How do I pack my imac for a move?
    I have a late 2009 21 in imac. I saved the box as well as the inserts, but I'm not sure if the inserts are fully intact. I don't have any of that protective plastic stuff that went over the monitor. I would like to pack it back in the box, but I don't want to scratch the glass on the screen. Any suggestions?

Specs:
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    Bubblewrap?
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Personally I wouldn't worry about it too much...since I don't think that you'll have a problem (since you have the original box & inserts...and I don't think that the inserts will mar the display.

But just in case...(and you want to cover the iMac display with something before using the foam inserts)...try and find some cloth that's about the thickness of a men's underwear T-shirt, and cover the display.

In fact...since you have the smaller 21" iMac (and not the much larger 27")...you could probably just buy a pack of a larger size mens underwear T-shirt...and just slip it over your iMac without even modifying it (or maybe just cutting off the sleeves). Since this material is pretty thin...you could then slip the original foam inserts over the cloth T-Shirt...and then put the iMac into it's box.

Hope this helps,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    4.1 Mac Pro. 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. PM G5. iPhone 6S+ 64gb Gold. Apple Watch 42mm.
    How far of a move is it? I'm thinking about having someone in the back seat of a car holding it in their lap...if you are too worried. Or stuff it back in the box with lots of newspaper.
    “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Being an old government (now retired) employee, we have moved more times than I care to remember. We always hand carried the more delicate electronic items such as computers, stereo receivers, etc.

If possible, put the iMac in its original packing and hand carry it to your new location or as was suggested, put in the back seat of your car.

Specs:
    17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    or as was suggested, put in the back seat of your car.
    And tie it down. Nothing worse then having to suddenly stop or take a sharp corner and have the mac fly all over the car.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
    And tie it down. Nothing worse then having to suddenly stop or take a sharp corner and have the mac fly all over the car.
    I've had this happen. Luckily I was just transporting a 10-15 year old Mac that I probably paid $10-$20 bucks for...and no damage was done (but could have). I DEFINITELY wouldn't want it to happen to a much newer & more valuable Mac!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
    Put it in the seatbelt

Thread Information