Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Schweb's Lounge (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/schwebs-lounge/)
-   -   editing the computer name (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/schwebs-lounge/24258-editing-computer-name.html)

sirune 09-21-2005 08:23 AM

editing the computer name

hi, i'm new here and this is my first post.
anyway, i recently bought a 12" ibook.
the problem is, the computer company that i bought this machine from spelled my name wrongly. now my computer name is all wrong.
i'm not talking about the username, i'm talking about the system name here.
the one programs refer to as being the user of the computer.
can someone please help me out and show me how i can edit and correct this.
thank you, i really appreciate it.

chouk 09-21-2005 08:38 AM

guess you will need to reinstall the os and change your new name from there....

nicklwj 09-21-2005 08:42 AM

System Preferences? or something in terminal? maybe we could get our hardcore unix guys to help or sthg.

Yeungster 09-21-2005 08:45 AM

afaik you can't change it, unless you reinstall. I could be wrong tho. I have yet to find how

caribiner23 09-21-2005 09:33 AM

You can change it under System Preferences-->Sharing, so at least other computers that see it on the network will know it by the name you want.

Merlinblack 09-21-2005 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caribiner23
You can change it under System Preferences-->Sharing, so at least other computers that see it on the network will know it by the name you want.

Bingo!

I think that's as good as it's going to get until you do a re-install

sirune 09-21-2005 11:46 AM

okay, thanks for the help.
but isn't there a command or something that can do this?
i'm pretty new to mac so i might sound like an absolute bimbo, but is there a command that say..edit your computer name through the mac version of dosprompt?

caribiner23 09-21-2005 12:04 PM

You could edit the appropriate file by using Terminal, but you would have to use sudo or enable the root user account, which are many more steps than just going to the Sharing options, clicking and typing.

Nobody thinks you're a bimbo. Go to the Sharing options page and change the name. You've already spent five times the keystrokes you needed to just looking for a different way to do it. :-)

Steel02001 09-21-2005 01:59 PM

Could he just setup a new account and move everything over then delete the old account? Just an idea, that for some reason I feel like I am missing something for it to be easy like this but maybe?

caribiner23 09-21-2005 02:04 PM

His concern is not with the user name, but the computer name:

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirune
i'm not talking about the username, i'm talking about the system name here

:-)

sirune 09-22-2005 05:29 AM

Quote:

You could edit the appropriate file by using Terminal, but you would have to use sudo or enable the root user account, which are many more steps than just going to the Sharing options, clicking and typing.

i'm willing to go through with it if someone just show me how, or give me the link where to

Quote:

Nobody thinks you're a bimbo. Go to the Sharing options page and change the name. You've already spent five times the keystrokes you needed to just looking for a different way to do it. :-)

nice to know that :p haha