New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Microsoft posts countdown to kill off Internet Explorer 6

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Microsoft posts countdown to kill off Internet Explorer 6
Microsoft posts countdown to kill off Internet Explorer 6 | Electronista
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I find it hard to believe that people have not upgraded to Explorer 7 that use Windows.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

The reason continues to be the enterprise. I worked in IT as a summer job for a few years and since automatic updates are disabled on many machines, IE6 remains. I had to go upgrade IE on some machines simply because IE6 can't handle newer web technologies.

There is also the large number of XP machines still floating around that don't get updated or if they do, IE isn't updated. There could also be individuals who install XP and don't use IE, thus leaving v. 6 as the installed version.

This is where IE9 as being unavailable for XP is both good and bad - it's great because it won't be limited by the lack of advancements in XP but since XP is likely the OS with the largest IE6 install base, there may be fewer upgrades once 9 replaces 8 as the newest version.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Correct me if I am wrong but in order for updates to work on the OS itself IE must be used could they just simply put up a page in order to update you must first install IE 7 or state on the update IE7 is required that seems like it would push the demise of 6.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

IE 6 only works on XP I believe, and XP isn't getting updates any longer. It won't work on Windows 7.

Van is correct, it's mainly the enterprise which is still using IE6. You'd be amazed the number of fortune 500 companies still on XP. And of those, a bunch are still on IE 6 because often their internal sites or apps only work with IE 6.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
IE 6 only works on XP I believe, and XP isn't getting updates any longer. It won't work on Windows 7.

Van is correct, it's mainly the enterprise which is still using IE6. You'd be amazed the number of fortune 500 companies still on XP. And of those, a bunch are still on IE 6 because often their internal sites or apps only work with IE 6.
We're one of those companies that tend to drag our feet. We only got off of IE6 about 2 years ago. It's not as easy of a transition as you might think - some of the external vendors we work with have poorly maintained web tools that often don't play ball with newer browsers. Also add-ons can be problematic when upgrading.

We're on IE7 now and eventually we'll go to IE8 when we do the Win7 roll-out (which is slated to finish sometime next year). By that time, I suspect Win8 will have rolled out. But hey, at least we're upgrading. I remember doing a refresh back in 2005. At the time, we were making the quantum leap from NT4 w/ Office '97 to XP with Office '03. That's an 8-year refresh cycle!

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

We're still on IE 6 at work cwa, so don't feel like you're dragging the feet too badly.

I'll be surprised if we see Win 7 anytime before late 2012 or 2013.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

So in actuality, if the majority of these IE6 are enterprises, we'll only see like a .1-9 adjustment of the percentages on MS countdown site?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My dog Pawpaw's birthday swim in the river :) | Apple has me in tunnel vision! »