temple
    Installing new RAM on a G5
    Question: does anyone know which is better? Installing a GIG chip on my G5, or two 512s? I have 1.5, but want to go to either 2, or 2.5. Thanks.

sursuciofla
    Quote Originally Posted by temple
    Question: does anyone know which is better? Installing a GIG chip on my G5, or two 512s? I have 1.5, but want to go to either 2, or 2.5. Thanks.
    I'd just go with the gig. Then if you want to go higher you won't be wasting a 512 if you ever want to just max it out. If you have a set number I imagine if it fails it is cheaper to replace a 512 versus a gig stick. But like I said with no other info on your future plans I'd just do the gig.

badmojo
    I've read in some PC magazines that 2 x 512 sticks run a little faster than 1 gig stick, but it would probably only be noticed in benchmarks. I'd probably go with the 1 gig stick if it's within your budget.

yea man, the G5 mother board supports Duel Channel RAM which means that you are gunna get it faster working off of 2 512 rather than 1 gig because it makes it where one stick is running one thing and the other is running something else rather then every thing mixed up in one stick

hope it helps

I thought they had to be installed in pairs?

Specs:
    PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
    Quote Originally Posted by temple
    I suppose you're talking about a PowerMac G5, as the iMac G5 can't take more than 2GB anyway.
    The PowerMacs need RAM in pairs, means when you upgrade it, you have to do it with 2 identical modules, and installing them in opposite slots, on on each memory bank. If you only add 1 module, it won't work.

The iMac G5 doesn't need paired RAM, but can take some benefit when putting 2 identical RAM modules. Though I never heard that it made really a huge difference.

Specs:
    Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
    Quote Originally Posted by mynameis
    I thought they had to be installed in pairs?
    I thought so as well. Is this true? Ive been looking to get some RAM. Just dont know what kind... Brand and type.
    TJ

Specs:
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalon
    I suppose you're talking about a PowerMac G5, as the iMac G5 can't take more than 2GB anyway.
    The PowerMacs need RAM in pairs, means when you upgrade it, you have to do it with 2 identical modules, and installing them in opposite slots, on on each memory bank. If you only add 1 module, it won't work.
    Avalon's got it.

Quote Originally Posted by TTheInfamous1
    I thought so as well. Is this true? Ive been looking to get some RAM. Just dont know what kind... Brand and type.
    Go ready Apple's instructions for installing RAM in a G5 PowerMac, it states that it needs to be matching pairs. Just get some PC3200 from newegg.com. Rosewill, Corsair, Kingston, PQI and others are all good.

Specs:
    Go ready Apple's instructions for installing RAM in a G5 PowerMac, it states that it needs to be matching pairs. Just get some PC3200 from newegg.com. Rosewill, Corsair, Kingston, PQI and others are all good.
    Yup... Read it last night after I posted . Glad came across this thread and read the G5 Manual. I would have made a mistake with the RAM.

Thanks for the website. Im going to check out there prices.
    TJ

Specs:
    Didn't want to start a new thread..
    Just starting to shop around for memory after reading this thread.

Does anyone know if Hynix memory is any good or is it garbage? I can not really find any good tech info on them. The only info I come across is that creditors are chasing them for money owed. LOL

Anyway, your opinions on this type of memory is appreciated.
    TJ

Hynix is what came in my mini from Apple...

Specs:
    Hynix is what came in my mini from Apple...
    Okay, cool. Thanks.

Also, I made a thread about this but... Can my PM G5 use DDDR2 PC3200 240 pin from Samsung? Ive never heard of DDDR2.
    TJ

Quote Originally Posted by TTheInfamous1
    Also, I made a thread about this but... Can my PM G5 use DDDR2 PC3200 240 pin from Samsung? Ive never heard of DDDR2.

No, it only has slots for regular DDR SDRAM, 184-pin.

Specs:
    Ahh... Okay, thanks again.
    TJ

Thread Information