New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Linux

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aantoine90

aantoine90 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 12 inch 1.33 GHz 512MB RAM

How can I download and install a Linux? I really want Linux and this is going on my PC not my mac! Please can someone tell me where I can get a good version of Linux? Thanks! I really need *** to be free! Please and a link to where I coudl get it would be nice as well! Thank you all so much.
QUOTE Thanks
DCraver

DCraver is a jewel in the roughDCraver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac G5

Get Linspire (Formerly known as Lindows) it's just like Windows (runs windows programs, can use iPod with it, etc.) but stable... Haha. It's an oxymoron =)
QUOTE Thanks
stillimation

stillimation is on a distinguished road

my buddy has Fedora and it is awesome i would put ti on my PC but i am to lazy
but any ho here is the link http://fedora.redhat.com/
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

I use ubuntu.

http://www.ubuntu.com

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I also like Ubuntu... but mainly because they'll send you free copies of it on CD - postage paid too!

I got 5 discs for x86 and 5 for PowerPC... they come with live discs and install discs, so even Linux newbies can try it out.
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

yea go with ubuntu or if you just want to play go and look at knoppix as thats just a live cd

Apple, think different
QUOTE Thanks
Fallooza

Fallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant future

dude i have recently tryed a few Linux destros out. The one that seemed best for me was SuSE 9.3. It was the onlyone i found that had Java and FireFox already installed. Fedora Core 4 was good too but didnt have Java or FF
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

dont go with Fedora 4 so many people have gone back to 3 as its not much of an imporvement honestly try using Ubuntu. Oh and the fact that SuSe aint free might help as well

Apple, think different
QUOTE Thanks
Harryc

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflexion
Oh and the fact that SuSe aint free might help as well
Sure it is free. You only have to pay for it if you want printed guides and a fancy box. There are a few non-GPL'd packages found on the retail DVD and not among the free downloads, but you can find them elsewhere for the most part.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallooza
dude i have recently tryed a few Linux destros out. The one that seemed best for me was SuSE 9.3. It was the onlyone i found that had Java and FireFox already installed. Fedora Core 4 was good too but didnt have Java or FF
Ubuntu has FireFox and Java installed to start

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Fallooza

Fallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryc
Sure it is free. You only have to pay for it if you want printed guides and a fancy box. There are a few non-GPL'd packages found on the retail DVD and not among the free downloads, but you can find them elsewhere for the most part.
right i got mine for free. If ya do a quick googe for "suse 9.3 mirrors" i am sure you will find one.
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

all they did it then

i know that at one time it wasnt free because of the non GPL'd packages

good to hear that its free now

Apple, think different
QUOTE Thanks
Whats_up_mac?

http://www.linuxiso.org/ has a good variety of thing to pick and choose from. I have tried several. They all have their pros and cons.
QUOTE Thanks
johninc

johninc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCraver
Get Linspire (Formerly known as Lindows) it's just like Windows (runs windows programs, can use iPod with it, etc.) but stable... Haha. It's an oxymoron =)
Until Microsoft sued them....Microsoft ruins everything, Lindows was an awesome name.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple promo offers | Leaders in Technology »