New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

8.9 Magnitude Earthquake Just hit Japan. Tsunami Watch in effect

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

North Japan has just been hit with what could be the fourth or fifth biggest recorded earthquake in modern history.
Potential tsunami's throughout the Pacific according to the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center:

http://www.weather.gov/ptwc/

Quote:
AN INVESTIGATION IS UNDERWAY TO DETERMINE
IF THERE IS A TSUNAMI THREAT TO HAWAII.
IF TSUNAMI WAVES IMPACT HAWAII THE ESTIMATED EARLIEST ARRIVAL OF
THE FIRST TSUNAMI WAVE IS
0259 AM HST FRI 11 MAR 2011
Sending positive thoughts out.... Just hope they get quick relief.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Scary thought about when that tsunami hits Hawaii. That's roughly 5 AM my time.

National Weather Service - Honolulu, Hawaii: National Weather Service Forecast Office - Honolulu, Hawai`i

Quote:
COASTAL WATERS FORECAST
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HONOLULU HI
928 PM HST THU MAR 10 2011

HAWAIIAN COASTAL WATERS WITHIN 40 NAUTICAL MILES INCLUDING THE
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS HUMPBACK WHALE NATIONAL MARINE SANCTUARY.

PHZ118-112015-
MAUI COUNTY LEEWARD WATERS-
928 PM HST THU MAR 10 2011

...TSUNAMI WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM HST FRIDAY...

.TODAY...NORTHEAST WINDS 20 KT. WIND WAVES 7 FT. SCATTERED
SHOWERS IN THE MORNING...THEN ISOLATED SHOWERS IN THE AFTERNOON.
.TONIGHT...EAST WINDS 20 KT. WIND WAVES 7 FT. SCATTERED SHOWERS
IN THE EVENING...THEN ISOLATED SHOWERS AFTER MIDNIGHT.
.FRIDAY...NORTHEAST WINDS 15 KT. WIND WAVES 6 FT. ISOLATED
SHOWERS IN THE MORNING.
.FRIDAY NIGHT...NORTHEAST WINDS 15 KT. WIND WAVES 6 FT. ISOLATED
SHOWERS IN THE EVENING.
.SATURDAY...NORTHEAST WINDS 15 KT. WIND WAVES 6 FT. ISOLATED
SHOWERS IN THE MORNING.
.SATURDAY NIGHT...EAST WINDS 15 KT. WIND WAVES 4 FT. ISOLATED
SHOWERS IN THE EVENING.
.SUNDAY...NORTHEAST WINDS 15 KT. WIND WAVES 4 FT.
.MONDAY...NORTHEAST WINDS 10 KT. WIND WAVES 4 FT.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 7.1.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 7.1.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.4
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB1
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Great my girl friend is freaking out about this now. <_<"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Japanese quake forces Sony shutdown, may hit Nikon, more
Japanese quake forces Sony shutdown, may hit Nikon, more | Electronista
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Hope everyone stays safe, nature at it's worst, but nothing you can do.
One thing though, have you seen the whirlpool - astounding! Like someone pulled the plug out of the ocean floor.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Here in the states, they're preparing for possible impacts to parts of Washington, Oregon, and Northern California. I heard on the radio this morning that they evacuated one town in Washington already.
That's some scary stuff. I feel for those in Japan being in the dark and on an island with limited escape routes. That's gotta be tough. Our thoughts and prayers go out to everyone impacted by this disaster.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Sitting (delayed) in the airport in Boston and the news stations are looping footage from Japan. It's just incredible to watch.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Evacuating a town in Washington? Really? I didn't think it would be that bad once it comes to N.A., but I would say all the luck to everyone in Japan, but it seems kind of weird knowing so many people have lost their lives, and hundreds are still missing.

Shouldn't have been prepared a little? I've been reading the news, and everything suggests that they neglected the power of the recent oceanic earthquake. The fact that it was the largest recored would be enough to worry me, especially if I was living in Japan, or other close Asian countries.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
Moss

Moss is a jewel in the roughMoss is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
Here in the states, they're preparing for possible impacts to parts of Washington, Oregon, and Northern California. I heard on the radio this morning that they evacuated one town in Washington already.
That's some scary stuff. I feel for those in Japan being in the dark and on an island with limited escape routes. That's gotta be tough. Our thoughts and prayers go out to everyone impacted by this disaster.
As far as I'm aware, all schools along the Oregon coast are closed. It sounds like the impact wave will only be about 2-3 feet high, so nothing too incredibly bad hits hopefully. I'm in Portland, OR, just a couple hours away from the coast. It's scary to have woken up to news of this, but they are saying it shouldn't be too bad. It was estimated to have hit about 50 minutes ago, but hasn't yet. It hit Hawaii at about 5 feet if I'm correct. I'm just concerned for areas that have, are, or will be hit harder than here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
Evacuating a town in Washington? Really?
They've evacuated quite a few in Oregon as well.

Facebook|Twitter
If someone is being helpful, use the reputation system on your left!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

All the beaches in SoCal are closed, that goes for harbors and anything near the water. Tsunami advisory are in effect. I think there is only one school closing and that's in New Port Beach. 2 feet high waves is not really that dangerous but the currents are erratic and that is dangerous.

I live 5 minutes walking distance to the beach. >_<"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
2 feet high waves is not really that dangerous but the currents are erratic and that is dangerous.

I live 5 minutes walking distance to the beach. >_<"
True. I was in Huntington Beach (couple miles N. of Newport) Aug of last yr and waves were like 3 or 4 feet tall one morning. Insane! But it's not the kind of stuff that will make its way to the streets or houses.

It's still good that these cities/states are exercising precaution. Better safe than sorry.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
Moss

Moss is a jewel in the roughMoss is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
True. I was in Huntington Beach (couple miles N. of Newport) Aug of last yr and waves were like 3 or 4 feet tall one morning. Insane! But it's not the kind of stuff that will make its way to the streets or houses.

It's still good that these cities/states are exercising precaution. Better safe than sorry.
Exactly. In the event of a big tsunami hitting, these folks are better prepared and practiced for evacuation.

Facebook|Twitter
If someone is being helpful, use the reputation system on your left!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I watched that initial Tsunami wave coming in on shore in Northern Japan last night on late night TV. It was absolutely devastating. Learned this morning that the wave was 23' high.

I lived in Japan for awhile (during my military days) and know that there are some very old wood structures that are still being used. I imagine most of those were destroyed. The Japanese are lucky in one respect though as the quake could have been centered around Tokyo where 18 million people reside.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
The Japanese are lucky in one respect though as the quake could have been centered around Tokyo where 18 million people reside.
If it did hit the capital things might have been a little better. As all their buildings in the capital are flexible and very earthquake resilient. They even have annual earthquake drills over there.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« And The Search Begins! | Facebook status of my anti-mac friend »