New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

1979 KX80 restoration

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iMacaroni2

iMacaroni2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21" iMac duce core and a 15" I7 MBP

Hi all, My 9 yr old son and I ride dirt bikes. I just picked up a shed find 1979 kawasaki KX80. Is there anyone on these forums familiar with old dirt bikes? This old bike needs a lot of attention. Does anyone have parts, information or parts bikes out there? I have surfed the web for hours to research and find parts information and thought that I might get lucky finding parts through a less formal approach. Thanks, Tony
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a glorious beacon of lightRandy B. Singer is a glorious beacon of lightRandy B. Singer is a glorious beacon of lightRandy B. Singer is a glorious beacon of lightRandy B. Singer is a glorious beacon of lightRandy B. Singer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacaroni2 View Post
Hi all, My 9 yr old son and I ride dirt bikes. I just picked up a shed find 1979 kawasaki KX80. Is there anyone on these forums familiar with old dirt bikes? This old bike needs a lot of attention. Does anyone have parts, information or parts bikes out there? I have surfed the web for hours to research and find parts information and thought that I might get lucky finding parts through a less formal approach. Thanks, Tony
I am an avid motorcyclist. (I was a motorcycle training instructor for the state of California for about 15 years, and I've been riding for about 40 years.)

Some online dealers specialize in selling old motorcycle parts just for your bike. See:
1979 Kawasaki KX80(KX80A1)US Parts, 1979 Kawasaki KX80(KX80A1)US OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com

A great place to find parts for an old motorcycle is eBay. You would be surprised at what you can find.

Another great place to find parts is at local motorcycle swap meets. (Depending on where you live.)

You should join a Web-based Kawasaki discussion groups and ask about what others have available. For instance, here is a group for the similar KX60:
Kawasaki KX 60 discussion group

You can post wanted ads, for free, on your local CraigsList in the motorcycle section.

There are motorcycle wrecking yards all over the country, and they have a system where they can get in touch with each other and locate parts for you. See:
Motorcycle Salvage Yards | ATV Salvage Yards | Motorcycle Junkyard

Finally, your local Kawasaki dealer may have an old-fashioned (physical) bulletin board where you can put up a 3 x 5 card asking for parts from fellow Kawasaki owners.

I hope this helps.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacaroni2 View Post
One of dads friend knows and has some things on those. i will ask him sometime if i see him
QUOTE Thanks
iMacaroni2

iMacaroni2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21" iMac duce core and a 15" I7 MBP

Thanks to the both of you. I have been to bikebandit,eBay,craigs'..etc. I am hoping that someone here has a friend that knows a friend who has some parts/bikes that I could acquire at a reasonable (non eBay) cost. Please ask around your area. I may just find the parts I'm looking for. Thanks for everyone's input and time, Tony
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Farting now illegal in African country | Hummanities project »