New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

How does your Mac stack up - Geekbench thread.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Moss

Moss is a jewel in the roughMoss is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM

32 bit!

Facebook|Twitter
If someone is being helpful, use the reputation system on your left!
QUOTE Thanks
Germany_chris

Germany_chris has a spectacular aura about

Here's the old girls geekbench
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 2.png (352.2 KB, 73 views)

Mac Pro 4,1 (Flashed to 5,1) W3570 3.2 Quad..48GB RAM..Gainward GTX 570 "Phantom."
MacBook Pro 5,2..2.8Ghz C2D..8GB RAM..240GB Vertex +
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

I'm just curious as to why to use geekbench vs novabench which also includes GPU benchmarking...?

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethfel View Post
I'm just curious as to why to use geekbench vs novabench which also includes GPU benchmarking...?
There's probably no logical explanation for it from a factual standpoint.

One of my issues with Geekbench has always been it's lack of gpu testing. I think that quantifying the gpu aspect of todays computers is VERY important in being able to make logical buying decisions (new or used)...and just to see how a person's current computer stacks up against newer models.

Geekbench is probably one of the more well known benchmarking apps. Everymac.com uses it...and here's a fairly popular web link that is used for model comparisons:

Mac Benchmarks - Geekbench Browser

If Novabench is superior...I'm all for it. Actually...another very good & free benchmarking program (which tests both cpu & gpu) is Cinebench:

MAXON | 3D FOR THE REAL WORLD: CINEBENCH

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Germany_chris

Quote:
Because geekbewnch only takes into account processor and RAM the places where intel excels. It's also not compatible with the newer Power Architecture so it can't show where x86-64 fails. Geekbench shows Mac's in the best light no matter whether it's Intels best light or Apples .

Mac Pro 4,1 (Flashed to 5,1) W3570 3.2 Quad..48GB RAM..Gainward GTX 570 "Phantom."
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Last weekend, I picked up a new MacBook Pro (13", i5) and decided to compare this to my old 08 MB (C2D). I ran three different tests - Geekbench, Novabench and a test I wrote myself (I couldn't get Cinebench to work on the old 08 MB and I didn't feel like trying again). Here's what I got:

image001.png

image002.png

image003.png

My test was quite simple. I timed how long it took the computer to count to 10,000,000 and added that to the time it took to create and delete 50,000 plain text files with the word "Test" in it.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Last weekend, I picked up a new MacBook Pro (13", i5) and decided to compare this to my old 08 MB (C2D). I ran three different tests - Geekbench, Novabench and a test I wrote myself (I couldn't get Cinebench to work on the old 08 MB and I didn't feel like trying again).
Pretty neat that you designed your own test...regardless of it's simplicity!

Regarding Cinebench. Was it version 11.5? If so...were you unable to run both the cpu & OpenGL (graphics) tests.

In case it wasn't version 11.5...here's the link:

MAXON | 3D FOR THE REAL WORLD: CINEBENCH

- Nick

p.s. Congrats on the new computer!!! Where did the "starving student" find the $$$$??

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Pretty neat that you designed your own test...regardless of it's simplicity!
Thanks. It doesn't test much beyond CPU speed and file I/O but it does help to show how much faster the new machine is. Surprisingly, both machines did the counting and file creation at relatively the same speed but the new machine was magnitudes faster at removing the files.

Quote:
Regarding Cinebench. Was it version 11.5? If so...were you unable to run both the cpu & OpenGL (graphics) tests.
Yeah, it was 11.5. It kept failing on the OpenGL tests.

Quote:
p.s. Congrats on the new computer!!! Where did the "starving student" find the $$$$??
Months of saving + student discount + living frugally.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Congrats Van on the new MBP! Good going.

So Where can we download VanBench®??
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

I'd quite like to use van bench too

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

I wrote it for my use but I can certainly fine tune it such that it works for everyone else. I'll report back.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germany_chris View Post
Because geekbewnch only takes into account processor and RAM the places where intel excels. It's also not compatible with the newer Power Architecture so it can't show where x86-64 fails. Geekbench shows Mac's in the best light no matter whether it's Intels best light or Apples .
I guess I just don't feel that is a complete test of a system as graphical power directly plays into the overall functionality of a modern day system. So much of the GUIs now are enhanced by the GPU that only looking at the CPU and RAM is only looking at a smaller picture of the total environment. A simple example would be two systems side by side, one with a dedicated GPU and one without, but everything else the same - Geekbench would show them as basically the same system in terms of performance but that would be inaccurate because most likely the one with a dedicated GPU would outperform the non dedicated on many tasks that incorporate the GPU as well as the CPU.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
Germany_chris

Quote:
I guess I just don't feel that is a complete test of a system as graphical power directly plays into the overall functionality of a modern day system. So much of the GUIs now are enhanced by the GPU that only looking at the CPU and RAM is only looking at a smaller picture of the total environment. A simple example would be two systems side by side, one with a dedicated GPU and one without, but everything else the same - Geekbench would show them as basically the same system in terms of performance but that would be inaccurate because most likely the one with a dedicated GPU would outperform the non dedicated on many tasks that incorporate the GPU as well as the CPU.
More my concern is IO speed only because when have no really good way of cross platform benching between Nvidia and ATI. Cinebench is nice but doesn't let CUDA come into play. and back an fourth. I'm still not a Geekbench lover, it's just not a system test like xbench, but x bench has proven to unreliable and nor has it been updated in half a decade.

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
So much of the GUIs now are enhanced by the GPU that only looking at the CPU and RAM is only looking at a smaller picture of the total environment.
I really wish this trend towards GPU accelerating everything would stop because it went overboard (and continues to do so). For example, why do I need a GPU accelerated web browser? I don't. Do I need a fully accelerated desktop environment (I'm looking at you Windows and *nix)? No. I'm willing to guess that 90% of what is accelerated doesn't need to be and does little but showcase programming skill. This is above and beyond the major problem with GPU acceleration - it degrades the performance for anyone who doesn't have a decent GPU.

During the Opera 12 release cycle, they were testing GPU acceleration which, as a company that officially supports four platforms, is a tricky endeavour. During the development process, I tried the builds with it on and it was a disaster with no discernible improvement in performance. Thankfully, it isn't enabled by default. You've got me thinking though what kind of performance difference I might see with it on and off. Hmmm...off to testing I go!

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Agreed Van and well said.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Any Formula 1 fans around here? | Funny or Die makes a Steve jobs movie. iSteve is more a parody than anything else. »