New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Best TV to get out of these?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

romants

romants is on a distinguished road

Well i pretty much know nothing about Televisions so I need some help

tv 1: Samsung PS50C550G1FXXY 50" Full HD Plasma TV
Samsung 50'' Full HD 1080 Plasma TV - Led, Lcd, 3D, Plasma TV - JB Hi-Fi

tv 2: Panasonic TH-P50U20A Viera 50" Full HD Plasma TV
Panasonic VIERA 50" Full HD Plasma TV - Led, Lcd, 3D, Plasma TV - JB Hi-Fi

tv 3: LG 50PK550 50" Full HD Plasma TV
LG 50'' Full HD Plasma TV - Led, Lcd, 3D, Plasma TV - JB Hi-Fi
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

The LG over the Panasonic as it has the better contrast ratio.
The Samsung doesn't mention the contrast... so you'd wanna check that out, but I'm not a big fan of Samsung myself anyway... anything Samsung for that matter.
The LG also because it has the razor edge (slim line outer edge around the screen).

If I had to choose based on not seeing them in person against eachother, I'd definitely go the LG.

That's my 2cents worth
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I personally wouldn't buy anything from any seller that fails to list model numbers along with their electronic equipment. For all anyone know those are last years models they have left over trying to unload them at the current models prices. Since they seem to have stores all over the country there, that should be easy enough to find out.

None of those TVs are 3D.

Don't be fooled by manufacturers contrast ratio listings. There is no industry standard used by them and they all have their own formula. It's a non-issue amongst most of the top brands.

Out of those three:

After looking at them in the stores for several hours over a month long period, I went with Panasonic, albeit mine are last years model. I was impressed enough to buy two, a 42" and a 58". Got it so cheap, I paid the $250 for professional calibration on one of them for the first time ever - the adjustments made from the factory shipped made it a totally wasted $250. Panasonic is generally held to be the leader in plasma with Pioneer out of the picture now.

LG would be my second. I have no issue with their quality &/or customer service - at least here in the states.

Between those two, (discounting the fact I have liked Pannys for a lot of years) I'd be looking pretty much solely at: 1) price, 2) appearance if less than $50 apart. You should be happy with either. And a heads up - looking at the picture in the store does no good whatsoever. The brand with the most profit for the seller, will be the one that they "might" have spent time adjusting for a good picture in store. With TVs today, you have to turn to reviews to make any sort of educated decision.

That other one, no question they make good stuff. Just pray to god you never have to call their customer service. It is the absolute worst in the industry.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Panasonic Plasma's are the best there is, so I'd go with that.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
romants

romants is on a distinguished road

you'll find the model details when you press to buy online
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

I have 3 Samsung TVs. The most expensive one just went out - and I found exactly what Bob said - their customer support is horrible. It is so bad in fact - when I tried calling for repair - the repair guy had to give me a special number to call - so I could get the TV looked at. Anyway - any TV can fail - but after my experience with customer support and Samsung, I am hesitant to buy anything from them anymore.

Also - their debug process consisted of me checking my cable connections and bypassing my UPS and Surge protector and plugging directly into the wall. Surprise - that didn't do anything. Anyway the actual lcd panel is out so I am looking around as well (It's basically the cost of a new TV to get it replaced)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Personally I would NOT buy a Plasma TV!!!

First let me mention that I do have a 50" plasma TV...so I'm speaking from experience...and I would be saying..."Jeez...I probably shouldn't have purchased a $1200 plasm TV." Hey sometimes you make a mistake.

Also...you can visit many websites comparing the pros & cons of LCD vs. Plasma TV's...and for the most part...those "Pros & Cons" would be valid.

So why no plasma TV?...here's why...screen burn in! My plasma TV is a somewhat recent model...and it was supposed to have all the latest & greatest "anti-burn-in" technology. I still get screen burn-in (or maybe through my VERY diligent efforts)...screen "shadows or ghosting" as opposed to actual screen burn-in.

Here is what happens or what I have to deal with on my plasma TV:

- if you switch from an "HD channel" to an "SD channel" you get the "bars" on each side of the display. In my case my bars are black. If I watch an SD channel for like 10-15 minutes...then switch to an HD channel...at the interface between the "black bar" and the edge of the SD channels broadcast video...when on the HD channel...I get a VERY prominent vertical line where the "black bar" used to be when viewing the SD channel. This line...takes hours & hours to go away (even using the anti-burn-in features of the TV). To get around this...whenever I watch an SD channel..I have to change the aspect ratio of the SD channel to "wide-screen" which stretches the SD channel broadcast horizontally to almost fill the entire screen with the SD video. Of course the downside to this is the SD video is distorted & you don't get the correct 4:3 proportions.

- You know those little logos in the bottom right of the screen that each channel has...those burn in (or create long lasting shadows) on the display. Which again can take hours & hours to disappear.

- if you use your cable companies "channel guide" for more than a couple minutes...this will leave burn-in/shadows on the plasma display.

- if you pause a TV program while you go to the bathroom, go to the kitchen to get a drink or food, or answer the phone...you will get "burn-in or shadows" that take a long time to disappear.

- if you like to play video games on your TV (PS3, Xbox, etc.)...this will leave BIG TIME shadows or "ghost images" on the TV!!! Again...even with all of the anti-burn-in features on a plasma TV this happens.

So I'm recommending do not buy a plasma TV for this one & only reason. I have absolutely no other issues with plasma. If I was able to do my Big-Screen TV purchase all over again...I would definitely get an LCD TV.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

This can be an issue with plasma TVs and is definitely something to be aware of.

Although, Have to say - I get none, as in zero, nada of those issues on either of my Pannys. And I have my 58" connected to my Win7 HTPC where I've had it sit on the desktop for several hours at a time while listening to music.

I have the 42" connected to my PS3. Nope, have not had a single issue with it either.

Could be a big part of why they're rated at the top in the market at this time.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
This can be an issue with plasma TVs and is definitely something to be aware of.

Although, Have to say - I get none, as in zero, nada of those issues on either of my Pannys. And I have my 58" connected to my Win7 HTPC where I've had it sit on the desktop for several hours at a time while listening to music.

I have the 42" connected to my PS3. Nope, have not had a single issue with it either.

If this is the case I would REALLY like to know what I'm doing wrong. One of the anti-burn-in features on my plasma TV is "pixel shift". With "pixel shift" you have multiple choices on:

- how often to do the "pixel shift" (I have mine on the most frequent pixel shift setting)
- and there's a setting for the distance of the pixel shift...I have mine set for the most "pixel shift"

There may be other anti-burn-in features as well...I would have to check my settings again. But there is certainly no question...I get screen burn-in whenever I do what I mentioned above (pause the program, channel logos, play video games, etc.).

I'm VERY unhappy when it comes to my plasma TV!!!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Not a huge fan of plasma TVs either. Beyond the technical issues that Nick brought up, don't they run hotter and use more energy than the newer LED TVs?

We bought a 42" Samsung LED TV with internet and it's awesome, very happy with it.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Don't really know what settings I've used on mine. I was pretty concerned about this when I got the 58" and freaked out every time I saw one of those stupid logos sitting on the screen for the first month or so. Just never did see an issue which is why I upgraded the bedroom TV about 3 months afterwards. What brand is it?

Plasmas do run a little warmer and are not as energy efficient as an LCD. LCD black levels and a couple of other nit picky items have not caught up with the plasma, but for the most part, the LCDs of today are very good and I've got no issue with someone making the choice of LCD over plasma. Once you get passed the point of straining your eyes to see the difference and settle down to just enjoying, you'll never really notice the difference between them unless you've got them sitting side by side. Got mine because the price was too good to pass up when I was looking for a replacement. Picked up the 58" under $1300 just over a year ago. It was a steal at that time.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
What brand is it?
Ok...don't freak-out when I mention the brand...but it's a Samsung. I get the feeling that the Samsung brand is not "well-loved" here at Mac-Forums...but I'm not really sure the brand should effect the plasma anti-burn-in technologies.

But if I'm wrong...and there is something inferior regarding Samsung's anti-burn-in technology on their plasma TV's...I would love to hear about it. Since it's really frustrating to hear that other folks have no burn-in issues...and I got them in big-time.

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to be able to play my PS3 on my plasma TV without burn-in or ghosting fears!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
Not a huge fan of plasma TVs either. Beyond the technical issues that Nick brought up, don't they run hotter and use more energy than the newer LED TVs?

We bought a 42" Samsung LED TV with internet and it's awesome, very happy with it.
+1 for LED TV

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Really interesting to read Nick's issues there.
I have an older Hitachi plasma (4-5 years now), which has a lot of burn prevention tricks, and I can honestly say that I have never suffered screen burn and some of the channels we watch have particularly lary icons on screen. Nor do I get the issue with aspect ratio changes either.
I really can't understand it, as nearly all Plasma's have had this virtually eradicated now.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
codda

codda is a jewel in the roughcodda is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G

Quote:

Reiterate the above... Have 2 Panasonic 42" Viera(s)...3 years old...As good as the day they were purchased. I'm not a gamer though...but no issues whatsoever... Panasonic makes a **** good plasma.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« App Store Requests | Microsoft abandons Zune media players in defeat by Apple's iPod »