New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Facebook privacy?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Taylor810

Taylor810 is on a distinguished road

My sister has Facebook on her phone. I often text with my sister and figured it would be easier to send text from my computer to her phone via Facebook. I never used Facebook so I setup an email account just for Facebook with the same alias, for an example let's say it's BOBO on acebook and bobo@gmail. For my Facebook picture I used the same avatar I use on all forums. Now here is where I am baffled. Friends on forums who also have my private email are asking me if I am also this BOBO because they are getting suggestions they should be friends with BOBO. The don't know who BOBO is but recognize my avatar. They are asking me if I am BOBO. How is Facebook connecting my personal email connections with the fake one I setup just for this Facebook?
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10.1

I don't know the technical details behind this specific issue, but there is no such thing as "Privacy" on the internet.
Every action you do on the internet will have your footprint and nowadays it is very easy to connect these footprints together and analyse them .... then the next step is 1 + 1 = 2

No need to be paranoid, as long as you know.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
RadioSaigon

RadioSaigon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0

Obviously you are FB "friends" with your sister -you probably "share" more than a few friends. Wen you "friended" your sister as BOBO (Using the same avatar as you normally do) your friends realised that BOBO was you!!! The Friends suggestion thing is one of the features of FB.

Nothing at all unusual in that at all.

Keep it Straight with Rudder
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Facebook? Privacy?

They are complete opposites!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Facebook? Privacy?

They are complete opposites!
+1 million..

Plus, most of these sites spend a SIGNIFICANT amount of time trying to find ways of connecting people..(the social part of social networking)..so this to be expected..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New Glass Stronger and Tougher Than Steel | Opinions Please: Confrontations - good or bad? »