrong, you can laugh and say "Boy, was I ever wrong." The whole objective of these guys is to sell magazines and newspapers.

In my 30 years in IT I've heard it all-- the demise of and/or taking over of the world by Windows, DOS, CP/M, UNIX, Linux, Sybase, Oracle, Informix, IBM System/36, the IBM PCjr, the Sun Microsystems Enterprise 10000, Pyramid computers, Convex computers, NeXT systems :-), TCP/IP, SNA, Banyan, SCO UNIX, Novell.... the list goes on and on.

Moral of the story-- you can't predict beyond 12 months, if that. Take everything you read with a LARGE shaker of salt.

Specs:
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    Unix will not die. For one thing, *BSD is Unix and it's, well, free...it's open-source like Linux, and you can't bankrupt open source. The BSDs have more in common with Linux, from a business perspective, than they do with the closed-source Unices like AIX, Solaris, and HP-UX.

Some Unices might die...SGI has pretty much said that IRIX is not going to see any major upgrades, and one wonders about the long-term future of the other expensive brand-name Unices. But there are still many big, important, and wealthy companies who depend on these systems and aren't quite ready to move to Linux.

Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfax
    I read recently that in the next 10-15 years UNIX systems will be totally dead and the only two OS'S remaining will be Windows and Linux, is there any truth in this?
    Of course it is true....isn't it obvious that whomever wrote the article you read has clairvoyance enough to see 15 years into the future?!? <rolleyes>

Hehe, did you really have to ask if there was any truth to this? I hope that you didn't actually believe any of what you read, because it is a shame that some people would actually buy into that sort of crap.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" • iPhone 6 • iPad Air • and many iPods
    Quote Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
    ...I hope that you didn't actually believe any of what you read, because it is a shame that some people would actually buy into that sort of crap.
    ...and I can honestly say that I've had the misfortune of working for a whole bunch of 'em.

Thread Information