New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

What languages do you know and how do you learn new ones?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

So I've always been a "languages" person so I figure I was curious what languages others here know.

So for me obviously English is my native language but I've also studied:

- Latin (8 years)
- German (5 years)
- Greek, Hebrew, and Spanish (1 semester)

Currently learning Swedish since my family is Swedish and to help a bit when I travel over there so I'm not a completely ignorant American expecting everyone to speak English to me.

To learn it, I'm trying out Rosetta Stone since Swedish isn't a common language I can find in school.

So what languages do you do and how do you go about learning new ones?

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
matoduri

matoduri is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, Early 2011

my native language is Slovak and other languages I know and learn are:

English (almost 15 years)
German (10 years)
Norwegian (half a year I spent in Norway)
Japanese (four semesters at my university as non-obligatory subject)

and then some basics of Italian. Moreover, my girlfriend speaks fluently Spanish so I think I'm gonna learn some basics I love to learn new languages so I think I will add some more in the future
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

I only speak English fluently.

I studied French in school for three years, and from that I can now say the following phrases (roughly translated):

"Jai mange au burger" = I have eaten a burger
"Quelle la date de ton Anniversaire?" = When is your birthday?
"Oui madam" = Yes miss
"Jaime mon regle" = I love my ruler

As you can see, it wasnt my strong point.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

The best way to learn a foreign language is what matoduri is doing - date someone who only speaks that language. Funny how motivated you are and how quickly you learn. It's the more enjoyable 'immersion' method.

I wouldn't claim to have command of any language with the possible exception of English - but I still retain a fair amount of Italian. I lived in Sicily for 2 years - that's where I learned the power of a girlfriend for learning a language. All the guys there - that dated Italian women for any length of time - were easily 10x more fluent than those who didn't.

Took Spanish both in high school as well as college. Can order a beer or two in Turkish. The important stuff.

I'd love to become fluent in another language - but could never decide which one to focus on...
QUOTE Thanks
matoduri

matoduri is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, Early 2011

it's a shame that my girl is originally from Slovakia...it would be faster to learn from somebody, who doesn't speak my mother tongue at all
QUOTE Thanks
Printerman

Printerman is a jewel in the roughPrinterman is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac10,1, 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 10.8.2, 21.5" screen.

English is my native language. I also speak:

-Afrikaans (9 years)
-French (5 years)

May parent spoke Afrikaans consistently (I’m originally from South Africa), so I convinced them to teach me. French however, I am learning at school.

-Dylan
QUOTE Thanks
dero

dero will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iPod Touch 4Gen 32Gb iMac 21'5 , 4GB memory, Core2Duo 3.06 GHz, 1 TB Hard Drive

God dag Schweb,har sta del till ?

Hehe... Don't try to go any further,with this, my Swedish is very limited, I have a few friends from Sweden and in Sweden, have been able to memorize a few...
I am a french Canadian that fluently speaks english and do babble in some spanish, probably enough to survive in Latin America, Spain...
Comma esta amiga, amigo? Une cercoise por favor and tu esta a la casa ?

To submerge yourself in a language, I find is the best way to do it...That's how I learn and forget...

My happy Macstable
iPod Touch 4th Gen 32Gb
21'5 iMac , 4GB, Core2Duo 3.06 GHz,
1 Terra HDD
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Only English fluently.

I took 2 yrs of French in middle school (grades 7 - 8) but wasn't very dedicated to it. I remember very, very little.

I know a little Spanish from working with a few guys from Mexico for 2.5 yrs. Enough to say a phew phrases and order food at a restaurant.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
dero

Mac Specs: iPod Touch 4Gen 32Gb iMac 21'5 , 4GB memory, Core2Duo 3.06 GHz, 1 TB Hard Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by robduckyworth View Post
I only speak English fluently.

I studied French in school for three years, and from that I can now say the following phrases (roughly translated):

"Jai mange au burger" = I have eaten a burger
"Quelle la date de ton Anniversaire?" = When is your birthday?
"Oui madam" = Yes miss
"Jaime mon regle" = I love my ruler

As you can see, it wasnt my strong point.
J'ai mangé un hamburgeois.
Quelle est la date de ton anniversaire?
Oui Madame.
J'aime ma règle.

Yes I know, feminin and masculin is very hard for you anglos...

(Hummm, why do you love your ruler??)

My happy Macstable
iPod Touch 4th Gen 32Gb
1 Terra HDD
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Some would argue Canadian French isn't real French

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
dero

...and I would say, "see if I care. Let them think that..."

My happy Macstable
iPod Touch 4th Gen 32Gb
1 Terra HDD
QUOTE Thanks
Printerman

Printerman is a jewel in the roughPrinterman is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac10,1, 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 10.8.2, 21.5" screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
Some would argue Canadian French isn't real French
The issue is not whether or not it’s real French, but whether it opens up job opportunities for me in the future.

-Dylan
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Both my parents speak French fluently and they never taught us. Whenever they would get into arguments the French starts flying...and that's how I picked up French.

Studied Japanese in College for one semester but have been reading and listening to Japanese for practically my whole life. Anime and Japanese friends, also playing Japanese games.

Also been dating a Vietnamese girl for almost 7 years so I understand quite a bit of Vietnamese. Very familiar when she starts talking smack about me. >_<"

Of course English, cause parents just sit me infront of the TV as a child for hours. >_>"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Well, I took French all the way up to and including grade nine. That said, I know very little. In essence, "je ne parle pas francais." I was hoping that being at a fully bilingual university would help but alas, I know just as much as before I enrolled. I do pick up parts of the language though being in Ottawa - all the signs in the city are in French and English but seeing "chemin" and "rue" over and over again doesn't really expand the vocabulary.

I'd love to learn Dutch but I don't really know where to start.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

English and German (although my German is admittedly roughly grammar school level tops). A spattering of Spanish (enough to live along the border). I'd love to learn Norwegian, but if Swedish is rare.. Norwegian (at least in the southwest US) is even rarer.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Good Forum for Health/Medical | Facebook »