New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

For goodness sake ~ petrol (gas) prices

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

i am sorry, but i cannot make that promise

furthermore, i think gas prices are rising because we have upset the mole people who live in the center of the earth and control the amount of oil near the surface of the earth. I warned those scientists, but like in all science fiction movie, they didnt listen until it was too late. and then mankind as we know it was killed off except for one man, me of course, with 100 women all over the earth, and it was my job to re-populate the entire human species.... the end

source: the most reliable source of information on the internet

QUOTE Thanks
BrianH

Bush's former oil company, Arbusto, was funded by Bin ladin's brother. Wonder why he havent cought him yet?
check out: (or just google "bush's oil company")
http://www.rense.com/general14/bushsformer.htm

Think about alternative energy sources for a moment and our President's former job. Why would the president encourage energy sources other than oil when his company is making a profit off of it?

It's the same debate with any product. The first lightbulb is still going, and has never blown out. Of course the manufacturer can produce a light bulb to last forever but why would they? They would not make any profit after every consumer has one, and they would eventually go bankrupt. Oil is too hot of a commodity right now with the technology of alternate sources dragging because GM and other companies dont want to fund the other sources, because they would be shooting themselves in the foot at the moment with their new Hummer that gets 6-9 miles to the gallon. But hey, if you can afford a hummer, you can afford to put the gas in it.

Thats just my .02 cents.

Brian
QUOTE Thanks
Ghostwolf

Ghostwolf is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Power Mac G4 (Gigabit Ethernet) 400 MHz

Last week was my last week working as a store clerk in a gas station, & my stress level has dropped way down. People are upset about petro/gas prices, & the people who complain the most are those driving the SUVs. Then they got even more upset when i told them that they needed to prepay before they pump their petro/gas. They would say "I want to fill up my tank, & don't know how much it will be." , "If i have to prepay, i'll just go someplace else." My reply "Have a nice day." As if i really cared if they went someplace else or not. Sometimes people would tell me that they would talk with the store manager & get me fired. "Please do.", i would tell them, "I could use the time off from work, & i have another job." lol

When i actually decided to wear a name tag, which wasn't often, i wore one that said Tyler Durden. My last day of work, the store manager asked me where my nametag was because some oil corporate zombies were visiting the station. My response was "But sir, in Project Mayhem we have no names". Blank stare, mouth opened in disbelief, the manager walked away. Later when he saw my Tyler Durden name tag, he gave up. Oh yes i loved my barely above minimum wage job, & took every opertunity i could to be that wrench that fell into the gears. I don't think i will be missed. lol
QUOTE Thanks
dflint

dflint is on a distinguished road

don't the people across the big pond drive mostly diesel vehicles cause the price of petrol??

I have a VW jetta diesel that gets about 40 mpg. I get about 600 miles per fill up, and fill it up every 3 weeks. But it still costs twice the amount it was last summer.

funny how the oil companies want to drill in the wild-life reserves, but don't want to build more refineries. very reminisint of the self made enron electricity shortages...

prices are only going to go up, the easy to get to oil is already gone.

my advise: buy a diesel vehicle, maybe if enough people get them, bio diesel (made from organics) will get cheaper and mass produced.
QUOTE Thanks
JSchultz

interesting thread so far. i have one question though..anyone remember reading something about the gov't wanting to tax or make some way to make money off of alternative energy source cars? like charging tax on the mile on hybrid or hydrogen cars? the very thought makes me pretty angry.
QUOTE Thanks
Zingy

Sorry Im catching this thread late but I think they are absolutly ridiculous. My local is charging me 95.9p for diesel. I remember a few years back everyone was crying out that the prices had shot up to 1 when the crisis was on.. its not far off now in normal usage times.

We should all ride scooters.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchultz
interesting thread so far. i have one question though..anyone remember reading something about the gov't wanting to tax or make some way to make money off of alternative energy source cars? like charging tax on the mile on hybrid or hydrogen cars? the very thought makes me pretty angry.
You are correct sir. The hybrid vehicles are causing citizens to purchase less gas, which means less gas tax collected. So in some states I remember hearing (although I may by wrong) West Virginia, I think, causes you to report your mileage when you pay for the tax just on the vehicle. Every mile you drive they charge you .0004 cents or something like that.

My .02 cents...
Brian
QUOTE Thanks
catchawave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAddikt
i am sorry, but i cannot make that promise

furthermore, i think gas prices are rising because we have upset the mole people who live in the center of the earth and control the amount of oil near the surface of the earth. I warned those scientists, but like in all science fiction movie, they didnt listen until it was too late. and then mankind as we know it was killed off except for one man, me of course, with 100 women all over the earth, and it was my job to re-populate the entire human species.... the end

]
LOL! Scary thing is is that there is a bit of truth to this. Meaning, the problem is OVER population. Supply and demand. Has anyone seen the old movie called, "Soylent Green?" It's a science fiction movie but if people don't wake up soon, well.... ya never know.
We had a college student over from China and he couldn't believe the over population here in the US and especially in our state. I asked him a bunch of questions about his culture and it was very interesting.
He said, "nothing happens until its a crisis or too late." They are allowed one kid and they can have more than one but they are heavily penilized for it.
People are breeding like rats and we are all paying for it.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Actually lots of western countries have the exact opposite problem:
Birth rates are going down and as a consequence state pension systems are collapsing.
(Current taxpayers pay for pensions -> if there are less current tax payers than pensioners the system becomes unsustainable).

But getting back on track: The problem isn't the tax on petrol or the amount of oil reserves, it's oil itself.

It's a finite resource, someday it's going to run out and until then it'll get more expensive every day.

The oil companies know this, the smarter ones are branching out because of it. Most however are trying to keep alternatives out of the market and keep their hold on that license to print money.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacHome Magazine | anyone work in a retail store? »