New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Broadband prices dropping around the world, but not US

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Not falling in Australia either. Well I did move from 512k downloads to 1.5Mbit downloads for the same price in the last 3 years. That's like really bad to only moderately bad. The US is not the only country feeling the sting of high bandwidth prices.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I never understood what is behind there business model if made affordable more people will sign up. The hardware is already in place why not lower the price and get more customers on board increasing the profits.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

Prices aren't going down in Belgium either.
It is all a matter of " Demand and Supply ".
As long as the people in Belgium keep demanding new internet connections, prices will not drop.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Well, this may be a stretch but...

Last week our Cable provider/ISP provider sent us a letter in the mail saying they would give us a $100USD check if we locked in our current price plan for the next 24 months. Basically the same sort of deal most mobile providers give you when you start a new contract.

I looked at it and thought this was a sign that their offerings were going to get better/cheaper/faster (whatever) and they were trying to entice people into being stuck with the more expensive and slower/lamer plans for 2 more years. So I threw it away. I hope I'm right and they speed up their fiberoptic network and deliver some faster connection speeds.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. iPhone 5s 64gb

We got a similar deal through Cox Communications. If we locked in a 2 year deal, they would give us a $100 gift card, and get their internet, telephone, and cable tv with free hd. The only problem is that their internet deal is slower than what I have right now, and mine is slow...even at 6mbps. Also, there are so many penalties attached to that deal.

This is the only time you will hear me demanding a service from verizon. I want their fios SO badly. The only two companies that offer service in my area are att and cox.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Well the8thark personally went from your 1.5Mbit to ADSL2+, up to 20Mbit depending on locality etc., for the same price so it must be cheaper. Fifteen years ago slow old dial up averaged $30pm Australia wide

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post

Not falling in Australia either.
Have to disagree with this one ...... I believe they are here now FINALLY .....

Its because of things like the iPad coming in and Telstra has had to compete with the others now.
When i joined iiNet 3 mnths ago i actually hit there new pricing structure as when i signed and was to be connected they sent me email asking if i would like to review what package i have as they just changed the prices ...

And for the better as well.
With this competition here now i think we will see the prices drop and the Bandwidth increase

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
SweetCosmicPope

SweetCosmicPope has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
This is the only time you will hear me demanding a service from verizon. I want their fios SO badly. The only two companies that offer service in my area are att and cox.
DON'T DO EET! Seriously, I had FiOS lust like you, made the switch from comcast and it was terrible! Speed was unparalleled, but the service was down for long amounts of time (in the month I was with them it went down at least once a week), and I had to have them replace my router within the first week (and they made me wait three days for a tech to come and look at it while I was out of internet). They lied about the pricing and the billing (told me $70 per month with phone and internet, and no fees, taxes, or installation costs, yet sent my first bill as $250!) Their customer service was terrible too! /rant

Now, back on topic: there is too much demand. Dial-up is insufficient for today's internet, and most people are moving to high speed. There's very few competitors in most markets, and so nobody is demanding lower prices. As long as this is the case, prices will remain right where they are. Nobody is going to lower profit margins to gain more users, when people are already moving that way, anyway, regardless of the price.

"That's Peter Graves scat! I'd know it anywhere!"
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
I have Cox and I love it. My speed is super fast (I have the 50/5 tier). They don't even offer a 6mb tier so I'm not sure which one you have, but it's pretty easy to upgrade and not that expensive. They're also going to be have big increases in upload speed in 2011 once they start Docsis 3.0 upload channel bonding.

High Speed Internet Services, Broadband ISP serving Cleveland | Cox Communications

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Google Rolls Out Web Searching Over SSL | What Apple Should Do... »