New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Another disaster heading for Queensland?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

As if the poor folks in the State of Queensland haven't had enough trouble with all the flooding, it looks like a Cat 5 Cyclone (Hurricane) may be heading their way.
Attached Images
File Type: png IDA00041.png (22.4 KB, 11 views)
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Their weather lately makes our little ice storm look like a walk in the park.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Yes this cyclone is said to be as big as hurricane katrina. And has the potential to do as much damage if it hits a town.
Or for other Aussies, it's potentially another Cyclone Tracy.

And here in Australia we call them TC whatever. The TC = tropical cyclone.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

She'll be right. We'll bounce back up!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Ugh, that's horrible. Thoughts are with you, our friends down under.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Cyclone Yasi: Category Five Cyclone | Anna Bligh issues warning
Quote:
Too late to leave: residents told to bunker down
Staff reporters
February 2, 2011

Cyclone Yasi to disrupt power, mobiles, food
Queensland Premier Anna Bligh says residents should prepare to live without many essential services as Cyclone Yasi bears down on Queensland.

Evacuation centres in Cairns are rapidly filling up as residents are told it is too late to flee the city ahead of Cyclone Yasi's arrival.

With wind speeds of 295km/h recorded, storm surges of up to 7 metres have been predicted to hit Cardwell, between Townsville and Cairns, as the cyclone's expected arrival at midnight combines with a high tide.

Regional Traffic Co-ordinator Inspector Robert Waters had told motorists their window to leave Cairns had effectively closed.
So it should hit the coast around midnight. In 12 hours from now.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I spent 15 years working for FEMA (computer and electronic repair) and can remember going out on disaster deployments in the aftermath of a Hurricane. It's something you never forget. I especially remember Hurricane Andrew hitting southern Florida in 1992. When we got there it looked as if a nuclear bomb had been dropped on the area. That one caused 30 Billion US dollars worth of damage in 92. I had already left FEMA when Katrina hit New Orleans so never got around to getting a first hand look at the damage it caused.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

A quote from the same article I quoted above.
Quote:
Earlier today, Cyclone Yasi was upgraded to a category five cyclone, surpassing the size and destructive intensity of cyclones Larry and Tracy.
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

What Luck. I feel bad for you guys! Flooding, cyclones, what's next? Alien invasion?!
QUOTE Thanks
ClockworkWorld

ClockworkWorld has a spectacular aura about

I really hope that you all stay safe down there... Best wishes to everyone!!

Late 2010 iMac 27 inch  2.93GHz i7 16GB RAM 2TB HDD
2011 Macbook Pro 17 inch Glossy  2.3GHz Quad-core i7 8GB RAM 750GB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockworkWorld View Post
I really hope that you all stay safe down there... Best wishes to everyone!!
Same here. Hoping for the best.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Stay safe all. Thankfully it seems Brisbane is too far away, and will most likely be spared any more major grief, though I suspect you'll catch the tail of it.
Hold on tight!

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

I still stand by my post above, as this is the Aussie way
In saying that, these well wishes are warmly appreciated.

Once again, just as it was with the floods, seems like where I am living being so close, it is amazing that this will not impact me directly, but having friends right in the path at the moment, my thoughts are with them, and if I can, I'll be in the car ASAP to head up and either help once the roads are accessible, or have them come here by plane to share my spare room and living room while the need be.
Only have a queen bed in the spare room, and a blow up mattress, but I will buy some bunk beds if I need to accommodate more people.

As too with those I know, anyone here on MF in the area who needs a hand, or somewhere to stay through this, just say the word.
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
Yes this cyclone is said to be as big as hurricane katrina. And has the potential to do as much damage if it hits a town.
Or for other Aussies, it's potentially another Cyclone Tracy.

And here in Australia we call them TC whatever. The TC = tropical cyclone.
So you guys have a lot of below sea level towns with poorly designed levy systems?

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
So you guys have a lot of below sea level towns with poorly designed levy systems?
Not really. About 20 cyclones form in Australian waters every summer season. And about 5 of those cross the coast each year. Most of them do no damage or little damage that the levys hold. But you can't predict then a monster comes. Like Katrina. No one could predict it years in advance so they could katrina proof the area. Same with this Cyclone. All the little ones don't affect us much. But when the odd monster comes it's hard you know.

[edit] Cyclone Yasi destruction revealed
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news...ectid=10703822
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Everymac forums... | The Winter Blizzard of '11 »