New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Solid State Hard Drives

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

How long before apple goes solid state hard drives?
THEY EXIST NOW!!!

From Liberman Inc. the PuRAM drive:

PuRam™ - The future, today.
Introducing the first desktop computer configurable WITHOUT a system hard drive. The Operating system and system files reside on a PuRam™ solid state flash disk with near zero latency and seek times, and burst transfer rates up to 8.5GB/s I/O, capable of over 150,000 I/O requests per second, all with an average of 0.0% CPU utilization. This translates into an effective desktop business productivity of up to 100 times faster than the fastest available hard disk design at any price or configuration. These are non-volatile units just like a regular hard drive with a permanent storage cycle. There are no more virtual memory or swap file delays (since now they are as fast as RAM) and there are no more System Disk Defrags (memory is random so it does not need defragging). Windows boots-up in seconds, load your games and apps in seconds, and start any program virtually instantly. Also moving, copying, or working on large files has literally no slow-down affect in the blistering fast computing speed. Furthermore, PuRam™ Drives are extremely resistant to shock, vibration and temperature variations, while providing unprecedented performance and superior durability. Allied to our CacheFlow™ technology, the PuRam™ Drives give your audio, video, CAD, graphic, gaming, industrial or scientific applications the most, compelling and unmatched data through output speeds. Absolutely like no other.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Can you actually buy these PuRam drives? How much?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Apple could use PuRam™ and place OS X there. Then if they were to use license keys through out the OS you would not know it, because of the speed.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
badmojo

I hate to burst your bubble on Liberman/PuRam but this whole company is a sham. They've been in and out of bankruptcy and many of the well-respected PC magazines have basically stated that Liberman is a phantom company. Google them and see what articles emerge.

edit: Here's a site that goes deep into the sham that is "Go-L":

http://plex.us/outbursts/liebermann.html
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

I didn't notice the source you quoted, that place is a joke.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
Can you actually buy these PuRam drives? How much?
I have looked I am unable to find the ability to buy one.. When I find It I will deffinatly let you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmojo
I hate to burst your bubble on Liberman/PuRam but this whole company is a sham. They've been in and out of bankruptcy and many of the well-respected PC magazines have basically stated that Liberman is a phantom company. Google them and see what articles emerge.
I wil do a google search on them now.. They seam to be a legit company and out of bankrupcy now, if this is the case where this technology is real then I am very excited to see where this company goes. I however will not invest my own money in this company since you said that they are a sham but lets see where it goes, maybe apple will see that these people are developing such great technology (if they really are) and try to creat simular technology themselves or create some kind of partnership.

My Website
Blog
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I searched for solid state flash disk and found Samsung develops flash-based disk.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
badmojo

Rman's link to the CNET story states that Samsung just developed a flash-based 16 Gb hard drive capabable of 57/32 mb/s transfer rates, targeting notebooks.

Go-L's site claims the following:
"The Operating system and system files reside on a PuRam™ solid state flash disk with near zero latency and seek times, and burst transfer rates up to 8.5GB/s I/O, capable of over 150,000 I/O requests per second, all with an average of 0.0% CPU utilization. This translates into an effective desktop business productivity of up to 100 times faster than the fastest available hard disk design at any price or configuration.."

C'mon. It's beyond comprehension that a "nobody" like Lieberman developed a technology that's years ahead of what someone like Samsung could develop.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

update: So solid state drives do existe I was unable to find large ones but they do exist.. these are the largest I have found but are not yet released..
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23425

My Website
Blog
QUOTE Thanks
rman

Those would be large enough to hold the OS and various applications.

QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

They have been around for awhile, but the models out weren't really meant for the desktop market. The ones I looked at awhile back were really expensive and not that fast. They were really meant for military and other special applications.

I bet Voodoo or Alienware will be the first with solid state drives in their computers, since they don't seem to mind selling laptops that cost more than some new cars.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« finder/pref window,can anyone tell me what this does? | changed my avy »