New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Sweden fights Assange bail as Michael Moore offers to host WikiLeaks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

They should just ship him back to Australia. That is his home. The world is just mad that all their dirty little secrets were found out by him and they want to shut him up. Personally I think him and his wikileaks are amazing. I'm glad the little person is standing up and blowing the whistle on the corruption in the world.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Releasing classified info and exposing corruption are two different things. I'd support him if all he was doing was exposing corruption, but releasing information that can get people killed is a bit over the top. That being said though, he didn't access the info personally it was given to him. The access point should have been cut off long ago but it was not. That's just dumb.

QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

If everybody didn't panic about this then it would have been less of a big deal.

Really, so far it has been some released diplomatic gossip, a few off the cuff remarks, but nothing earth shaking.

If they had revealed that the Isrealis were behind 9/11, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is a secret cross-dresser, or revealed the secret alien base underneath the Antarctic ice then that would have been major.

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. iPhone 5s 64gb

You can't expect panic just yet when all they've released is just the tip of an iceberg's tip! I don't think anything as demeaning as the government thought was going to be released, has been released yet. If they released something about 9/11, it's going to be something that the government doesn't want the people to know.

I'm surprised that the us gov hasn't called any of these current releases fake.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

The guy is a jerk. I hope Michael Moore eats him.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Who is releasing all these secret cables. Assange is only the vehicle surely the security breaches are within the Defense and/or State Departments?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Who is releasing all these secret cables. Assange is only the vehicle surely the security breaches are within the Defense and/or State Departments?
Pfc. Bradley Manning is the person who has been charged thus far. He faces 52 years if convicted of the "leaking info" charges and death if the Treason charges are eventually filed. Wikileaks has not identified him as their source(s), but they have offered to contribute to his defense. Thus far they have contributed nothing.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
The guy is a jerk. I hope Michael Moore eats him.
Well with what MM is into, i think these 2 jokers will get on like a house on fire...

@ Harry Mate i agree, i think the governments need to dig deeper to find where the real leaks are coming from

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Releasing classified info and exposing corruption are two different things. I'd support him if all he was doing was exposing corruption, but releasing information that can get people killed is a bit over the top. That being said though, he didn't access the info personally it was given to him. The access point should have been cut off long ago but it was not. That's just dumb.
It's all about spin. In one light releasing it can get people killed. And in another light not releasing it can get people killed. And I'm sure the lawyers on both sides are working out the best way to spin the facts.

And if the leaks are getting out then I blame the governments and other groups for letting the leaks happen. They need to as said in other posts here, forget these silly lawsuits and find the real whistle blowers.

But to me this whole thing is trying to make governments accountable for their actions. For so long any wrongdoings of the worlds governments are swept under the carpet like they can do no wrong. In business if you do wrong you feel the consequences of this by no sales. But in government if one corrupt party up against another just as corrupt. So there is no really good government to vote for. So you need to blow the whistle to keep the government accountable to it's actions.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
It's all about spin. In one light releasing it can get people killed. And in another light not releasing it can get people killed. And I'm sure the lawyers on both sides are working out the best way to spin the facts.
Spin has exactly ZERO to do with it. Spin only comes into play when those who would see others get hurt by the improper use of information have it in their hands. It's classified information not intended for general public dissemination. I'd really like to see an explanation on how NOT releasing classified information is getting people killed. Most of the stuff he has is classified for a reason (not all though). If it is released to the people who NEED to know it, I'm not sure how that is putting anyones life in danger except those who's lives are put in danger by the very nature of their jobs.

Sure, some of the info is embarrassing to the US government (all Governments have this) and some of it is far more damaging and dangerous than a few red faces. The embarrassment only hurts the administration, the other stuff hurts folks who are not politically involved but may be negatively impacted by by someone with a vendetta.

I do agree about finding the source of the leaks. If you understood how the classified info system works you might realize just how hard that can be. If the Pfc they have in custody was the source, then it's done. There are other safeguards that have been put in place but frankly they took far to long to implement once they knew their was a problem with the system.

I don't see this having anything to do with corruption and I'm not sure what supposed corruption has been exposed by this. Airing dirty laundry isn't exposing corruption.

QUOTE Thanks
Lbatson21

Lbatson21 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad

More power to the guy and everyone else supporting it. Why are there secrets and spies anyway? Probably because if the general public knew what all went on they wouldn't put up with it. Its all just meant to make some people feel more important than others and makes everything more complicated than it should be. People can't get along and its kind of sad where we're headed. Glad someone at least attempts to get some truth out there before we don't have a chance and we never will know anything except what they want us to. Years ago before the media outlets were purchased to feed us b/s this would have been called investigative reporting.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbatson21 View Post
Why are there secrets and spies anyway?
Um, a little thing called human nature?

You are assuming that all "classified" information must somehow be bad or destructive in nature. Far from it.

QUOTE Thanks
Lbatson21

Lbatson21 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad

Quote:
Um, a little thing called human nature?
Maybe some humans nature...

Quote:
You are assuming that all "classified" information must somehow be bad or destructive in nature. Far from it.
And you're assuming that I was assuming anything. I never said anything you just came up with and this is what causes most of the problems out there.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

If they can prove that an American conspired with a foreign national to obtain the documents and then release them to said foreign national, they can charge the American for treason and the foreign national with espionage. Believe it or not, this is viewed as legally different than a government employee merely stealing documents and just dumping them on some journalist unsolicited. These are capital crimes according to US Code and because these people have no apparent State sponsors, there would appear to be little of trade value in deferring prosecution. No, I don't mean trading a spy for a spy. I mean intelligence about an enemy or insight into their methods, motivations, trade-craft and structural coherence. He's a man without a haven right now.

Anyhow, I have to believe that since the cat is out of the bag as far as the leaks go, there is less motivation to show restraint as far as going full out on snagging these creeps, their employees and those who contributed safe haven, money and materiel to their efforts. I'm sure there is also every motivation to use the confusion, suspicion and paranoia to clean house relating to enemies foreign and domestic. Were it me, I'd probably spin it all and toss out some info I was dying to leak on an enemy, but couldn't leak due to a lack of deniability. Mr. Assange has presented himself as a great target to pin whatever on and let some unsavory types, other than my team, take the risk of sanctioning him. Maybe I could even put something out there with Mr. Assange's name attached, that would manipulate two of my enemies to start fighting each other and thus weaken them both in relation to myself. Al Qaeda -vs- Los Zetas anyone? Maybe leak something (true or false) to allow a weak leader to overcome a stronger leader within an organization of interest to make an easier to manage objective? When something like this drags you down, you can bring your enemies down to keep the relative advantage in your favor. Mr. Assange would make an excellent Lee Harvey.

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
Maybe some humans nature....
I'm sorry. I didn't realize that you were somehow superior to the rest of the human race.

Quote:
And you're assuming that I was assuming anything. I never said anything you just came up with and this is what causes most of the problems out there.
Am I, or are you just trying to play it off like I'm the one who's misunderstanding here?

So you were not making assumptions? Ok. I had had hoped you were not as naive as you sound. Guess I was wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
If they can prove that an American conspired with a foreign national to obtain the documents and then release them to said foreign national, they can charge the American for treason and the foreign national with espionage. Believe it or not, this is viewed as legally different than a government employee merely stealing documents and just dumping them on some journalist unsolicited. These are capital crimes according to US Code and because these people have no apparent State sponsors, there would appear to be little of trade value in deferring prosecution. No, I don't mean trading a spy for a spy. I mean intelligence about an enemy or insight into their methods, motivations, trade-craft and structural coherence. He's a man without a haven right now.

Anyhow, I have to believe that since the cat is out of the bag as far as the leaks go, there is less motivation to show restraint as far as going full out on snagging these creeps, their employees and those who contributed safe haven, money and materiel to their efforts. I'm sure there is also every motivation to use the confusion, suspicion and paranoia to clean house relating to enemies foreign and domestic. Were it me, I'd probably spin it all and toss out some info I was dying to leak on an enemy, but couldn't leak due to a lack of deniability. Mr. Assange has presented himself as a great target to pin whatever on and let some unsavory types, other than my team, take the risk of sanctioning him. Maybe I could even put something out there with Mr. Assange's name attached, that would manipulate two of my enemies to start fighting each other and thus weaken them both in relation to myself. Al Qaeda -vs- Los Zetas anyone? Maybe leak something (true or false) to allow a weak leader to overcome a stronger leader within an organization of interest to make an easier to manage objective? When something like this drags you down, you can bring your enemies down to keep the relative advantage in your favor. Mr. Assange would make an excellent Lee Harvey.

That.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Price of Admission: America's College Debt Crisis CNBC 12-21-2010 | Some british humour parodying tech products »