Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
    Alienware Laptop Needs to lose some weight
    ok no worries to my mac family Im still 100% pro mac.... but Im a gamer and was just tired of switching platforms on my macs, so I decided to buy a laptop strictly for gaming ... i went with the new Alienware M17 fully loaded laptop with all the bells and whitsles... i have to say its such a cool looking computer, really love the attention to detail, from the purple illuminated keys to the pulsating alien logo... my only complaints are that this sucker weighs a ton, not only does it way a ton but i had to purchase the alienware backpack becuase i dont think any other case fits this beast... I wonder why they made it so big and bulky considering that mac makes a super powered laptop that weighs practically nothing..... had to give my two cents good thing is im building biceps lugging this monster around lol

Specs:
    Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
    I don't know much about Alienware laptops, but I hear their supposedly the "Top of the line gaming PC's" Maybe the extra weight is mostly from extra graphics hardware, but they probably could stand to lose some weight. I googled a pic, and that laptop is pretty bulky.

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    From the battery(ies) too.
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

Specs:
    IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
    Ahh that explains alot of weight never even noticed it has more than one battery...

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by macjuicy23 View Post
    Ahh that explains alot of weight never even noticed it has more than one battery...
    There is a price to be paid when you game on a notebook/laptop. Since it's very power hungry.
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

Specs:
    Custom PC
    You have to keep in mind, Alienware computers are designed to be a desktop-replacement, especially a 17" laptop. These laptops have high-end/high-power consumption components, which are powered by large batteries (as mentioned before).

I'd love to pick one of these up if I could afford it, but buying a complete desktop system with equal or better specs, is just a much more cost-effective solution for my needs.

However, having a light-weight laptop, with the power of my desktop would be a pretty sweet move.

Just my $0.02

Specs:
    3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
    yea, which is why gaming laptops are such a hassle... sure their portable, but honestly you start gaming and either you finish in half an hour, or you plug it in.

Specs:
    Sooper Fast!
    Quote Originally Posted by macjuicy23 View Post
    ok no worries to my mac family Im still 100% pro mac.... but Im a gamer and was just tired of switching platforms on my macs, so I decided to buy a laptop strictly for gaming ... i went with the new Alienware M17 fully loaded laptop with all the bells and whitsles... i have to say its such a cool looking computer, really love the attention to detail, from the purple illuminated keys to the pulsating alien logo... my only complaints are that this sucker weighs a ton, not only does it way a ton but i had to purchase the alienware backpack becuase i dont think any other case fits this beast... I wonder why they made it so big and bulky considering that mac makes a super powered laptop that weighs practically nothing..... had to give my two cents good thing is im building biceps lugging this monster around lol
    The MBP is not superpower in comparison. The most you can get in an MBP is a 2.8ghz i7 and a Nvidia Geforce GT 330M with 512mb RAM. The Alienware can sport an Inter I7-940XM that boosts up to 3.33ghz and dual 1GB ATI cards. That's a power house that I wouldn't be afraid to use to do things like render video on. I can't say the same for the MBP.
    Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
    Capitol Sound Blog

Specs:
    17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
    Yes but the MBP is not a desktop replacement with like 30 minutes battery life. It actually can be used out and about. That's the different between the two. And yeah this difference makes them target different target audiences.

Specs:
    Sooper Fast!
    Quote Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
    Yes but the MBP is not a desktop replacement with like 30 minutes battery life. It actually can be used out and about. That's the different between the two. And yeah this difference makes them target different target audiences.
    No one claimed that the Alienware was portable, just that apple makes a laptop that's super powered. And yes, they are marketed to two different groups.

If you want to start an arguement, don't try and argue a point that wasn't brought up and that I agree with. Doesn't work that way.

Slough Roast Blog
    Capitol Sound Blog

Specs:
    4.1 Mac Pro. 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. PM G5. iPhone 6S+ 64gb Gold. Apple Watch 42mm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
    I can't say the same for the MBP.
    You can't say that for the MBP? Really? That's a little foolish, and negative!
    If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment. Marcus Aurelius

Specs:
    Sooper Fast!
    Quote Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
    You can't say that for the MBP? Really? That's a little foolish, and negative!
    Why's it foolish to have an opinion based on experience that trying to render video on a notebook with either a 256mb or 512mb GPU is something that I wouldn't do.

It's not an Apple vs. PC thing at all, it's a performance thing. Would I do video rendering on a Mac Pro? Yes.

Slough Roast Blog
    Capitol Sound Blog

Specs:
    4.1 Mac Pro. 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. PM G5. iPhone 6S+ 64gb Gold. Apple Watch 42mm.
    Stating an opinion is perfectly fine, but stating, "I wouldn't be afraid to use to do things like render video on. I can't say the same for the MBP," is a bit different. I render hd video on my mbp that isn't even as good as the one you mentioned, but you stated you would be afraid of rendering on it? Care to explain why you would be "afraid?"
    If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment. Marcus Aurelius

Specs:
    Sooper Fast!
    Quote Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
    Stating an opinion is perfectly fine, but stating, "I wouldn't be afraid to use to do things like render video on. I can't say the same for the MBP," is a bit different. I render hd video on my mbp that isn't even as good as the one you mentioned, but you stated you would be afraid of rendering on it? Care to explain why you would be "afraid?"
    It's an expression. Because it's slow.

Soda
    Pop
    Cola
    Coke

Slough Roast Blog
    Capitol Sound Blog

Specs:
    Macbook Pro 15"
    Probably the best selling point for the Macbooks is the light weight/ long battery life in comparison to the other computers out there

Thread Information