New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

AT&T Agrees to Buy T-Mobile

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
Would this not insinuate that ATT will now have a virtual monopoly in the US GSM market ? How can that be a good thing for anybody ?
Yeah, but it's not as a big a deal as it sounds. Since both AT&T and Verizon are moving to LTE (and I'll bet Sprint eventually gives up on it's stupid WiMax strat and goes to LTE also). So being having a monopoly on GSM in a few years will be like saying they have a monopoly on analog or TDMA today.

But I've read a few articles on this and I tend to agree with them, that I think it will be highly unlikely that the FCC and DOJ will end up approving this, especially under a Democratic administration. I mean the FCC just very recently released a report stating there was already a dangerous concentration of spectrum with the national carriers, can't believe after writing that they'd say "oh uh dur, let's say yes to this" unless they're total idiots.

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I actually like T-mobile!! I always keep a t-mobile phone(BlackBerry 7150)handy for when I go to Europe........NOOOOOOO!!!!!
>(

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
a.j.c.

a.j.c. is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: soon to be another iMac owner

it's business..who cares who buys who

as long as there is an iphone in my hand thats really all i care about
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.j.c. View Post

You will care when your iphone data all of a sudden costs more. And all these mergers and buyouts to affect rate plan prices too.
QUOTE Thanks
a.j.c.

a.j.c. is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: soon to be another iMac owner

i understand and agree but do we have any control over these buy outs??

companies are always going to merge or buy out smaller like companies..

in the end the consumer gets screwed in this case yes more expensive bills..

but at the end of the day we can't do anything about it..

thats why i said what ever happens happens.. as long as i have my phone of choice i'm happy
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

T-Mobile was the only carrier who consistently upset the apple cart on pricing. They drove down or at least kept pricing industry-wide static. Without them the wireless cartel of AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint will continue to restrain allowable use while increasing price without any actual competition.

AT&T as a corporation hates the consumer. Verizon is really the same way, they just hide it better (sorry to all the VZW fanbois out there, but it's the truth). Sprint, that company has been the walking dead for at least the last 5 years waiting for someone, anyone to just buy them or shoot them to put them out of their misery.

If the FCC approves the AT&T - Tmo merger, there's no ground for them to deny the eventual VZW - Sprint merger which then leaves us with a national duopoly run by two consumer hating mega-corporations.

QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Quote:
i understand and agree but do we have any control over these buy outs??
Yes, it's called your government. If they do the right thing, they should be enforcing anti-trust laws created to protect the consumer and the market place. However, given that corporations for the most part own the US government at this point, that rarely happens.

QUOTE Thanks
Shikarnov

Shikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the rough

This is terrible news. I hate AT&T, and avoid working with them whenever possible. As a result, my personal cell phones, all of which are on T-Mobile (my work iPhone is, obviously, on AT&T) will be assimilated.
QUOTE Thanks
alexsd123

alexsd123 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

I'm thinking a lot of the T-Mobile people may hop boat to Sprint if the prices jump.

From what I here, T-Mobile and Sprint were talking about a merge a couple weeks ago.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsd123 View Post
I'm thinking a lot of the T-Mobile people may hop boat to Sprint if the prices jump.

From what I here, T-Mobile and Sprint were talking about a merge a couple weeks ago.
You mean until Sprint is bought up by Verizon?

QUOTE Thanks
ukchucktown

ukchucktown has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, this blows. My unlimited T-mobile plan is 30 bucks less than a comparable plan on ATT and Verizon. I sure hope the feds kill this merger. I'd like T-Mobile and Sprint to stick around.
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Here's a good article to bookmark.

Want to Complain About AT&T and T-Mo? Here’s How: Tech News and Analysis «
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWhat View Post
Thanks for the link! Got into touch with them, but got placed on hold...ended up hanging on them and sending an email instead. I hope this merger goes kaput!

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I wouldn't bet on the US government enforcing anti-trust laws by killing the buy out. AT&T has plenty of lobbyists in DC plus it can potentially be a good thing for the unions. (AT&T is unionized, and this can get them more members.) And guess which party the unions support?

And with the economy the way it is here in the US, the buy out will be looked upon as a boost rather than a negative.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukchucktown View Post
Yeah, this blows. My unlimited T-mobile plan is 30 bucks less than a comparable plan on ATT and Verizon. I sure hope the feds kill this merger. I'd like T-Mobile and Sprint to stick around.
Consider that there has to be a reason why DT is willing to sell T-Mo in the first place. Perhaps that great pricing plan that keeps customers with them isn't going to enable them to survive and the need became apparent to raise prices. Perhaps it was just easier to get out from under the money losing rock and move on. They aren't likely to be selling it because it's a booming and profitable business.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Any Good Trackers? | Glass Ketchup Bottles »