New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Overclocking macs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dlisle20

Im a serious PC overclocker and I just looked at my powerbook and thought, what can I do with this? Does anybody know if its safe and where I can find info on how to overclock my powerbook, it would be nice to have it at 1.67Ghz

Also: anybody else overclocked their pbook yet
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Overclocking the powerbook is against all that I think is good for the powerbook, it requires soldering and when soldering there is always that possibly of breaking something... although you are probably very skilled at soldering, as am I, I have taken many classes and I still will not solder such things as a powerbook. I will have to say even if you overclock the powerbook I will not say its a good thing to do.. It is however possible and a quick google search showed up thise instructions.
http://www.voelker.com/service/void_...owerbookg4.php

This is their disclaimer which pretty much says it all.
Quote:
DISCLAIMER: You shouldn't do this to your PowerBook. Period. This information is for educational and entertainment use only. If you actually follow these procedures it will void your Apple Warranty. If you follow these procedures you may break your PowerBook. If you break your PowerBook, well... we warned you.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
sarahsboy18

sarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition

Overclocking will also void your warranty... But I agree it would be cool to say you have an overclocked PB.

Edit: Ah... Beat me to it PBG4

"If you had a friend who was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down a sidewalk, and he fell, that would be completely unacceptable." -Mitch Hedberg
QUOTE Thanks
dlisle20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBookG4
Overclocking the powerbook is against all that I think is good for the powerbook, it requires soldering and when soldering there is always that possibly of breaking something... although you are probably very skilled at soldering, as am I, I have taken many classes and I still will not solder such things as a powerbook. I will have to say even if you overclock the powerbook I will not say its a good thing to do.. It is however possible and a quick google search showed up thise instructions.
http://www.voelker.com/service/void_...owerbookg4.php

This is their disclaimer which pretty much says it all.
the prosedure looks easily doable, but its on a titanium

EDIT: im insured i need no warranty MOOHAHAHA
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

question......why!?

you have a mac now and TBH its all about how much ram you have not the proc speed that makes all the difference
QUOTE Thanks
dlisle20

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflexion
question......why!?

you have a mac now and TBH its all about how much ram you have not the proc speed that makes all the difference
mate, you have no clue your on about ram only makes a diff in OSX and loading times but proc increases the speed of framerates which is what is important to me
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Actually, no: He's right.

More RAM will have a much larger impact under OS X than 170Mhz difference in clock speed.

Sure: You'll have an improvement with a faster processor - but not as much as if you add another 512MB of RAM.

Your machine currently has the bare minimum to run 10.4 halfway decently.
QUOTE Thanks
dlisle20

overcloking is FREE buying ram is expensive. peroid

EDIT: also aptmunich if youve read my post youll see why that is irrelavent
QUOTE Thanks
sarahsboy18

sarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlisle20
overcloking is FREE buying ram is expensive. peroid

EDIT: also aptmunich if youve read my post youll see why that is irrelavent
Not as expensive as frying your machine... oh... yeah... insurance. neye:

"If you had a friend who was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down a sidewalk, and he fell, that would be completely unacceptable." -Mitch Hedberg
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Well I don't know what kind of insurance you have, but willful destruction usually isn't covered.... and that is pretty much what you would be doing to the PowerBook by overclocking it.
Plus, what Aptmunich said is not irrelevant. Yes, RAM does cost money, but not nearly as much as it would cost to try and repair a botched soldering job from a failed overclocking attempt.
It sounds like you, like many others here, seem to be fairly PC/Windows knowledgable...but what you are failing to realize is that those rules don't always apply in the Macintosh world.
Upping your system RAM will improve your framerate. Also, assuming you are running Tiger, something as simple as disabling Dashboard would show a slight increase in framerate.
Still, with all this focus and talk about framerate, I would be inclined to think that you are trying to improve gaming on your Mac. This really won't happen, as gaming always has been and likely always will be better on a Windows PC. Sure you can game on a Mac, but it will never be the same as gaming on Windows.
So in summary, if you want to have a better gaming experience, then use your Windows PC for it...don't ruin a Mac by trying to overclock it.
:black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlisle20
Im a serious PC overclocker
and this is where you MAC overclocking knowledge goes out the window

i dont appriciate someone tell me i know FA when they are so ignorent as to what people are saying.

To quote what i originally said
Quote:
Originally Posted by inflexion
you have a mac now
meaning that the OS is different and the whole PPC achitecture is different from x86 so overclocking and ram has different effects.

dont worry i wont hold it against you as are mistaken
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

this link is more about overclocking your video card but the people over there agree with us about the overclocking and what not...give it a quick read

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/.../t-119478.html

-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
sevenhelmet

sevenhelmet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum Macbook 2.4Ghz; Powermac G5 2.3Ghz dual

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
Sure you can game on a Mac, but it will never be the same as gaming on Windows.
So in summary, if you want to have a better gaming experience, then use your Windows PC for it...don't ruin a Mac by trying to overclock it.

Gaming on a mac is just fine, thank you. But I will submit that you need a top-notch gfx card... RAM or clock speeds above the recommended amount for the game does not improve framerates.

"Luck favors the prepared"
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenhelmet
RAM or clock speeds above the recommended amount for the game does not improve framerates.
Yes it does.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenhelmet
Gaming on a mac is just fine, thank you.
I agree, I play games on mine as well. What I did say though was
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
it will never be the same as gaming on Windows.
Yes, you can game on a Mac, but it is better on Windows.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Manchester United match | Tabbed chatting on iChat???? »