Thread: DSL Question

Specs:
    Mini 1.25 Ghz, 40GB HD, 512MB Ram, 32MB video, 8X SuperDrive, 80GB external USB drive
    Question DSL Question
    I recently subscribed to DSL. I have a line dedicated to DSL. My question is how long of a data cable can I have running from the DSL modem to the wall jack, before the signal starts to degrade? At the moment I'm getting about 1.2Mbps (downstream) and would like to keep it that way.

It just so happens my computer is situated about 15ft from the wall jack, and the cable just is long enough to connect to the modem. I'd prefer a longer cable so that I can run it a long the baseboard of the room and have it out of the way. :mac:

sursuciofla
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyJay?
    I recently subscribed to DSL. I have a line dedicated to DSL. My question is how long of a data cable can I have running from the DSL modem to the wall jack, before the signal starts to degrade? At the moment I'm getting about 1.2Mbps (downstream) and would like to keep it that way.

It just so happens my computer is situated about 15ft from the wall jack, and the cable just is long enough to connect to the modem. I'd prefer a longer cable so that I can run it a long the baseboard of the room and have it out of the way. :mac:
    You should get a wireless hub and use airport, it's the bomb! Running the line longer doesn't degrade the signal to my knowledge especially just that 15 ft your talking about. I used to run mine like that. I have the PC on it which I never use now (just on desk collecting dust) and I just use airport since the mac is special and I think my pc is garbage. Hehe, okay I still love my pc but I do play favorites.

Specs:
    Mini 1.25 Ghz, 40GB HD, 512MB Ram, 32MB video, 8X SuperDrive, 80GB external USB drive
    Quote Originally Posted by sursuciofla
    . . . I think my pc is garbage. Hehe, okay I still love my pc but I do play favorites.
    I loved my pc so much, I sold it after I purchased a Mac Mini (which I love).

I think I'm going to try a longer cable. Since this is my first Mac, I went with the base model, no Bluetooth.

Specs:
    iMac G5
    Bluetooth is not the internet. Bluetooth is to use wireless mouses/keyboards, phones, etc.

Mac Minis (all new macs I think) come standard with this thing called an AirPort Express. So look into setting up wireless internet, espically if you, your friends, etc. have a laptop.

sursuciofla
    Quote Originally Posted by DCraver
    Mac Minis (all new macs I think) come standard with this thing called an AirPort Express.
    He said he has the base model and that does not. The 1.25 GHZ is optional on the AP and BT. But it is fairly cheap anyways so it is a good investment imo. Then you aren't just limited to having your mini in just that room but you can move it elsewhere if you need to.

Specs:
    iMac G5
    Quote Originally Posted by sursuciofla
    He said he has the base model and that does not. The 1.25 GHZ is optional on the AP and BT. But it is fairly cheap anyways so it is a good investment imo. Then you aren't just limited to having your mini in just that room but you can move it elsewhere if you need to.
    Huh... Didn't know that... Well, we learn something new every day! lol.

ummm you can run CAT5 about 300 feet till it starts to get crappy

new mac guy
    I'm new to Mac,just got a G4 Imac,128megs ram.I reinstalled os 10.1.2 and I can't get on the internet. I have verizon DSL with a linksys router.The 2 other computers on the network work fine. the reason I reinstalled the os was there was AOL on the computer and the guy I got it from had dial-up.I thought that might be the problem but I still can't get it to recognize the ethernet connection. Any help would be greatlly appreciated.thanks NEW MAC GUY

Specs:
    iMac G5
    Did you enable the Ethernet Modem?

new mac guy
    Quote Originally Posted by DCraver
    Did you enable the Ethernet Modem?
    Just how do I do THat

Specs:
    iMac G5
    Why, It's just like this: Apple (The Blue icon on the bar at the top) > System Preferences (Or just click System Preferences on the dock if you still have it there) > Network > Click on Built in Ethernet > and click Connect. (Configure if it's not set up)

new mac guy
    was on the phone with tech support from verizon for almost an hour last night.I'm not even getting an ip address,and the ethernet connection doesn't light up.Checked it with a working ether net line from another computer. I think the ethernet card is bad.thanks again,New Mac Guy

Thread Information