New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Gas Prices

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ramimac1

Ramimac1 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
Be thankful you don't pay our fuel prices then..
Very thankful, if prices get near $6 US here you may see people evaluating their part time, minimum wage jobs as not worth the effort.

Old time Computer Hardware Tech
Ohh My Typing Sucks Live with it

Snoopy is the Man !!!
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramimac1 View Post
Very thankful, if prices get near $6 US here you may see people evaluating there part time, minimum wage jobs as not worth the effort.
That's a very good point. I can see it happening here, or already having a similar effect, in that it's just not worth people getting a job, as all the money will go on travel.
I'm lucky in that respect, my van is for firm's use only, though I bring it home. I have no fuel costs for them.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
Moss

Moss is a jewel in the roughMoss is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM

Praise the lord for bikes! So easy to get around in Portland, OR.

Facebook|Twitter
If someone is being helpful, use the reputation system on your left!
QUOTE Thanks
whitehorse84

whitehorse84 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro

my 2011 M3 gets 12mpg in city Cost of doing business though I suppose.
QUOTE Thanks
Derekb41

Derekb41 is on a distinguished road

$3.59 here is Tennessee.

20" iMac; 15" MBP
QUOTE Thanks
Leukeh

Leukeh is a jewel in the roughLeukeh is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM

Here in Aus it's averaging about $1.46 per litre... which is about $5.52 per gallon.

Behance Design/Photography Porfolio
QUOTE Thanks
macmacaman

macmacaman is on a distinguished road

Thank god I live in a city with great public transport and bikeroutes. Couldn´t afford a car and the gas on my wages.
QUOTE Thanks
RoyalEF

RoyalEF is on a distinguished road

$4.17 for regular this morning in the suburbs of NYC.

Planning to travel cross country in a RV starting in June. Timing sucks, since I've been planning this for a year. I'll have to fill up in the cheaper states as much as possible.
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

It's still floating between $1.26 - $1.30/L in Ontario. (approx. $4.79 - $4.94/gal)
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

I saw an article title that said we might see $6/gal. I was afraid to read the article, so skipped it.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.2-MacMini3,1:10.9.2-iPhone6,1:7.1

Here's an idea I read about. It will never happen because high gas prices undermine the agenda of the "new energy" and many 401k's and pension funds have commodities. But...

Call your elected officials and demand they take a vote to short sell the SPR. Heck, when Congress doesn't/can't pass something, there's usually an agency that poops out a convenient "regulation" that can get it done. Regardless, you don't have to actually deliver it to anyone - it's all a war of paper. Heck, we can oversubscribe the sell like OPEC if we want as no one is going to actually get any of it anyhow. Sell it for whatever as long as it's low and flood the market with sells - it's volatile anyhow. Let the shorts sells drive it down and then cover the shorts at lower prices. That will let the wind out of the longs.

We seem to be able to rationalize just about anything as a threat to our national security whether it's economic security or physical security. I'm sure there is a loophole for some agency somewhere that makes it theoretically possible. Drag some stories out to the MSM about small businesses going under, pets freezing to death and people not looking for work because it's not financially viable to spend the money it takes to drive in relative to wages. Get some catch phrase like "Citizens are too big to fail." Whatever. People generally do what the TV says and they will demand action if you make it simple.

Heck, it's the citizen's money (and SPR) so we may as well do something that benefits us with it. It's a Capitalist country so we may as well use it to our advantage as not everyone can afford to speculate or pay for expensive gas. It won't happen, but it would be nice.

Privacy has become a luxury good. Be prepared to budget for it from here on out...
QUOTE Thanks
Greg55

Greg55 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac | iPod nano | iPhone 4

3.73 per gal here in NC. (near Charlotte)
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWhat View Post
I saw an article title that said we might see $6/gal. I was afraid to read the article, so skipped it.
I wouldn't be surprised to see $5 by the end of the month in SolCal, and in some of the other bigger cities in the US.>_>"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
iBeldar

iBeldar will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '08 White MB 2.1ghz - 4GB- 120GB- Superdrive - Snow Leopard

The Kroger gas station in front of my work has it for about $3.71 a gallon I think, for regular 87 octane. My big boat, Grand Marquis, probably averages me about 20mpg. It is a 19.7 mile round trip to get there and back. I make minimum wage.

I can't wait for it to hit $6 a gallon.... lol, I will basically be buying gas for the week with one day's pay. $20 right now will get me ~ 1/4 tank, maybe a tad more. I never run all the way to empty.

EDIT: To touch on the public transportation topic; I live about 10 miles west of Atlanta, GA. There is one of the busiest airports in the world. How many times have I seen a bus here? Not counting church/school/etc buses, none. There are taxi companys and chances are you'll see one a day, possibly more. But it isn't like NY where you stand on the side of the road and yell for one. You basically call the cab company, and they dispatch a cab to you, just like the police. I had to take my dad to the airport at 5am one time because the taxi company told him it would be 3 hours before the next cab could get to him. You can take a bus on longer trips, but as said before, even with one destination it takes forever. Takes us about 12 hours tops to drive to Missouri to visit family; my aunt took a bus down here last summer and the ride was ~20 hours. Not to mention you're cramped on a smelly bus full of strangers.

So yea, our gas is cheaper than most places, but with good reason.

White Penryn Macbook 08'
2.1GHZ C2D - 4GB RAM - 120GB HD - Combo Drive - Snow Leopard - Windows 7 Professional
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.2-MacMini3,1:10.9.2-iPhone6,1:7.1

$3.99 in Minneapolis as of this morning. Anyhow, here's some interesting numbers on gas prices. Specifically, the recently released quarterly information on the fuel taxes by State and FedGov per gallon. The oil company profits are somewhere between 10 and 30 cents per gallon depending upon where you source the information (FreeRep -vs- MSM -vs- DU).

http://www.api.org/statistics/fuelta...el_Summary.pdf

Here's a link on how one investor hedged on Summer futures to defray fuel costs. In the example, an investor makes $380 to offset gas expenditures for his household. Not rocket science, and certainly doable for someone willing to do some research.

How I Hedged Summer Gas Prices With ETF UGA - Seeking Alpha

Privacy has become a luxury good. Be prepared to budget for it from here on out...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Breaking: Osama Bin Laden is dead | White iPhone trumps new iMac's ? Really? »