New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Time Machine vs. iCloud

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Rex63

Rex63 is on a distinguished road

I'm a relatively new mac user. Got a MacBook Pro last year, but my daughter usurped it. I switched my office computers from PCs to iMacs this year and couldn't be happier with the heightened security and stability. However, I have a question about Time Machine. I've been reading about iCloud which will be coming out in the Fall. From what I gather, the iCloud will store practically every file you create or add to the iMacs, etc. Therefore, what's the point of getting Time Machine? Sorry if this question seems naive, but as I said I'm relatively new to the mac community.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex63 View Post
I'm a relatively new mac user. Got a MacBook Pro last year, but my daughter usurped it. I switched my office computers from PCs to iMacs this year and couldn't be happier with the heightened security and stability. However, I have a question about Time Machine. I've been reading about iCloud which will be coming out in the Fall. From what I gather, the iCloud will store practically every file you create or add to the iMacs, etc. Therefore, what's the point of getting Time Machine? Sorry if this question seems naive, but as I said I'm relatively new to the mac community.
You can do a restore from Time Machine if a HD fails, relatively painless and quick process. You may be able to restore from the cloud, but I shudder to think how long that would take unless your Internet connection is uber-fast.

If I were given just one wish it would be . . . that I could have three more wishes!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I'd also be worried about cost a bit. Even for a small business that would seem to need a lot of space even for a small business especially if you are needing the ability to go back in time like Time Machine provides. Seems like Apple would have to charge for that.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

Don't blame me if following this advice causes loss of data, a rip in space time allowing dinosaurs to roam free, or your significant other to leave.
QUOTE Thanks
Rex63

Rex63 is on a distinguished road

Thanks people!
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

I'm still playing catch up as I haven't gone through all the announcements made at the WWDC yet - but I don't see iCloud and Time Machine as the same thing. At least not yet. While they may be somewhat on converging paths - they're still quite a ways from that. While iCloud will be able to keep track of all of your SW purchases through iTunes as well as your music (should you choose that option) - there are still plenty of things that iCloud doesn't do. While I'd expect to see some of those additional features become available with Lion AND a new Time Capsule (in otherwords bringing some cloud level functionality to your network and locally stored) we're still in a situation where there's a clear need for a local backup and Time Machine is optimum for that. It will back up all your files - whether part of a program that supports revs or not, as well as your other SW (non-iTunes downloaded) and music since not everyone will have every song in the cloud...etc. etc. The point is - iCloud and TimeMachine - aren't performing the same functions. There maybe some areas of overlap - but you still need TimeMachine.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The two are not even in the same realm. There is no "vs" between these two items.

There is no "restore" function of iCloud to OS X.
It does backup and will restore an iDevice. But, not everything. Even with an iDevice, you're still going to need a backup on the computer for the rest of your pictures, all of your videos, and many other things.

Anyone confused really should read what it will do (which is still pretty amazing when considered it is free) - link.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« We didn't have the "Green" thing back in my day. | Welcome Back PSN! »