New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Alienware Laptop Needs to lose some weight

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macjuicy23

macjuicy23 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3

ok no worries to my mac family Im still 100% pro mac.... but Im a gamer and was just tired of switching platforms on my macs, so I decided to buy a laptop strictly for gaming ... i went with the new Alienware M17 fully loaded laptop with all the bells and whitsles... i have to say its such a cool looking computer, really love the attention to detail, from the purple illuminated keys to the pulsating alien logo... my only complaints are that this sucker weighs a ton, not only does it way a ton but i had to purchase the alienware backpack becuase i dont think any other case fits this beast... I wonder why they made it so big and bulky considering that mac makes a super powered laptop that weighs practically nothing..... had to give my two cents good thing is im building biceps lugging this monster around lol
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

I don't know much about Alienware laptops, but I hear their supposedly the "Top of the line gaming PC's" Maybe the extra weight is mostly from extra graphics hardware, but they probably could stand to lose some weight. I googled a pic, and that laptop is pretty bulky.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

From the battery(ies) too.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
macjuicy23

macjuicy23 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Ahh that explains alot of weight never even noticed it has more than one battery...
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjuicy23 View Post
Ahh that explains alot of weight never even noticed it has more than one battery...
There is a price to be paid when you game on a notebook/laptop. Since it's very power hungry.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

You have to keep in mind, Alienware computers are designed to be a desktop-replacement, especially a 17" laptop. These laptops have high-end/high-power consumption components, which are powered by large batteries (as mentioned before).

I'd love to pick one of these up if I could afford it, but buying a complete desktop system with equal or better specs, is just a much more cost-effective solution for my needs.

However, having a light-weight laptop, with the power of my desktop would be a pretty sweet move.

Just my $0.02
QUOTE Thanks
ZachUSAman

ZachUSAman is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
yea, which is why gaming laptops are such a hassle... sure their portable, but honestly you start gaming and either you finish in half an hour, or you plug it in.
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjuicy23 View Post
ok no worries to my mac family Im still 100% pro mac.... but Im a gamer and was just tired of switching platforms on my macs, so I decided to buy a laptop strictly for gaming ... i went with the new Alienware M17 fully loaded laptop with all the bells and whitsles... i have to say its such a cool looking computer, really love the attention to detail, from the purple illuminated keys to the pulsating alien logo... my only complaints are that this sucker weighs a ton, not only does it way a ton but i had to purchase the alienware backpack becuase i dont think any other case fits this beast... I wonder why they made it so big and bulky considering that mac makes a super powered laptop that weighs practically nothing..... had to give my two cents good thing is im building biceps lugging this monster around lol
The MBP is not superpower in comparison. The most you can get in an MBP is a 2.8ghz i7 and a Nvidia Geforce GT 330M with 512mb RAM. The Alienware can sport an Inter I7-940XM that boosts up to 3.33ghz and dual 1GB ATI cards. That's a power house that I wouldn't be afraid to use to do things like render video on. I can't say the same for the MBP.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Yes but the MBP is not a desktop replacement with like 30 minutes battery life. It actually can be used out and about. That's the different between the two. And yeah this difference makes them target different target audiences.
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
Yes but the MBP is not a desktop replacement with like 30 minutes battery life. It actually can be used out and about. That's the different between the two. And yeah this difference makes them target different target audiences.
No one claimed that the Alienware was portable, just that apple makes a laptop that's super powered. And yes, they are marketed to two different groups.

If you want to start an arguement, don't try and argue a point that wasn't brought up and that I agree with. Doesn't work that way.

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
I can't say the same for the MBP.
You can't say that for the MBP? Really? That's a little foolish, and negative!

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
You can't say that for the MBP? Really? That's a little foolish, and negative!
Why's it foolish to have an opinion based on experience that trying to render video on a notebook with either a 256mb or 512mb GPU is something that I wouldn't do.

It's not an Apple vs. PC thing at all, it's a performance thing. Would I do video rendering on a Mac Pro? Yes.

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

Stating an opinion is perfectly fine, but stating, "I wouldn't be afraid to use to do things like render video on. I can't say the same for the MBP," is a bit different. I render hd video on my mbp that isn't even as good as the one you mentioned, but you stated you would be afraid of rendering on it? Care to explain why you would be "afraid?"

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
Stating an opinion is perfectly fine, but stating, "I wouldn't be afraid to use to do things like render video on. I can't say the same for the MBP," is a bit different. I render hd video on my mbp that isn't even as good as the one you mentioned, but you stated you would be afraid of rendering on it? Care to explain why you would be "afraid?"
It's an expression. Because it's slow.

Soda
Pop
Cola
Coke

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
dbruns

dbruns is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15"

Probably the best selling point for the Macbooks is the light weight/ long battery life in comparison to the other computers out there
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« This post is especially for McYukon | Steve Jobs video of him prepping for his very first TV interview. »